What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 13, 2013, 03:03:43 PMMy favorite horror comedy might be An American Werewolf in London.

I agree, but it's legitimately good comedy AND legitimately good horror, which is why I don't actually consider it to be a campy movie in the same vein as Return of the Living Dead or Re-Animator, hence why I didn't mention it with those movies. But yeah, it is basically my favorite combination of horror and comedy put to film. I guess if I were to do a top 6 list, it would be:

1. An American Werewolf in London
2. Return of the Living Dead
3. Hot Fuzz
4. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
5. The Host
6. They Live

You could argue that I'm kind of cheating with The Host, since it's more of a monster movie than a horror movie, but fuck it, I just count that as a sub-genre of horror, myself. If I had seen enough horror comedies to make a top 10 list, than Re-Animator would probably on there, but there are still a bunch that I need to see, including Zombieland (which, unfortunately, I don't think is ever going on Netflix).

Oh, and before anyone mentions it, I personally don't count the Ghostbusters movies as horror comedies. To me, they are clearly just comedy movies with a lot of special effects. They don't ever skew the line down the middle like the other movies on my list. That said, if I were ever to do a top 10 list of my top 10 favorite comedy movies in general, both of them would be on there (and yes, I mean BOTH of them).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Come to think of it, it's also been way too long since I've seen either Gremlins or its sequel. In fact, let me just check....

**Leaves Momentarily**

**Returns**

....Yeah, fuck you, Netflix! :anger:

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2013, 03:24:37 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 13, 2013, 03:03:43 PMMy favorite horror comedy might be An American Werewolf in London.

I agree, but it's legitimately good comedy AND legitimately good horror, which is why I don't actually consider it to be a campy movie in the same vein as Return of the Living Dead or Re-Animator, hence why I didn't mention it with those movies. But yeah, it is basically my favorite combination of horror and comedy put to film. I guess if I were to do a top 6 list, it would be:

1. An American Werewolf in London
2. Return of the Living Dead
3. Hot Fuzz
4. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
5. The Host
6. They Live

You could argue that I'm kind of cheating with The Host, since it's more of a monster movie than a horror movie, but fuck it, I just count that as a sub-genre of horror, myself. If I had seen enough horror comedies to make a top 10 list, than Re-Animator would probably on there, but there are still a bunch that I need to see, including Zombieland (which, unfortunately, I don't think is ever going on Netflix).

I tend to not think of Hot Fuzz as a horror comedy. It would've been #1 if I counted it though. It actually might be my favorite comedy overall. :P

Most seem to prefer Shaun of the Dead, though. I highly disagree with them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 13, 2013, 03:40:41 PMI tend to not think of Hot Fuzz as a horror comedy. It would've been #1 if I counted it though. It actually might be my favorite comedy overall. :P

Why wouldn't it, though? Despite the fact that the movie is partly a parody of cop-based action films (and maybe just action films in general), it is also a parody of horror films. In fact, the horror/mystery plot takes up way more time than any of the stuff parodying action movies, so to me it fits the bill for a horror comedy. You could argue that just like Ghostbusters its more of a straight-up comedy, and I certainly would agree that it isn't scary in the least (though, most of these movies really aren't scary in the first place), but I would argue back that it still gets some really grotesque imagery in there that's more associated with horror films than comedy, and on top of that a lot of the atmosphere is made to be like that of a horror movie, even if it's the perfect set-up for some great jokes, so overall I think that Hot Fuzz qualifies as a horror comedy. If anything is a bit of a stretch it's probably They Live, but I just had to include that one since I find it to be such an underrated film.

QuoteMost seem to prefer Shaun of the Dead, though. I highly disagree with them.

I thought SotD was OK, myself. Perhaps I need to re-watch it someday, but the first time I saw it, I thought it was amusing and entertaining, but it just didn't make me laugh that much. A lot of the jokes felt a bit too obvious and predictable for me. I thought the comedy writing in Hot Fuzz was a big improvement, personally.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Why wouldn't it, though? Despite the fact that the movie is partly a parody of cop-based action films (and maybe just action films in general), it is also a parody of horror films. In fact, the horror/mystery plot takes up way more time than any of the stuff parodying action movies, so to me it fits the bill for a horror comedy. You could argue that just like Ghostbusters its more of a straight-up comedy, and I certainly would agree that it isn't scary in the least (though, most of these movies really aren't scary in the first place), but I would argue back that it still gets some really grotesque imagery in there that's more associated with horror films than comedy, and on top of that a lot of the atmosphere is made to be like that of a horror movie, even if it's the perfect set-up for some great jokes, so overall I think that Hot Fuzz qualifies as a horror comedy. If anything is a bit of a stretch it's probably They Live, but I just had to include that one since I find it to be such an underrated film.

