What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

While Universal and Paramount are celebrating their 100th anniversaries this year, Warner has a big set planned to celebrate their 90th. They have a game to guess  some of the movies that will be on this huge-ass set, and here's what I found:

The Public Enemy
Mutiny on the Bounty
A Night at the Opera
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Gone With the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
The Philadelphia Story
The Maltese Falcon
Inception
The Big Sleep
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
An American in Paris
A Streetcar Named Desire
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Singin' in the Rain
A Star is Born
East of Eden
Rebel Without a Cause
The Searchers
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Ben-Hur
North by Northwest
How the West Was Won
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Doctor Zhivago
Cool Hand Luke
The Dirty Dozen
2001: A Space Odyssey
Bullitt
The Wild Bunch
Dirty Harry
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
A Clockwork Orange
The Exorcist
Enter the Dragon
Dog Day Afternoon
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
All the President's Men
Superman
The Shining
Caddyshack
Clash of the Titans
The Right Stuff
Casablanca
The Color Purple
The Goonies
Full Metal Jacket
Lethal Weapon
Batman
Goodfellas
The Bodyguard
Unforgiven
The Fugitive
Interview With the Vampire
Natural Born Killers
L.A. Confidential
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Dark Knight
The Hangover

Very few duds in here, and there might be even more. Amadeus didn't show up, but it was an answerable question in a couple of the sets, and there was a brief clip of Paul Ruebens talking about him shooting Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, so these might make it in too.

Even if you don't plan on getting the set (I probably won't either), you gotta admit that there's a lot to check out here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Like, looking over the list again, the only movies I really don't like are 300 and Wizard of Oz (sorry), and I'm not too interested in The Bodyguard or Interview With the Vampire either.

But everything else is a great selection of classic and contemporary. Even the few most recent choices they have are strong.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's an insanely impressive collection, no doubt. Easily the best one out there not focused on a specific set of films of a series/actor/director or whatever.

Unfortunately, that means Lethal Weapon 1 without 2. The original is fantastic, but the sequel is almost as great (some consider it better).
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, it's kind of odd how so few sequels are here. Only TDK made it, it seems.

My belief is that first impressions are typically the most impactful, but I don't know how many people would consider Sorcerer's Stone the best HP film or book.

Edit: I will say though, that I do have a soft spot for the first 2 books and movies, before the franchise became too needlessly dark and continuity heavy. While there are still plenty of highs in the whole series, I kind of prefer when HP was just a well-written kids story instead of a mediocre fantasy saga.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I guess that makes sense, if I had to choose between a sequel and more more entries in set like this, I would give the nod to more individual entries.

More variety that way.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 03, 2012, 05:42:27 PM
and Wizard of Oz (sorry), 

I've found the lone person in the world who thinks this.

Avaitor

I just never got the big deal over it, then or now. I hate every song besides "Over the Rainbow", but primarily, it just depresses me to watch anything with Judy Garland in it, after learning about what they did to her behind the scenes.

A Star is Born is my exception to that rule, mostly for James Mason.

New blog!

talonmalon333

So the other night, I saw the original Ring. Tonight I saw the original The Grudge.

Any thoughts on these movies?

Avaitor

The original Japanese versions? I haven't seen either, but I have seen and like the American Ring.

My friend also gave me the manga version of The Ring when cleaning house, which I haven't read.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 03, 2012, 11:06:47 PM
The original Japanese versions? I haven't seen either, but I have seen and like the American Ring.

My friend also gave me the manga version of The Ring when cleaning house, which I haven't read.

I saw the American Ring many years ago, probably when it was still new. I do think it's was a pretty good movie, especially for a remake. I remember when I first saw the remake years ago, there was a certain scene... I won't say much about this scene (I'll just say, it's a death that takes place in the late part of the movie, hopefully you know what I mean). Now this was a part that I had always remembered, moreso than most other parts of the movie... And having seen the original now, I can confirm my opinion: this is one of the scariest scenes in any horror movie I've ever seen.

Avaitor

Got to make this on their site, haha.

And as you can tell by the quote, Amadeus will indeed be a part of this set as well. Pretty sweet.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Saw Frankenweenie. Feels just like a Tim Burton movies from the late 80s. The townsfolk painted as stupid strawmen, casual racial stereotyping, random references to Hammer movies that don't add anything to the film, and bit character with more personality than half the cast.

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac