What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Interesting enough, both MI and Adventure Time were shows that I said I could kind of understand why others like them but I can't get into them.

I'd say Zombie Island is a masterpiece. :thinkin:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 19, 2014, 10:07:12 PM
I'd say Zombie Island is a masterpiece. :thinkin:

When I think "masterpiece", I think of something like a top tier Hitchcock picture. Not Scooby-Doo. :P

Avaitor

I remember liking Witch's Ghost too, actually. The only one I owned was Zombie Island, but I ended up renting all of those up to Cyber Chase, and eventually caught some of them on CN here or there.

I dunno, maybe if they're on in the near future, I'll give some of these movies a chance again. But my Scooby tolerance isn't too high these days.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Homura Akemi on April 20, 2014, 07:30:07 AM
Zombie Island is probably the only Direct-to-DVD Scooby-Doo film that holds up as a good picture - Witch's Ghost if you wanted to stretch it. I could argue that Alien Invaders does hold up as well, but that's nostalgia getting in the way and I'm incredibly biased towards that film. And Mystery Incorporated is a very good show. I liked it a lot.
I think I was high off of Zombie Island when I thought Witch's Ghost and Alien Invaders were about as good as ZI. I'll likely change my mind on that if I watched them today. I wouldn't mind seeing them again though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I remember that period of Scooby movies right before "What's New, Scooby Doo?" came out and threw away everything that was enjoyable about the movies. I still watch them if they're on, they're my favorite SD material.

In other news, I watched both The Town and Muppet Treasure Island this weekend. Thought they were both great. The Town makes me even more disappointed that he passed up directing The Stand, and Muppet Treasure Island had me wondering how I missed out on it for so long. I also watched The Great Muppet Caper, but I didn't like it as much as I was hoping to. Some good moments and songs, but as a whole it was fairly boring.

Muppet Treasure Island was a different experience. Robert Louis Stevenson done by The Muppets? Tim Curry as Long John Silver? Gonzo and Rizzo as Jim's best friends? Too good. I honestly think it's one of the best Muppet movies by far. Great stuff.

The Town was a great heist movie, another great job by Affleck and another movie I'm puzzled that I missed. Jeremy Renner really impressed as did Jon Hamm, but my favorite part was the ending as it was not what I was expecting to happen from similar heist movies. As a whole I would definitely like to see Affleck direct more movies, he's definitely got overlooked talent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm not so hot on Muppet Treasure Island. I like the source material, but it's too straight of an adaptation for me, with not enough Muppet fun. Granted, Muppet Christmas Carol is kind of the same thing, but that story works much better in the Muppet format.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's not really that straight of an adaption, though. I mean, they change a lot to condense it into one movie including tweaking Jim's background, cutting out most of the first part, changing the squire totally (which works here since its a comedy), and cutting out everything to do with Israel Hands (which is, admittedly, too dark for a kids movie), but it all works for the pace of the film and makes it quite fun overall. I also thought it was really funny, which I didn't really find GMC was outside of certain parts.

Maybe I'm just too big of a RLS fan, but this movie managed to capture much of his spirit of adventure where more serious adaptions have tried and failed, and maybe that's why I liked it so much. RLS material is hard to adapt without losing the spark of adventure and I was pleasantly surprised that the movie managed to keep so much of it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

That's fair. I like Stevenson's work, but I'm more of a fan of Disney's earlier Treasure Island adaptation. There was obvious effort in MTI, but it just wasn't as strong to me.

The Great Muppet Caper isn't much better, yeah. I do kind of dig it, but it's the weakest of Jim's 3 Muppet movies.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as Affleck directed movies go, I can't stand Gone, Baby, Gone. But, I really like The Town and I love Argo, so he's definitely improved with each new film he's put out.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, my copy of SSM came with movie money to see Amazing 2. Now's as good of a time as ever to finally watch the first, huh?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I heard Amazing 2 is lousy. Any other opinions?

talonmalon333

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 24, 2014, 03:33:50 PM
SSM?

Spectacular Spider-Man. The complete series blu ray set came out on Tuesday.

talonmalon333