What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I forgot to mention this, but I watched Fargo again the other day, and I still don't really like it.

I was hoping that giving it a second chance would let me appreciate it more, but I liked it about the same as I did the first time I saw it, which isn't that much at all. I also had the same experience when I tried No Country again a while ago. The Coens just aren't for me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't get into the Coen Brothers films, either. I actually haven't seen Fargo in ages, so I can't comment on that film, but No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, and True Grit just didn't do anything for me, personally.

Spark Of Spirit

I have a friend who was in love with that movie. Then he grew to have mixed opinions of it. Then one day, years later, he watched it again and hated it.

Personally, I have a really hard time with the Coens. Burn After Reading was one of those movies I actually felt like I wasted money on seeing. Of their stuff, I enjoyed Lebowski (not to the extent the internet does, though) and O Brother, but that's really about it.

They cater to a specific set, really.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I rather like The Big Lebowski (but it took another viewing for me to really appreciate it, which is also why I've been willing to give more of their movies second chances), but everything else that I've seen of theirs ranges from interesting yet not especially captivating to tedious.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got back from seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past. This....may honestly be my new favorite X-Men film. For the longest time my favorite has been X2 (and First Class was a close second), and I'll need to see both films again to confirm, but I loved just about every second of this film, and it's the first time since X2 that I actually cared about the characters and their outcomes this much. It's easily one of the best X-Men films put to screen so far, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 23, 2014, 03:08:53 PM
I just got back from seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past. This....may honestly be my new favorite X-Men film. For the longest time my favorite has been X2 (and First Class was a close second), and I'll need to see both films again to confirm, but I loved just about every second of this film, and it's the first time since X2 that I actually cared about the characters and their outcomes this much. It's easily one of the best X-Men films put to screen so far, IMO.
Seeing it tomorrow... now hyped up.

Bryan Singer needs to stay on X-Men. Somebody get the man a contract or something. I never want to see an X3 ever again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is a huge spoiler so don't read it until after you've seen the film, but....

Spoiler
This film is pretty much the reboot that you wanted. The ending effectively writes most of the other films out of the series timeline of events, including X3. On the one hand it sets things up for a fresh new start, but on the other hand I'm not sure how I feel about great movies like X2 never having happened anymore (seeing as how both Jean and Scott are alive at the end).
[close]

Avaitor

I'm pretty likely going to see it on Sunday, and I'm pretty excited!

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past, and even though I haven't seen any of the X-Men movies since X3 7 years ago, I thought it was a pretty damn great film. The movie made me want to finally check out First Class, which I'll probably do, along with a rewatch of the first two X-Men films.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Those are the only good ones, anyways.

First Class is also great. The supporting cast is a bit lacking, but the main focus of the movie is Xavier's and Magneto's friendship and eventual falling out, which is tremendously well-done thanks to a combination of strong-writing for both characters matched by equally strong performances. That pretty much makes the movie for me.

Dr. Insomniac

So I remembered something. Why did they break Magneto out? Even though Future Magneto suggested it, Wolverine still had enough experience to know the guy would play the villain. And we don't really see him help Charles and the gang much if at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

They probably figured that they may need them both to stop Raven/Mystique, since she would no longer listen to Charles. Either that, or since he knew they would change the future anyways, old Magneto was being crafty while trying to seem genuinely helpful by convincing Logan to free him. It could be any number of reasons, but I'd have to watch the film again.

Here's a bigger plot-hole that I just realized, though: Since it's confirmed that the events of X3 are indeed canon before the alterations of the timeline, then how the fuck is Charles still alive? He was clearly killed off at the end of X3, and I figured that after they showed him in the post-credits scene of The Wolverine, that his revival would be explained in this film, but it never was, or somehow I completely missed it.

Spark Of Spirit

Wolverine probably thought he could take him because he had no adamantium in him if he betrayed them. There's also the fact that they were allies for so long in the future he probably thought he understood him better than he did. Of course, by the end he realizes that he didn't. "So much for being survivors".

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2014, 11:20:03 AMHere's a bigger plot-hole that I just realized, though: Since it's confirmed that the events of X3 are indeed canon before the alterations of the timeline, then how the fuck is Charles still alive? He was clearly killed off at the end of X3, and I figured that after they showed him in the post-credits scene of The Wolverine, that his revival would be explained in this film, but it never was, or somehow I completely missed it.
He was back at the end of The Wolverine, too. It's not really an DOFP plot-hole, but one never explained from X3.

I just chalk it up to everything else that movie screwed up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's a series plot-hole, really. Since X3 is acknowledged as canon, they could have at least explained how Charles came back. It's a comic book movie, so they could have made up whatever reason they wanted without having to worry too much about logic, but at least it still should be explained. It's a minor gripe on my part, but it is still worth mentioning.

Spark Of Spirit

There's a few of them, like that Senator Kelly line from X1 that Magneto had ("Are you sure you saw what you think you saw?") that were never explained in sequels which makes Magneto's plan in X1 poorly thought out on his behalf which is, well, out of character.

Hopefully now that there's a new start we can avoid such things in the future.