What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Uh, why did von Trier put a dedication to Tarkovsky at the end of Antichrist? I know that Andrei wasn't a very hopeful director himself, but I don't think he would have made an ending where a woman's clit gets cut off by scissors or a guy's junk gets smattered by a block of wood.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I also want to know why von Trier made a movie where a bunch of assholes get killed by a planet. And why he made the Dogme movement only to abandon it after realizing it was kind of dumb. And why he seems like a douche in interviews. And why...

Avaitor

Like I said before, the more of his movies I see, the less I want to get into his mind.

He's better than Harmony Korine. That's all I can really say.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

I watched Tim Burton's Batman for the first time in years last night, and you know what? It holds up. Very well!

I like the cinematography. I like Danny Elfman's score. I like the nods to old police movies. I like Michael Keaton. I like Jack Nicholson, even if he's no Heath. Hell, I even dig some of Prince's soundtrack. I won't bother to compare the movie to Nolan's in any way, even with that reference, because why should I? They're both well-made endeavors into the Batman mythos.

I'll try to get to Returns in the next few days. But I won't be watching Schumacher's movies.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 25, 2013, 12:43:38 PM
I watched Tim Burton's Batman for the first time in years last night, and you know what? It holds up. Very well!

I like the cinematography. I like Danny Elfman's score. I like the nods to old police movies. I like Michael Keaton. I like Jack Nicholson, even if he's no Heath. Hell, I even dig some of Prince's soundtrack. I won't bother to compare the movie to Nolan's in any way, even with that reference, because why should I? They're both well-made endeavors into the Batman mythos.

Thank you! This is exactly how I feel about the film, and I'm tired of people always comparing it to Nolan's Batman films.

I mean, these are 2 VERY different interpretations of the character, and while some comparisons are inevitable, you can't really judge the films by the same standards. Tim Burton's Batman is still plenty dark, but it also has a very self-aware silliness to it that it plays up just right so as not to take away form the more serious aspects of the movie, but to still have a little bit of fun with the caped crusader and his psychotic nemesis.

Nolan's Batman is straight-up dark and gritty crime noir, and it's good crime noir at that, but it's nothing like Burton's take on Batman to begin with, and that was the point. Nolan wisely wanted to distance himself from what was at the time the most popular iteration of Batman, and instead wanted to give people his own unique spin on the character, which he did.

Now, what ticks me off is the people who find that they like one or the other better, and then act like snobbish ass-holes and insist that the other style is a piece of shit that shouldn't exist. And that's pretty much what always annoys the hell out of me.

For what it's worth, The Dark Knight is my favorite Batman movie, but Tim Burton's Batman (1989) is easily my 2nd favorite for just how damn well everything is put together, from the 1940's style streets of Gotham to the excellent score by Danny Elfman (even Nolan lovers have to admit that his Batman films have nothing on that), and I generally just enjoy how the entire movie does pretty much feel like a live-action comic book, rather than a realistic interpretation of a comic book. On that note, I like this film better than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises, personally.

QuoteI'll try to get to Returns in the next few days. But I won't be watching Schumacher's movies.

Man, Returns was a really strange one. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, but I do still think it can be genuinely enjoyable in some places. I just feel that it's biggest problem is that Tim Burton may have been given TOO MUCH creative control with this movie.

Foggle

The Tim Burton Batman movies are great! I hope you enjoy Returns as much as I do.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 25, 2013, 02:00:35 PM
I mean, these are 2 VERY different interpretations of the character, and while some comparisons are inevitable, you can't really judge the films by the same standards. Tim Burton's Batman is still plenty dark, but it also has a very self-aware silliness to it that it plays up just right so as not to take away form the more serious aspects of the movie, but to still have a little bit of fun with the caped crusader and his psychotic nemesis.

