What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I forgot how smooth Dirty Harry's soundtrack is. Damn.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 23, 2013, 04:26:15 PM
I forgot how smooth Dirty Harry's soundtrack is. Damn.
Before they got overly campy and niche, cop movies had awesome soundtracks. Though they did seem to pick up again around Lethal Weapon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I just watched Platoon again, and man, it's easy to forget how many surprising names are in here. Besides Charlie Sheen, there's Keith David pre-Goliath, John C. McGinley pre-Dr. Cox, and even fucking Johnny Depp is in there.

Kinda crazy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Watching Beasts of the Southern Wild for class. I've been told that this is kind of like a live-action Miyazaki movie.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 30, 2013, 09:44:34 PM
Watching Beasts of the Southern Wild for class. I've been told that this is kind of like a live-action Miyazaki movie.
Sounds like a movie that doesn't feature cars driving faster than jet planes or a fascist alien regime attempting to derail an interplanetary death race with laser cannons.

Do yourself a favor and watch Redline instead.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on April 30, 2013, 10:17:01 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 30, 2013, 09:44:34 PM
Sounds like a movie that doesn't feature cars driving faster than jet planes or a fascist alien regime attempting to derail an interplanetary death race with laser cannons.

Do yourself a favor and watch Redline instead.
But Redline's not on the final. :shit:

Avaitor

I was supposed to watch Elvira Madigan for my final, but I got in an accident before I could go to my class to see the second half. >_>

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I watched Wrath Of Khan for the first time.

Okay, now I 'get' Star Trek.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

That really is the best of the movies.

Be sure to at least watch III and IV while you're at it.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The problem might have been that I started with the first movie so long ago. That doesn't leave the best impression on someone unfamiliar with the series.

If anyone here hasn't seen the first movie, I don't recommend watching it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know its bad when even hardcore Star Trek fans say it sucks (well, most of them, anyways).

I saw Wrath of Khan a LONG time ago, like when I was a kid (I also saw Insurrection, which is best left forgotten, anyways). I don't remember anything about the movie, but I'll definitely get around to re-watching it one of these days.

Speaking of Star Trek, I'll probably end up seeing Into Darkness next weekend if I get the chance. I didn't think that the first movie in the reboot was anything great by any stretch, but I did think it was a solid, "fun" movie, so the sequel is pretty much one of the only few summer blockbusters this season that I'm somewhat interested in seeing (aside from the typical Marvel-movie fare which I always see without question).

Avaitor

Yeah, I'd go as far as to say that I is the worst of the TOS movies. I actually don't have V as much as most people.

As for TNG, the best one by far is First Contact, and that repeated Wrath of Khan's best parts in a weaker way. Which tells you just how appealing those movies are.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just came back from seeing Iron Man 3, and overall, I really enjoyed it. I can immediately say that its a much better and far more coherently directed film than Iron Man 2, and while I wouldn't say that I personally like it more than Iron Man 1, I would say that it was good enough to the point where I liked it as much as I liked Thor (though keep in mind, all of you guys seem to like that movie to varying degrees). What I'm trying to say is that its another solid entry in the Marvel movie line-up, and to give it a little more credit its an above average entry.

That said, I'm going to give a semi-spoiler-ish warning to any of you who are probably hardcore comic book fans (don't worry, I'm not outright revealing any plot-points)....

Spoiler
If you are a big fan of the Mandarin as a villain in the comic books, you guys are going to be disappointed with his interpretation here. Being that I hardly ever read any comics, it didn't bother me, but I saw first-hand a group of comic book fans who were really peeved at how they handled that character in this movie. I just figured I'd give you guys so fair warning. As for me, I don't know what I'm missing out on in the comics, so in this case maybe my ignorance allowed me to enjoy the movie more than I would otherwise.
[close]

Avaitor

Man, whatever happened to our talkbacks? I'll do one tomorrow.

As for me, Iron Man 3 was definitely a step-up over 2. I'll get more into it tomorrow, but I will say this

Spoiler
while the ending didn't necessarily set up anything for the upcoming movies, it's totally worth seeing, especially for fans of a certain character.
[close]

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the scene after the end-credits was a good bit of comic relief, and it was nice to see the cameo. ;)

As for the movie's actual ending:

Spoiler
To me it felt like it was the perfect way to close out the film. Within the Iron Man movies, it comes off like a solid conclusion to the trilogy that we have so far, and it makes sense in that regard since Robert Downey Jr. had expressed that he wasn't too interested in doing any more Iron Man movies past this one. Having said that, though, the ending leaves things just open enough so that you know Tony Stark will be making a return in The Avengers 2, despite the fact that he destroyed most of  his Iron Man suits.
[close]