What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I thought it was supposed to be just a straight-up comedy. Laughed my way through the whole thing.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on September 25, 2012, 02:07:27 PM
I finally got to watch Cabin in the Woods the other day, and... I'm honestly not sure of how I liked it.

I'm not a fan of meta for the sake of meta horror flicks like the Scream movies, but this actually did get some laughs out of me and works better as a send-up to horror cliches. At the same time, the script is probably Whedon at his most smug and irritating. The library scenes in Buffy were cute a minute or two at a time, when used sparingly in comparison to the action and plot, but imagine a movie consisting almost entirely of them, with bits of action sprinkled in here or there. That doesn't sound as fun, does it?

But it also has some legitimately spooky moments, and the actors were solid, so there was good in this film. But I can't say I'd recommend it to people who aren't big on Whedon, like Desen.
Thanks for the short review, judging by your description I'm pretty sure I wouldn't dig it.

That movie poster for the movie was awesome, though. I miss posters like that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It's only an alternate poster. I went with it over the more accessible and basic one you probably would've seen at theaters, because yeah, it kicks ass.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

So it wasn't convoluted? That was my one concern with it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 28, 2012, 05:45:48 PM
No, what made you think it was convoluted?

But I just realized, if murder is impossible to do in the future without getting caught, then why did one of the hitmen kill Joe's wife and leave her there?

Avaitor

Surrogates kind of ruined my taste for Bruce Willis flicks for a while, but Looper does have me intrigued. I may have to get a group out for that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on September 28, 2012, 05:48:30 PM
Surrogates kind of ruined my taste for Bruce Willis flicks for a while, but Looper does have me intrigued. I may have to get a group out for that.
It's nothing like Surrogates. And besides, JGL cancels out his aftertaste.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 28, 2012, 05:47:28 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 28, 2012, 05:45:48 PM
No, what made you think it was convoluted?

But I just realized, if murder is impossible to do in the future without getting caught, then why did one of the hitmen kill Joe's wife and leave her there?
Well, time travel and dealing with yourself could easily lead into convolution which is why I was asking. Nice to hear that isn't the case, though!

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 28, 2012, 05:49:27 PM
Ehhhh, Levitt seems like a gigantic tool to me. Even when he's in movies that I otherwise like, such as (500) Days of Summer and Inception.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on September 28, 2012, 05:52:44 PM
Ehhhh, Levitt seems like a gigantic tool to me. Even when he's in movies that I otherwise like, such as (500) Days of Summer and Inception.
Well, it's by Rian Johnson. And don't pull an excuse about how Brick sucked. A mainstream movie that gets over 90% on RT is hard to come by.

Avaitor

Why would I say that Brick sucked, when I haven't seen it?

I am interested in Looper, BTW, in case I didn't make that clear.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, the previous posts just made you come off as resistant to the film.

Avaitor

I'm not big on Bruce Willis' career as of late or JGL in general, but that doesn't mean that I'm not open.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 29, 2012, 12:48:05 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 28, 2012, 05:52:44 PM
Well, it's by Rian Johnson. And don't pull an excuse about how Brick sucked. A mainstream movie that gets over 90% on RT is hard to come by.

This.

He directed two of the best episodes that Breaking Bad has to offer ("Fly" and "Fifty-One"). That's good enough for me.

Don't have plans to see it this weekend, but I'll try and get down there sometime during the week. It looks quite good.