Nolan's Batman is straight-up dark and gritty crime noir, and it's good crime noir at that, but it's nothing like Burton's take on Batman to begin with, and that was the point. Nolan wisely wanted to distance himself from what was at the time the most popular iteration of Batman, and instead wanted to give people his own unique spin on the character, which he did.
Very true. Burton's able to have fun with the material and himself, while Nolan gets right to the point and only occasionally adds in comic relief, otherwise focusing primarily on action, tension and drama. Both styles are completely different from each other, but they both work well. All I have to say.

(even Nolan lovers have to admit that his Batman films have nothing on that)
y'no, I'd argue that Hans Zimmer's only good score is The Lion King. Can't say his work does much for me at all.

QuoteI'll try to get to Returns in the next few days. But I won't be watching Schumacher's movies.

Man, Returns was a really strange one. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, but I do still think it can be genuinely enjoyable in some places. I just feel that it's biggest problem is that Tim Burton may have been given TOO MUCH creative control with this movie.
I think I've revealed before that my two least favorite main villains of Batman are the Penguin and Catwoman, which makes me feel kind of iffy about checking it out again. But I know that Foggle's very partial to Returns, and I have good memories of it as a kid, so I'll go for it anyway.

New blog!

Foggle

Aw, Catwoman's cool (but only when a good writer's at the helm). I've never much liked Penguin either, but Danny DeVito's performance as him is too hilarious to not love.

Really, just look at Returns as Tim Burton directing an episode of the 1960's Batman TV series, and you'll find a lot to like.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on August 25, 2013, 02:19:31 PM
Really, just look at Returns as Tim Burton directing an episode of the 1960's Batman TV series, and you'll find a lot to like.
Sold!

I will say that I thought Anne Hathaway kicked ass. And who doesn't like Burgess Meredith or Eartha Kitt?

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on August 25, 2013, 02:31:38 PM
And who doesn't like Burgess Meredith or Eartha Kitt?
The villain actors in the Batman show were perfect. I will never not love Cesar Romero's Joker.

talonmalon333

I'm a bit in the middle. I think Burton's Batman holds up pretty well. I just can't really understand when people say that the first Batman is still an excellent or particularly great film, but then say that The Spider-Man and Superman movies are merely good but silly/aged films. I personally think those two are much better (I also think that Nolan's three Batman movies are better), than either of Burton's Batman movies. On that note, I don't even see what makes Batman Returns so much worse than the first movie (I just think Returns is a bit too much typical Burton style).

I think my favorites parts of the two movies are the Joker and Catwoman (who I think are Batman's best villains), the music, and the art direction.

Avaitor

Like I've said before, I'd like Superman more if Gene Hackman was not Lex. I'm sorry, but he's horrible in the role.

Granted, I still haven't seen 2.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 25, 2013, 02:49:32 PM
On that note, I don't even see what makes Batman Returns so much worse than the first movie (I just think Returns is a bit too much typical Burton style).
I'm probably the only person in the whole world who prefers Returns to Batman (I still like the first one, of course). As for the Spider-Man and Superman films, I dunno. The former don't appeal to me much anymore, and the latter never appealed to me at all.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on August 25, 2013, 02:54:18 PM
Like I've said before, I'd like Superman more if Gene Hackman was not Lex. I'm sorry, but he's horrible in the role.

Granted, I still haven't seen 2.

Quote from: Foggle on August 25, 2013, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 25, 2013, 02:49:32 PM
On that note, I don't even see what makes Batman Returns so much worse than the first movie (I just think Returns is a bit too much typical Burton style).
I'm probably the only person in the whole world who prefers Returns to Batman (I still like the first one, of course). As for the Spider-Man and Superman films, I dunno. The former don't appeal to me much anymore, and the latter never appealed to me at all.

I don't think gene is horrible here. I just think the direction to play him up for laughs was a bit lame. If they kept the part serious I have a feeling he would've been fine.

Spider-Man and Superman might be corny movies, but I just think they are so much stronger in the story department, actually building up the characters and developing the relationship between the heroes and their love interests. I never really saw any chemistry with Batman and that girl (who I can't even be bothered to remember the name of :P).

Avaitor

You don't remember Vicki Vale's name? You must not have read All-Star Batman & Robin.

New blog!