You might be right. It does have more horror elements than I remembered when making that post. A lot of the imagery and that cult stuff is horror-like.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
I thought SotD was OK, myself. Perhaps I need to re-watch it someday, but the first time I saw it, I thought it was amusing and entertaining, but it just didn't make me laugh that much. A lot of the jokes felt a bit too obvious and predictable for me. I thought the comedy writing in Hot Fuzz was a big improvement, personally.

I do like Shaun of the Dead, likely more than you did (rewatched it a week or two ago and had a lot of fun), but it wouldn't be in a top 10 comedy list. Definitely not as funny or clever as Hot Fuzz.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 13, 2013, 03:40:41 PM
I tend to not think of Hot Fuzz as a horror comedy. It would've been #1 if I counted it though. It actually might be my favorite comedy overall. :P

Most seem to prefer Shaun of the Dead, though. I highly disagree with them.
Same. :D

Avaitor

I LOVE Shaun of the Dead, but Hot Fuzz is clearly the superior film.

I really need to see The World's End, btw.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, any of the movies on my list that any of you guys haven't seen are basically perfect recommendations for Halloween season. :thumbup:

Foggle: That means you need to get onto watching An American Werewolf in London and Return of the Living Dead, ASAP.

talonmalon333

By the way, I find it funny that Night of the Living Dead branches off into three different continuities.

On one hand, it leads into Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, and so on.

But in another universe, it leads into the events of Return of the Living Dead.

However, there is also a sequel to the "extended" version of Night of the Living Dead that has new (and awful) scenes filmed decades after its release.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, that's not technically the case.

In Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead is referenced to as an actual film that happens to be based off of a real event, but obviously in that case the real event wouldn't have had the same characters from the film, so it wouldn't really be a case of NotLD branching into RotLD. Instead, RotLD just takes place in its own separate Universe in which something similar to NotLD happened, but not that exact same story.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2013, 05:16:18 PM
Well, that's not technically the case.

In Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead is referenced to as an actual film that happens to be based off of a real event, but obviously in that case the real event wouldn't have had the same characters from the film, so it wouldn't really be a case of NotLD branching into RotLD. Instead, RotLD just takes place in its own separate Universe in which something similar to NotLD happened, but not that exact same story.

True. At the very least though, an event at least based on Night of the Living Dead leads into three different story branches. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw Insidious. Overall, it's not as good as The Conjuring, and it wasn't even really that scary, but at the same time I liked the unique twist it had half-way through, and it certainly was a very interesting film to watch, so count it as one of the better horror movies that I've seen come out of the past few years. Of course, that alone isn't saying much, but considering how many flops this genre has had, its refreshing to see some genuinely good movies come out of it.

Next time I get a chance, I'll look into Sinister.

talonmalon333

And coincidentally, my family chose to watch Dracula tonight. I still think it's an all time classic. Lugosi is just perfect. It's just that the acting of everyone else is stiff, with the exception of Renfield who's just chewing the scenery non-stop. I also wonder how Dracula bit Renfield in the first place when he was wearing that dangling cross. Also, I remember E-K mentioned earlier that the shot of Dracula glaring at the screen became less effective the more they did it. I actually kind of think the opposite. The first few times they use it, I don't like it. He uses that glare way too early on in the film. But once he gets his proper introduction in the castle 10 minutes in, I like it from that point on. The Spanish version avoids this issue very well.

I always love seeing it, but as far as Universal horror films go, I certainly like Frankenstein more, as well as Bride of Frankenstein which is my favorite of them. I might even like The Wolf Man more. However, Dracula definitely beats The Mummy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Every time you see the glair you get more used to it. And it works best at the beginning when Dracula is a more mysterious character. Once you learn everything about him, he just seems more human than he should.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2013, 11:23:07 PM
Every time you see the glair you get more used to it. And it works best at the beginning when Dracula is a more mysterious character. Once you learn everything about him, he just seems more human than he should.

There's one part in particular where he uses the glare at the beginning that I don't like. It's right before he drives Renfield to his castle. I always thought he was using it too early right there and made it too obvious to the viewer who he is.