GSF, have you seen First Class, yet?

Here's mine:

1. X2: X-Men United
2. X-Men: First Class
3. X-Men
4. The Wolverine
5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
6. X-Men 3: The Last Stand

I only consider the top 3 to be good movies. The Wolverine was mediocre and Origins and 3 were pretty terrible, though I can at least fine Origins to be a guilty pleasure for it's admittedly good action scenes.

gunswordfist

Oh, sorry. I have and I liked it. Hmm...I need to rewatch X-Men 1. I probably like First Class more but who knows. I say X-Men 3 was a decent movie that made some horrible story decisions. I guess you can say it's like Spider-Man 3 for me, where I think it's better than most people say it is.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think what bugged me about that movie was that big things were going down but it's like the characters didn't care enough. Jean being killed off in X-Men 2 was a big deal in that movie, but then she just shows up "alive" in front of Scott and rather than a WTF reaction, he just starts making out with her and then she kills him in the most uneventful way possible....and pretty much nobody cares. We literally see Wolverine casually say "I think she killed Scott" and then he's never mentioned again. Aside from the shoved in funeral scene at the end, nobody even takes so much as a moment to mourn the death of a guy they spent two full movies with. When the professor dies, it's pretty much the same problem. When Mystique is turned human, Magneto just dumps her like it's nothing and we never hear from her again (and she was essentially his right-hand woman for all 3 movies). A lot of the plot points also didn't make that much sense to me. Much like Spider-Man 3, the movie is an undeniable mess in terms of its story and characters. I suppose the reason I could still find enjoyment in SM3 is because I still enjoyed the main conflict between Peter and Harry, and if nothing else the movie did still feel like everything happening was genuinely a big deal. With X3, it felt like big things were happening, but I had a harder time caring about any of it.

gunswordfist

I did like the conflict between Harry and Peter. Harry was pretty much the most well cast character in all of the movies imo.

And that's a lot of good points about the X-Men movies. I'll rewatch 2 and 3 sometime not soon.

Avaitor

My rankings are probably the same as EK's (maybe I'd swap First Class and 1, but I like them about the same), although I think the Wolverine is better than mediocre.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on May 10, 2014, 03:44:46 PMIt sucks that they haven't been able to make a great Spider-Man movie though. Each of the films have had elements of greatness, but none of them have ever gone beyond being pretty good, while Batman, Superman and the X-Men have been able to make some fantastic movies of their own.

I still am a big fan of the first two Spider-Man movies, and consider Spider-Man 2 one of the better superhero movies in general. Also, if it means anything, I do genuinely like Spider-Man 3.

Dr. Insomniac

I personally have a fondness for 3 Dev Adam, myself. That's the closest we'll ever get to seeing Spider-Man in an Avengers movie.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 10, 2014, 04:45:00 PM
Harry was pretty much the most well cast character in all of the movies imo.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 11, 2014, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 10, 2014, 04:45:00 PM
Harry was pretty much the most well cast character in all of the movies imo.

Yeah, I'd like to believe that the reason we didn't Jameson in Amazing 2 is that they're waiting for the right moment to reveal that Simmons is reprising the role.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

The best part about Origins for me was that they introduced Gambit (finally) and Deadpool, and that Sabretooth was pretty good. That's about it, unfortunately. It was a mess.

I actually would have rathered X-Men have gotten a reboot over Spider-Man, frankly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

First Class was like a partial reboot of sorts, in that it essentially wrote X-Men 3 and Origins out of canon.

gunswordfist

I don't care what anyone says, I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine but yeah, a reboot is in serious need.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finally got around to watching Man of Steel. While I don't hate it with the burning passion of some folk, I just didn't care for it. It felt like it was trying too hard to be dark and meaningful that it forgot to actually be any fun. That, and it had plenty of plot-holes and stupid moments which plenty of reviewers have already pointed out. Both Captain America movies show how you can adapt a "boy-scout" type character the right way.

Interestingly, I think this movie's faults can be blamed on Nolan just as much as Snyder. While I love his Batman movies, one of my biggest complaints about all of them is how unnatural the dialogue sounds. I mean, more than half of the time you're listening to speeches rather than actual conversations. MOS ratcheted up this problem by at least ten-fold.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 13, 2014, 02:32:56 PM
I finally got around to watching Man of Steel. While I don't hate it with the burning passion of some folk, I just didn't care for it. It felt like it was trying too hard to be dark and meaningful that it forgot to actually be any fun. That, and it had plenty of plot-holes and stupid moments which plenty of reviewers have already pointed out. Both Captain America movies show how you can adapt a "boy-scout" type character the right way.

Interestingly, I think this movie's faults can be blamed on Nolan just as much as Snyder. While I love his Batman movies, one of my biggest complaints about all of them is how unnatural the dialogue sounds. I mean, more than half of the time you're listening to speeches rather than actual conversations. MOS ratcheted up this problem by at least ten-fold.

"Not actually any fun" is pretty much how I'd best describe it. They took a colorful and joyful superhero and made a dull and unhappy movie out of him. And it's attempt to be so serious just failed largely due to no character development (Superman being forced to kill Zod meant nothing to me because they didn't establish Superman as someone who totally refuses to kill). Some might say "Well we already know the characters as they've been told various times in other movies and comic books", but this is supposed to be an adaptation. I want to see how a movie will interpret the characters.

I also disliked how over the top the action was. I mean, some might say "well the action was still exciting, if nothing else", but for me, it was too catastrophic, especially for the first movie in this supposed DC universe. I mean, they pretty much destroyed the entire city.