What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Next on today's lineup was To Kill a Mockingbird.

Honestly, what can I even say?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The book was better. Just say'n....

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 23, 2014, 10:27:20 PM
The book was better. Just say'n....

I guess that's what I can say, although I haven't read it. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do really like the movie. I just felt like being a smart-ass for no particular reason. :P

LumRanmaYasha

I have to agree that I prefer the book, but I think the movie is excellent too. I really should re-watch it one of these days.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 23, 2014, 10:51:44 PM
I do really like the movie. I just felt like being a smart-ass for no particular reason. :P

I know. I just thought it worked as a follow-up to my "What can I say?" post. :P

Avaitor

But in how many instances are movies better than the books?

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a rare exception, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I don't remember the novel that Hitchcock's The Birds was based on being anything special. Perhaps that's another exception. Been a long time since I read it, though.

Avaitor

I never did read The Birds. I did read Strangers on a Train though, and Hitch made a couple of changes from the book to the movie's ultimate detriment, yet I can't call it an inferior film.

Also, RIP Harold Ramis.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

R.I.P.

He will definitely be missed.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I know we're talking about Ramis in the Ghostbusters thread, but I wanted to post this

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2014, 03:53:30 PMI want to watch every Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I saw the original and the Sutherland version (that one's ending is hilarious, imo). I LOVE movies like that. John Carpenter's The Thing is perhaps my favorite movie of all time. I'd love some recommendation of all the versions of IotBS and "body horror", as I believe you called them.
The pioneers of the subgenre are Cronenberg (all his films), Henenlotter (all again), and mid-to-late 80's Carpenter, with important footnotes by Larry Cohen (It's Alive, God Told Me To, The Stuff) and Jeff Lieberman (Blue Sunshine). Start there and, for the hell of it, check out The Dark Backward (as I haven't seen it since I was a kid). May or may not be horrific enough but I remember being shocked by it (as a kid).

Anyway, I'm still working on beefing up my horror lists. And... holy moly have things changed my update last week!!! For starters, I've found 2 films that went right to my Top 50 in my 100 Greatest Horror Films list (which, one day, will definitely be redone for AR). For that info, you'll have to visit me on Letterboxd. I purchased some movies in mid-January, some blind buys and this time, almost all of my blinders paid off: Phantasm III, Return to Salem's Lot, The Wicker Man- all utterly fantastic watches. Also watched Lair of the White Worm on Netflix and immediately had to buy it right after (though it's currently waiting in MovieMars' processing limbo, 5 days now). Also (finally) watched Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat, which was alright, Link which has blah, Remote Control which was bad, and Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce which is bad for the first 50 minutes but the last hour was okay.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

gunswordfist

:worship: Thank, Np. Good luck on the list. :)

EK, what Godzilla movies should I watch and in what order?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Is that going to be a new topic next October, No-Personality?

No-Personality

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 25, 2014, 05:17:09 PM:worship: Thank, Np. Good luck on the list. :)
Thanks.  :thumbup:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 25, 2014, 05:41:44 PMIs that going to be a new topic next October, No-Personality?
If I can get my hands on Cube, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Damien: Omen II, and Ravenous before the fall, I might be ready to re-launch by summertime.

And, will it be a new thread? I don't think so. Most of my choices will still be in this new one, so I think I'm just going to restructure the posts I have already (finally add text to the top 50).

Although, I do want to start a new thread now with general horror film reviews. I've spent the last year accumulating a fuckton more films for research purposes. I'd like to do something constructive with them.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...