What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Beetlejuice 2 is happening.

Strangely enough, I'm interested. Michael Keaton coming back is a plus, and Burton seems to be able to come back to his roots decently when he tries. Just keep Johnny and Helena away for once. Danny can stay, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

I haven't seen Beetlejuice since I was a kid, wonder if it still holds up?
Saw The Lives of Others recently. Great movie, definitely one of the best movies of the past 6-7 years. It works equally well as a character study, about a man who begins to doubt the system he has believed in and as a very suspenseful thriller. Oh, and did I mention that the ending was one of the best I've seen for a movie? Easily up there with the endings of say The Third Man or even (dare I say it?) Casablanca.
Basically, check this movie out. That is, if you haven't already.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

No-Personality

Quote from: Pharass on November 26, 2013, 08:56:57 AMI haven't seen Beetlejuice since I was a kid, wonder if it still holds up?
It's pre-Ed Wood Tim Burton. That just stands for "it will hold up forever."
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

gunswordfist

I wouldnt count Hot Fuzz or They Live myself. I like Fuzz more than Shaun myself. A rewatch made me really appreciate the movie.

edit
I finally caught up in this thread. I will see if Netflix on Xbox has...
Best Of The Best I and II

Both Machetes

An American Werewolf In London

Reanimator

The Host

Cemetary Man

and I should rewatch Day and maybe the of the Dead prequels. I really should rewatch The Thing too. That might soldify it as my absolute favorite film.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

12 Years A Slave made me depressed about the cruel evils that human beings are capable of. Great film, though.

No-Personality

After complaining about the Beatles Anthology part 1, guess what? Finished 2-8 In One Day. 75 minutes a piece, 7 parts, one day. (This was 2 weeks ago, for info's sake.)

I'm posting this in the movie section because... Terrence Malick (good an excuse as any). I'd rather watch this again right now than 1 hour of a TM flick. Anyway, now I want to go borrow all my roommate's Beatles CD's and browse their discography. For some reason (even though I really don't care for stuff like "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand").
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

talonmalon333

Just saw Snow Angels. Solid, but emotionally draining for sure.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

He's a bit of a snob, yeah(okay, more like a lot of a snob), but I like reading through his blog more often then not.

Totally agree with him on Only God Forgives, too.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 09, 2013, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on December 09, 2013, 10:18:36 PM
A film blog I follow posted a top 5 list for newbies into film to check out.

Looks like I know where I should start, then.
Oh, they're all really great films, each for varied reasons. :)

North by Northwest is perfectly paced to the point that it feels as fresh as any blockbuster you can see in theaters, but with a sharper script and tighter direction than you'll usually see. You can't really go wrong with anything Hitch did from this era, but here's a great introduction to the golden age of Hollywood.

The Graduate, meanwhile, has ideals that are uniquely 60's, but most everything feels as relevant today as the film did back in its release. Mike Nichols' vivid direction, the dialogue which adds layers to each of its characters, Simon & Garfunkel's classic contributions. For an idea of how American cinema changed in the late 60's into today's offerings, this is certainly recommended.

The 400 Blows is basically the French New Wave encompassed into one film. All I really need to say.

Honestly, I need to watch Sherlock, Jr. again, but I have great memories of it. Keaton and Chaplin are always good beginners for silent cinema though.

And Boogie Nights is just awesome sauce in a film. P.T. Anderson is one of the best we have out there, but I don't think he topped this one. It also has one of the best soundtracks used in a film on the top of my head.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 09, 2013, 10:33:28 PM
Looking further into this guy's work, and I'm raising some eyebrows.
"Hopefully, some will become interested in arthouse film and will have Spring Breakers as their gateway film into deeper film criticism."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, that's the kind of talk that further widens the gap between arthouse fans and everyone else.

Avaitor

Okay, yeah, no.

Harmony Korine.

No.

New blog!