What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

If the Hurt Locker won, then I'd bet on Zero Dark Thirty.

Though Lincoln seems like the most obvious one, you never really know these days.

Quote from: Avaitor on January 10, 2013, 02:24:55 PM
Tarantino is the new Scorsese.
:butbut:

His movies are not exactly the type of films the academy typically likes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:32:12 PM

Yet they keep on getting nominations.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 10, 2013, 07:33:12 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:32:12 PM

Yet they keep on getting nominations.
How many times has he been nominated?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

QuoteHow many times has he been nominated?
21 total nominations across his entire career, including 2 wins.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 10, 2013, 07:40:16 PM
I mean for best picture.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 10, 2013, 07:40:16 PM21 total nominations across his entire career, including 2 wins.

I think he's specifically referring to Best Picture nominations, though.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 10, 2013, 07:40:16 PM
I mean for best picture.
Oh. 3.

Avaitor

Maybe I'm over exaggerating a little, but considering the type of movies Tarantino tends to make, he films have earned a surprising amount of buzz over the years.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 10, 2013, 07:49:47 PM
Maybe I'm over exaggerating a little, but considering the type of movies Tarantino tends to make, he films have earned a surprising amount of buzz over the years.
Yeah, but usually he's up against some pretty stiff competition. This year isn't all that strong, though, so I could see a dark horse win. But I doubt it.

It's irrelevant anyway because one year someone will make a mediocre musical and he won't win a single award. Because that's how they roll.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:52:58 PM
It's irrelevant anyway because one year someone will make a mediocre musical and he won't win a single award. Because that's how they roll.
Well, Les Mis is nominated, so...

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 10, 2013, 07:58:53 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:52:58 PM
Well, Les Mis is nominated, so...
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, there's your winner, folks!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of mediocre musicals....I think The Two Towers was a better movie than Chicago. I was actually pretty pissed that year that it didn't win Best Picture. Hell, I would've actually gone for any of the other nominees over Chicago, really.

That's not to say that I think Chicago is a bad film, but after watching it at least twice, I don't get what all of the hype was about.

Then again, I'm probably not the best judge of musicals to begin with. I'm hardly an expert in the genre.

Spark Of Spirit

I also think Fellowship is better than A Beautiful Mind.

But then, Juno was actually nominated for best picture, too. Sometimes you just have to remember that they're tastes are weird.

Avaitor

Stage adaptations hardly make for good movie musicals. As opposed to adaptations of plays, where you're able to add more to the scope of your world or use the original's limited settings as a strength towards powerful claustrophobia, with musicals, you tend to lose everything if you go too far in one direction or the other, depending on which route you take.

Not to mention that most of the time, the studios that adapt these musicals want to hire big names to gather attention towards their products, and that seldom ever works. See: Renee Zellweger in Chicago, Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, Russell Crowe in Les Mis.

That's why the best movie musicals are the MGM and Astaire/Rogers classics. These were made directly for film, and use the power of cinema to their advantage.

New blog!

talonmalon333

The thing about making musicals into movies is that they seem to want to put big stars in the lead roles rather than legit singers, which has led to subpar results like Sweeny Todd and Phantom of the Opera. They also frequently make these changes that ultimately hurt it. Still, there are some that have worked. Jesus Christ Superstar was great, as it had basically the same cast as the stage version, and it was filmed in a beautiful location. And I don't need to speak for classics like The Sound of Music.

In the end, movie adaptations will never be as good as the original musical. They just won't. Even putting aside the stronger casts that they typically have, there's nothing like seeing a stage show in front of you and hearing it that close. Seeing Les Miserables live is, to put it lightly, out of this world. It really is amazing. There's just no way a film can do that any justice. With that said, I haven't seen the movie version of Les Mis yet (my friends and I are waiting till the rest of the musical crowd has already seen it), but it does sound like an adequate adaptation.