What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Nobody even talks about Avatar anymore. It was the definition of flash in the pan.

I didn't even think the special effects were that great, anyway, never mind how lackluster and predictable everything else was.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like to pretend that James Cameron never made this movie. I mean, seriously, you'd think that the guy who made fucking Sci-Fi classics like the first 2 Terminator films and Aliens would know a thing or two about good story-telling beyond just presenting you with an inferior version of Dances With Wolves or The Last Samurai.

Avaitor

The best WWII movie is The Thin Red Line.

And Avatar isn't the first hyper derivative film Cameron made- Titanic is literally just Gone With the Wind on a boat. Nothing more, nothing less.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

At least Titanic had some good writing and directing, as well as something legitimately worth caring about. Plus, the special effects in it are actually real, and they're pretty interesting to learn about. Avatar is basically just special effects, and the effects just CGI and have that really polished, slightly unnatural look to them.

Avatar was also apparently something he had been planning since the mid 90s. He could've come up with something better.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

At least that film didn't get by on visuals alone. It had good acting and a decent script, if nothing else. I swear, the only decent performance in Avatar was from Zoe Saldana, and even that wasn't as great as Cameron claims it was (though I still do look forward to seeing her in GOTG).

Also, I still need to actually watch The Thin Red Line.

Oh yeah, and Where Eagles Dare is another WWII movie that I'd personally rank above SPR.

gunswordfist

and didn't kurosawa "ripoff" westerns? if i remember correctly, in an interview, he said he liked the back and forth influence between them.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I'm going to be perfectly honest and say... I don't think The Dark Knight should necessarily be considered one of the top 100 movies ever made. I mean, even on that list alone, there are many movies below it that deserve to be higher. Here's a few that I gather merely from skimming.

Sunset Boulevard
North by Northwest
Raging Bull
The Lion King
Vertigo
Young Frankenstein
Wall-E
On the Waterfront
Any Lord of the Rings film
Beauty and the Beast
The Deer Hunter
Pan's Labyrinth
Seven Samurai

Spark Of Spirit

There's never gonna be a perfect top 100 film list. As long as they don't choose stinkers like Avatar for their list, I don't find much need to argue with them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Last night I saw Alien 3. Yeah, seriously. I didn't have my expectations set high. But... Let me just say I'm left with a few questions.

1. How was that alien able to get on the ship at the beginning when the queen was killed in Aliens?
2. What were they thinking when they killed off the characters from Aliens, when they were all likable?
3. Why replace said characters with all new ones that aren't memorable?
4. What was the point of all those religious themes?
5. Why was the script so bad?
6. Why was Ripley's death and buildup handled in a corney way?
7. What was the point of making an otherwise mediocre rehash of the first film?

That and more.

Spark Of Spirit

Because, according to some people, David Fincher wasn't making a meathead action movie for idiots. Those aren't plotholes and detracting factors, you're just not part of the audience and are probably mentally deficient.

::)

Yes, that movie has defenders.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From what I've heard, Alien 3 was one of those films that went through production hell, with numerous script re-writes and tons of studio meddling.

It doesn't matter anymore, though, as FOX made it and Alien: Resurrection officially non-canon (as they always were, anyways). Instead we got the much better Aliens: Colonial Mar----oh, wait, Nevermind. Let's just pretend that game doesn't exist, either.

Seriously, why the hell is it so impossible to make a proper sequel to Aliens? At this point, I'd rather they just leave the series alone. Aliens is the true end of the franchise as Ripley and crew finally take out the Xenomorphs once and for all. And that's it. There's no story left to tell after that point.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 22, 2014, 11:22:01 AM
Because, according to some people, David Fincher wasn't making a meathead action movie for idiots. Those aren't plotholes and detracting factors, you're just not part of the audience and are probably mentally deficient.

I notice that you take a lot out on David Fincher, but have you actually looked into this movie's behind-the-scenes production? Fincher had to deal with a lot of interference, and if you know his opinion, he hates the film just as much as anyone to the point of pretty much downright disowning it (or at the very least not wanting his name to be attached to it at all).

talonmalon333

Wait, did FOX actually declare Alien 3 non-canon? I mean, it's already non-canon in my mind, but that'd be great if even FOX recognized this fact.

Spark Of Spirit

Aliens Infestation was pretty good.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 22, 2014, 11:26:42 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 22, 2014, 11:22:01 AM

I notice that you take a lot out on David Fincher, but have you actually looked into this movie's behind-the-scenes production? Fincher had to deal with a lot of interference, and if you know his opinion, he hates the film just as much as anyone to the point of pretty much downright disowning it (or at the very least not wanting his name to be attached to it at all).
That was more of a slam at the defenders than him. I've seen the "You just like brainless action movies!" argument used to defend Alien 3 and put down Aliens more than anything else.

Of course it wasn't entirely his fault, but he does have some blame to take. In the end, it was his decision to use a script that essentially made Aliens pointless, and a plot that was a retread of the first movie only worse. I don't hate him for making it, and I'm glad he recognizes it as the failure that it is, but I'm certainly glad that it's no longer canon.

You're better off just pretending the series is a duology. At this point it pretty much is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 22, 2014, 11:29:14 AM
Wait, did FOX actually declare Alien 3 non-canon? I mean, it's already non-canon in my mind, but that'd be great if even FOX recognized this fact.

And Alien: Resurrection (by extension), yes.

That said, it's all for naught, since Aliens: Colonial Marines is "officially" considered canon until FOX says otherwise.