Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 18, 2013, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 18, 2013, 01:28:24 PM
I saw Die Hard 5 this weekend. It was pretty good
I heard... otherwise.
It was better than 2. About the only issue was that it was too fast and the chase scene near the beginning had too much shaky cam. It wasn't as good as 1 and 3 and wasn't quite up to 4's revival but it was fun enough.

But then most people tried to tell me that 4 wasn't any good, and they were wrong. Short of a Lethal Weapon 5 (yeah right), I think Die Hard is still at the top of modern action movies.

Though I still need to see The Expendables 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The reception for it is insanely bad. I still want to see it just for the sake of it, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

IIRC, the only Die Hard movie to get two thumbs up from Siskel & Ebert was 2.

It isn't one of the best action movies ever made or anything, but I didn't expect it to be. It isn't better than 1 or 3, and 4 was the better "modernization", but it was decent. It was just way too fast.

I really hope he gets to make that last film, though. The ending of this one really sets it up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 18, 2013, 02:39:12 PM
IIRC, the only Die Hard movie to get two thumbs up from Siskel & Ebert was 2.
There are more than 2 movie critics though.

Spark Of Spirit

Anyway, I liked it.

I also watched The Outsiders: The Complete Novel. I always enjoyed that adaption of the novel.

Avaitor

So I was watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey a week or two ago, and a scene of Avatar was played. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be seen on a non-HD TV, but the effects in that movie already look dated, and even faker than when I first saw it.

Not a good sign for Cameron.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

My film professor showed Tree of Life this week. On the second day, only half the class showed up.

People really seem to hate this one.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OMG! Its the dad from Boy Meets World! I never knew he was in this movie....

Yeah, but this is still another one I have to see.

Avaitor

I also did not know that he was in that.

Anyway, I didn't plan to see the new Oz movie, but DMR is making sure that it's worth a lot of extra points if you see it this weekend, and my mom does have interest in it, so we might go either tonight or tomorrow, depending on if my sister would want to or not.

New blog!

Foggle

Just saw Natural Born Killers. Pretty good movie, and probably even more relevant today than it was in the 90's, though I can't help but feel that a more subtle script and less art house direction/editing would have made its satire on modern tabloid culture far better. I now find myself wondering what Tarantino's original script was like.

Avaitor

Yeah, apparently much of the dialogue in Tarantino's script was retained for the movie, but Stone mostly changed the events and perspective points in the film. For some reason, according to the WGA, this is enough to give Tarantino only a "Story" credit, even though it's the story that was changed the most from his script. Go figure.

I'm not sure how the movie would have been made if stuck to the original script, but I do know that Tarantino is considerably more subtle than Stone.

New blog!

Foggle

And when Tarantino is more subtle than you, well... :lol:

Quote from: Avaitor on March 09, 2013, 05:22:09 PM
Yeah, apparently much of the dialogue in Tarantino's script was retained for the movie, but Stone mostly changed the events and perspective points in the film. For some reason, according to the WGA, this is enough to give Tarantino only a "Story" credit, even though it's the story that was changed the most from his script. Go figure.
Ah, so it was the same thing basically, but a lot less weird. Strange that they gave him a story credit instead of a writing credit then, sounds like it should have been the other way around.