What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 22, 2013, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 22, 2013, 08:43:48 PMFinished it up and I still like it as much as the first time I've seen it. I still need to see 'The Town', but from this I'd have to say he's pretty underrated as a director.

Underrated? All 3 of his films so far (unless he's directed more that I don't know about) have gotten positive reviews from critics, and Argo won Best Picture during this year's Academy Awards. I'd say he gets plenty of recognition, myself.
I've heard quite a few people toss him off because of his reputation as an actor and refuse to give his films a chance. It's more of a perception thing, in my opinion.

Anyway, my friend might have a copy of The Town so I'll try to borrow it from him.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 22, 2013, 09:05:44 PMI've heard quite a few people toss him off because of his reputation as an actor and refuse to give his films a chance. It's more of a perception thing, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that those people are in the vocal minority, though. I know plenty of people who have seen and loved all of his films. As for me, the only one I didn't like was Gone, Baby, Gone, his first foray into directing a feature-length film, but I think The Town managed to warm me up to his film-making a bit, and Argo just hit it out of the ball park. I certainly wouldn't say that I'm a fan of the guy as a director (and I sure as hell don't care for him as an actor), but I've seen enough good out of those 2 movies to genuinely want to give the next film he happens to direct a viewing.

QuoteAnyway, my friend might have a copy of The Town so I'll try to borrow it from him.

Have you also seen Argo, yet?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 22, 2013, 09:10:10 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 22, 2013, 09:05:44 PMI've heard quite a few people toss him off because of his reputation as an actor and refuse to give his films a chance. It's more of a perception thing, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that those people are in the vocal minority, though. I know plenty of people who have seen and loved all of his films. As for me, the only one I didn't like was Gone, Baby, Gone, his first foray into directing a feature-length film, but I think The Town managed to warm me up to his film-making a bit, and Argo just hit it out of the ball park. I certainly wouldn't say that I'm a fan of movies that he directs (and I sure as hell don't care for him as an actor), but I've seen enough good out of those 2 movies to genuinely want to give the next film he happens to direct a viewing.
Quite possibly you're right. Though I really did like his first outing quite a bit I'm really eager to see what he did after it since I also heard good things about it. It's just hard to get around to getting films around here and seeing as Netflix JUST got Gone Baby Gone, it'll probably be a long time until it gets either of his follow ups.

QuoteAnyway, my friend might have a copy of The Town so I'll try to borrow it from him.

Have you also seen Argo, yet?
Pieces, but not the whole thing. From what I saw it looked really good and I enjoyed what I saw. I'll probably watch it the whole way through after I see The Town. I'm definitely interested in seeing him direct more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 22, 2013, 09:19:06 PMThough I really did like his first outing quite a bit

Well, most people would agree with you, anyways. Pretty much everyone else I know loves that movie.

But, I do know that those same people find his other 2 films to be at least as good, if not better, than GBG. Knowing you, I think you'd like them. The main difference is that in both of those films, Ben Affleck stars (in addition to directing) rather than his brother, Casey. While I'm not a fan of the guy as an actor, I guess you could say that he as a director clearly knows how to best utilize himself as an actor in each scene. In The Town, he comes off as a morally gray but also really likable character whose willing to put his life at risk for someone he cares about. In Argo, he's just a really good guy who means well but is scared out of his mind at what he has to do, yet he's the one who takes the initiative to do what no one else is willing to in order to save other people.

Avaitor

Hal Needham has also passed on from this world. Can we talk about how sick Smokey and the Bandit is?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

Best of the Best 2
I'm a big martial arts film buff. Probably the main movies I'll watch. The 1st movie is the best in the series, but this one has some nice stuff as well, although, story wise, if that's what you're looking for I'd look elsewhere.

Demolition Man
It's been so long since I've seen this movie, and I don't care what folks say about Wesley Snipes. The man make some great movies, and had some cheesy/awesome lines.

talonmalon333

So last night I rewatched Carpenter's The Thing. Still an excellent movie. The special effects are out of this world, but the movie doesn't crutch on them. It's great at suspense.

