What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Almost forgot to post about this. Last night we rewatched Attack of the Clones... And I'm going to be honest. I think this one's alright. The story is still weak and the CGI is still overkill. But the action does make this one entertaining, and Christopher Lee is great as usual.

Will get to Episode III later tonight.

talonmalon333

Almost forgot to write about this. The other night, I got around to rewatching Episode III.

And to be honest, this one is a good movie. It's far from perfect. But it's good, and I really think it justifies the existence of the previous two movies. Course, one of the reasons why it works is that it's the movie that's closest to the original trilogy and the one that merges them together. But I was honestly surprised by how much I cared about what was going on. You really care about Anakin, Padme, and Obe-Wan. Speaking of Anakin, Hayden Christensen is still a bad actor. But he feels more natural here than he did in Episode II largely because he's silent for a good portion of it, and he legitimately looks pretty cool with the hood (he's in that ugly middle state between the good hero, and the polished dark lord). And of course, the Emperor gives another phenomenal performance. And this is the movie that cements the fact that he truly is the most powerful (it's interesting seeing Yoda being unable to win a fight). His fight with Yoda has to be one of the best fights in the prequel trilogy, probably second to Anakin's with Obe-Wan. And when Anakin is burning alive, I like how they don't pull any cliches, like having him beg or play to Obe-Wan's former love. Instead, he just screams his undying hate toward him. Overall, I just enjoy how dark, ugly, and despicable this movie gets.

talonmalon333

Rewatched the 2002 Spider-Man movie, which has to have been one of the first superhero movies I saw when it first hit theaters. Honestly, it's just as great as I remember.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The movie was always pretty cheesy in a lot of places, but it also had a lot of heart to it. Personally I still really enjoy it.

talonmalon333

Yeah, it is pretty cheesy, but I just think it's such a fun movie

Also, just got done rewatching Spider-Man 2. I do think it's just as good if not better than the first movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I finally got Netflix back (at least for now), and they FINALLY have Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan available for streaming online, as well as the original Star Trek TV series. I think tomorrow I'll go ahead and watch Space Seed and then immediately follow it up with The Wrath of Khan.

Avaitor

All of the series are up, as well as Insurrection.

You don't need to watch that though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 11, 2013, 10:48:38 PMAll of the series are up, as well as Insurrection.You don't need to watch that though.

The funny thing is that Insurrection is the very 1st Star Trek film that I ever watched, and I saw it as a kid way back when it first came out in theaters. Needless to say, it wasn't exactly a very enticing introduction to the series, which may explain why the franchise has eluded me for the most part, up to this point in my life. I'm slowly trying to remedy that, now, but the damage was already done. I haven't seen Insurrection since I was a kid, but I remember hating it back then, and I don't exactly have reason to believe that my opinion would change if I saw it now, other than maybe finding it worse than I originally did.

Avaitor

Yeah, I watched all of the movie last year after I got into the franchise. You only really need to do II-IV, VI, and maybe First Contact.

Also, word of warning- the TOS episodes up on Netflix are the remasters, which replaced all of the original special effects with newer, shiner ones. Some are integrated into the show better than others. You'll probably see what I mean in no time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 11, 2013, 10:57:03 PM
Yeah, I watched all of the movie last year after I got into the franchise. You only really need to do II-IV, VI, and maybe First Contact.

Do you have any episodes of TOS to recommend on top of those films (other than Space Seed, of course)?

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 11, 2013, 11:02:04 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 11, 2013, 10:57:03 PM

Do you have any episodes of TOS to recommend on top of those films (other than Space Seed, of course)?
Really, a lot of episodes from the first 2 seasons hold up pretty well. Some are sillier than others, but the actors' chemistry between each other, Shatner's hammy acting and all, as well as some strong storylines make the show worth checking out. However, you might as well just forget that there was a third season.

Also, word of warning- the TOS episodes up on Netflix are the remasters, which replaced all of the original special effects with newer, shiner ones. Some are integrated into the show better than others. You'll probably see what I mean in no time.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 11, 2013, 11:05:32 PM
Really, a lot of episodes from the first 2 seasons hold up pretty well. Some are sillier than others, but the actors' chemistry between each other, Shatner's hammy acting and all, as well as some strong storylines make the show worth checking out. However, you might as well just forget that there was a third season.

So, basically Star Trek pulled a Lucas? :srs:

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 11, 2013, 11:08:29 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 11, 2013, 11:05:32 PM

So, basically Star Trek pulled a Lucas? :srs:
haha, yeah, but I don't think they were THAT bad of an edition. If you find the original episodes, the effects do like pretty cheesy by today's standards.

The Blu-Rays, where the remasters come from, give you the option to watch either those or the original episodes, which I believe are also restored as much as they could be, but Netflix doesn't give you that option.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm sure they were cheesy, but I always thought that was part of the charm of the original series when viewed by modern standards. Also, having modernized effects that are not well-integrated into an older series and stick out like a sore thumb can look just as cheesy, if not worse, than dated effects that at least fit within the standards of their respective production for its time.

But, if the new effects do fit in relatively well for the most part, then it shouldn't bother me too much.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention that I re-watched The Avengers the other day on Netflix. It was still as awesome as ever, but I also still strongly maintain my opinion that Captain America was a better movie, overall.