What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

If Kick Ass is Psychology 101, what does that make Fight Club?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

I don't know, I've only seen it once.

I still like it better than American Psycho though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

American Psycho is hilarious. 8)

Daxdiv

I saw Amazing Spider-Man yesterday. It was pretty good. Loved the new take on Peter Parker, yet it was more true to the comics than the Raimi movies. Peter was a wise cracker as always, and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy was enjoyable. Damn I love that woman. Well at least with Peter seeing Ben's death this time means we won't get something as stupid as Sandman orign. I thought the Lizard/Connors as a character was handled well. He could have looked more lizard like since his form almost reminded me of the Goomba's from the Super Mario Bros movie.

Also since I went to AMC, they gave me and my brother 2 of those little pins.

Avaitor

i've been hearing mostly good things about ASM, but I'm still on the fence about it. I'm still that way with TDKR too, but that's still just law of averages over anything.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm mildly interested in seeing TASM. I'm one of those few people who actually liked Raimi's Spider-Man movies for the most part (yes, that includes 3, and ironically 2 was my least favorite of them), and it feels really awkward to have a complete reboot for the movie franchise only 5 years after the last Raimi Spider-Man film. That said, some of my friends might be seeing it next week, so I may just tag along with them. Also, while I'm honestly not that interested in a new Spider-Man film itself, I've got to give credit to Marvel for having had a pretty good track record with their movies for the past couple of years (the only bad one I can think of is probably Ghost Rider 2, but everyone knew that would be bad from the get-go), and this movie has been getting positive reception just like most of their films have in the past few years, so I may check it out if its a decent movie in general.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought the Sandman plot was the best part of 3.

But I'm still not sold on ASM. I just don't really see the point. Also, is it true that all the scenes from the early trailers were cut from the movie? That's weird if so.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 05, 2012, 07:13:25 PM
I thought the Sandman plot was the best part of 3.

Same here, honestly. I know it totally ignores the character from the comics and is generally just a product of the film series, but judging the film series by itself, I thought that plot was handled rather well. It didn't seem stupid or contrived to me, and I actually like having an enemy to Spider-Man that you could sympathize with and who wasn't really a villain. The only part of the film that I can really get the criticism behind is the inclusion of Venom. I admit myself that Eddie Brock's development felt way too rushed, but that's just because it was forcefully shoehorned into the film at the last minute. Its worth nothing that Sam Raimi had never planned to put Venom in SM3 in the first place, but was forced to by the meddling of the studio, so I at least think that he should be spared the blame for that part of the film, which really isn't his fault, even if you guys think the film is garbage in general. At any rate, I still like the movie for what it is. It still entertains me and I don't even consider it a guilty pleasure, either.

QuoteBut I'm still not sold on ASM. I just don't really see the point. Also, is it true that all the scenes from the early trailers were cut from the movie? That's weird if so.

I actually kind of like if scenes from the trailer don't appear in the movie. That leaves more surprises for the movie itself.

Dr. Insomniac

But I'm still not sold on ASM. I just don't really see the point. Also, is it true that all the scenes from the early trailers were cut from the movie? That's weird if so.
Given that Sony released over 25 minutes of footage, it'd be quite odd to see all of that cut.

Spark Of Spirit

I forgot to mention that Netflix just got the Rugrats movie so I watched that. Not a bad flick, but that number with all the newborn babies at the beginning of the movie is still bizarre to me now.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 05, 2012, 08:36:09 PM
Given that Sony released over 25 minutes of footage, it'd be quite odd to see all of that cut.
Dunno, it's just what I heard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 05, 2012, 09:00:33 PM
I forgot to mention that Netflix just got the Rugrats movie so I watched that. Not a bad flick, but that number with all the newborn babies at the beginning of the movie is still bizarre to me now.
Yeah, that's a weird as fuck scene. I always thought so, even when I first saw it. It doesn't fit the show or movie at all really, and there's no real joke behind it.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Thing remake. The recent one. The ending goes into the beginning of the old movie apparently.

Too many "modern horror" annoyances for me. Oh no the plot device didn't work for the split second we needed it, why don't we help that guy instead of just standing there watching him get killed, hey lets all constantly separate for no particular reason, and of course it ends with the modern trope of the female surviving.

I don't think I'll be watching this genre anymore. It doesn't seem to try very much.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was never interested in seeing the recent take on "The Thing," myself. The original black and white film did its own thing and is a classic B monster movie in its own right, whereas John Carpenter gave his spin on the story and as far as I'm concerned created the definitive movie adaptation of the novel its based off of. When one film already pretty much nailed things as close to perfectly as possible, I automatically have no interest in seeing the same story told over again, though going by Desensitized's description, its just as bad as I expected it would be.

Spark Of Spirit

There's one particular scene near the end that is so ridiculous in how dumb it is where almost every character is killed point blank in the same room while everyone stands around either fumbling with the flamethrower (that was just being used literally two seconds prior) or letting other people get killed while they stared at it happening.

I was tired of those contrivances ten years ago, now I have absolutely no tolerance for them.

Get a new bag of cliches, Hollywood.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, a bunch of my friends are going in a group together tonight to see The Amazing Spider-Man (I know, on a Monday night, that's crazy, isn't it? :D ). I'm still on the fence about whether I care enough to go or not, but I may just end up going at the last minute since all of my other friends from back at home seem to be going. If I do end up seeing the movie I'll share my thoughts on it, but don't expect me to go around bashing Raimi's SM movies in comparison to this one like how other people have been doing, since I actually like Raimi's Spider-Man movies.