What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I just saw John Carpenter's They Live. The best way I can describe it is that it feels very much like a long episode of The Twilight Zone....a completely fucking bad-ass episode of the Twilight Zone. This may also be the only good movie in existence (or at least that I know of) to star a (former) professional wrestler, so there's always that as well.

While its certainly not his best movie (IMO, that'd either go to Halloween or The Thing), its probably the last genuinely good movie that he ever made. Its a shame that his quality totally went to shit in the 90's, but I am glad that I finally got to see this film, as I've been wanting to watch it for a while, and personally I really enjoyed it.

Avaitor

Theatrical musicals will never be this good again.

This isn't even one of my favorites, but you'll never see any with this much talent again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Well, what do you consider a good musical?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on January 30, 2013, 02:48:47 PM
The one where Neil Patrick Harris tried to date Codex, but got cockblocked by Mal.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 30, 2013, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 30, 2013, 02:48:47 PM
The one where Neil Patrick Harris tried to date Codex, but got cockblocked by Mal.
Okay, yeah.

Musicals need more hammers.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Just watched Frankenweenie with my parents. My family also watched Hotel Transylvania, but I wasn't interested.

It was...okay. Its not bad, but nothing really stood out to me. I loved the whole homage to 50s sci-fi, going so far as to make the whole thing black and white, but the story just didn't get me.

I do know my dad hated it, but he hates just about every movie I've watched with him.  :sweat:

GregX

Spending my day not watching the Superbowl by watching Tarantino flicks instead. Just watched "True Romance" and am now watching "Reservoir Dogs". "Pulp Fiction" is next.

Avaitor

The original Conan the Barbarian.

Still awesome. Still confused as to why the Critic thought this needed to be reviewed.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on February 10, 2013, 12:35:06 AM

Still awesome. Still confused as to why the Critic thought this needed to be reviewed.

I think he just wanted to do it because he was doing a whole month on Arnold, anyways. He actually stated that he likes the first Conan movie, though in his case he says its a guilty pleasure. He legitimately doesn't like the sequel, though, and he gave that film a genuinely bad review.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 10, 2013, 12:39:19 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on February 10, 2013, 12:35:06 AM

I think he just wanted to do it because he was doing a whole month on Arnold, anyways. He actually stated that he likes the first Conan movie, though in his case he says its a guilty pleasure. He legitimately doesn't like the sequel, though, and he gave that film a genuinely bad review.
The second sucks, but it's enough to do a review on. The review for the first one, as imperfect as the film is, felt unnecessary.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw Ed Wood for the first time ever. Brilliant film. Its jarring to think that Tim Burton actually used to direct some really good stuff on this caliber. His output over the last decade has been mostly a drastic drop in quality. I mean, I actually liked films like Big Fish, Corpse Bride, and even Sweeney Todd, but those films were the exceptions rather than the standard.

Now, the film itself doesn't exactly compel me to check out Ed Wood's entire body of work, but I may give Plan 9 from Outer Space a look someday. I do however now have a desire to check out more of Bela Lugosi's classics after watching this film. Speaking of which, Martin Landau did an amazing job in his performance as Lugosi. He definitely deserved his Oscar win for that part.

Avaitor

I think Ed Wood combines Burton's two strongest and most prominent themes better than any of his films- his love of the occult, and his appreciation for the quirky little guy.

You could make an argument for some of his other films to be better, but I'd say this is his rounded-out masterpiece.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on February 11, 2013, 12:56:42 AM
I think Ed Wood combines Burton's two strongest and most prominent themes better than any of his films- his love of the occult, and his appreciation for the quirky little guy.

I'd add to that his distinct sense of humor as well. This film has a lot of legitimately funny moments even if its not really a comedy, and a lot of Burton's older films did a great job of showcasing his humorous side. The guy can be hilarious when he wants to be.

This scene in particular is just gold.

Foggle

Ed Wood is Burton's masterpiece IMO. It's also the only film of his that I truly enjoy, Batman aside.