Also, I noticed something about the ending, that I'm not sure how well known it is.

Spoiler
When MacReady and Childs are sitting at the end, the movie draws a lot of attention to MacReady's breath. Being that it's in a cold location, of course his breath would be really foggy whenever he talks. However, the same can't be said for Childs. When he talks, you don't see anything like that. Very interesting...
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

Just watched The Cabin in the Woods. I thought it was quite a funny subversion of horror movie tropes myself, but it was definitely more of a comedy than a horror movie, so if it was supposed to be that, it succeeded, but if not, it ended up being enjoyable to me anyways. I also appreciated how it wasn't needlessly and pointlessly gore heavy and the characters didn't act stupid for no good reason, which already made it a better horror movie film than most of the crap that comes out these days, imo.   :awesome:

Avaitor

Tonight I decided to watch the first sequel to the Omen again. It's nowhere near as good as the original, but it does have some rather good ideas and its own share of sick imagery.

It's also worth noting that the film was partly responsible for the creation of this little song here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched Night of the Living Dead, and then watched James Rolfe's Monster Madness commentary on it. It was hokey in places, but I think the film still holds up. Now I need to rewatch Dawn of the Dead.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Despite what I said, I actually skipped re-watching Dawn of the Dead and went straight to Day of the Dead, which aside from bits and pieces of it, I had never sat down to watch in full before now. Overall, I thought it was really good, and held up to the expected quality set by the other 2 films in the trilogy. I felt that the acting became a bit too hammy, much like Night of the Living Dead, but this movie still had memorable characters, and it easily had the best special effects of the trilogy, including the best looking zombies. Dawn of the Dead, by contrast, had the worst looking zombies, with their biggest defining characteristic mostly being that they were blue, which looked weird more than anything else.

Having said that, though, going in terms of story, writing, and characters, Dawn of the Dead still remains to be my favorite movie on the trilogy. Of course, I do still need to re-watch it, but I remember it having the most likable characters and the mall setting is my favorite set-piece of any zombie movie that I have ever seen.

Next up I'll re-watch Dawn of the Dead, and then finally move onto Land of the Dead, which I honestly haven't seen yet.

Avaitor

Finally saw Star Trek Into Darkness, and... huh. I was on board with the first one, but how did this get bette reviews than Iron Man 3 and Thor 2?

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked it better than Thor 2, myself. That movie was fun, but more so for the action than anything else. I also wasn't a big fan of Into Darkness, but that movie at least attempted to have a plot and character development. In some regards it worked, but in other aspects it fell really flat. Overall it was an OK movie that got really overhyped by people.

As for Iron Man 3, it was definitely a solid watch, but I still wouldn't call it great. Personally, as far as the MCU phase 2 movies go, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the one that I've been the most interested in seeing. As far as the movies go, he's by far my favorite character.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched Land of the Dead. While I liked the idea of zombies learning and evolving into a sort of society, it's clear that Romero lost his touch after 20 years since Dawn of the Dead. He relied on way to many horror movie cliches, including jump scares. And, while the strength of the original trilogy was in its strong characters, this movie's characters felt mostly forgettable (except for Dennis Hopper's laughably over the top villain). That said, I still found the movie to be entertaining for what it was, but it certainly didn't feel as cleverly written or as tightly paced as the first 3 films, IMO.

Here's how I would rank/rate them:

1. Dawn of the Dead - 10/10
2. Day of the Dead - 9/10
3. Night of the Living Dead - 8/10
4. Land of the Dead - 5/10

No-Personality

Apparently, I feel I must watch that Beatles Anthology documentary. Maybe this should count as television, but I'm doing it for Letterboxd.com and they dictate titles by Video Release... I've only gotten part 1 down. 78 minutes. There are a good 8 more hours to go, in 7 further installments. (Obviously, I'm fascinated but... it's SO long.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...