What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw GOTG. I thought it was great, and now that I've seen it, I can't for the life of me see what about it is sexist in the least. As far as I can tell, nobody but JO has even made such a claim (aside from her followers, who believe just about anything she says).

I'd say that it easily takes 3rd place (or 2nd) among my favorite MCU movies, with the 2 Captain America movies still being my personal favorites. Whichever way you put it, though, this was a strong year for Marvel, and a much needed return to form after Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World, which are both films that I enjoyed well enough, but felt rather underwhelming coming off the heels of The Avengers (which I honestly feel that GOTG has surpassed in terms of ensemble superhero films, which is no easy feat).

Foggle

I just got back from GOTG as well. I loved it to pieces! It's easily become far and away my favorite comic book movie, even surpassing Kick-Ass and Cemetery Man (if you count that one). Brilliant action, humor, characters, soundtrack, casting, everything. There wasn't a single thing I disliked about it. The rest of the cinema loved it too! Everyone there was cracking up at nearly all the jokes (myself included). I haven't seen a piece of space-faring science fantasy this good since Serenity. The people calling Guardians this generation's Star Wars are right on the money, IMO. If I was between the ages of 8 and 14, this would probably be my all-time favorite film. I'm gonna' pick up some TPBs of the comics ASAP!

gunswordfist

the comic i read was alright. you should read annihilation v. 1-4. it has drax, ronan and gamora in it and is still my favorite big comic book event.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 03, 2014, 09:15:15 PM
the comic i read was alright. you should read annihilation v. 1-4. it has drax, ronan and gamora in it and is still my favorite big comic book event.
Thanks, I will! :joy:

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Yeah, Annihilation is amazing and has great art. Anyone who loved this movie should check it out.

As for the movie itself, I plan to see it with my brother, but since he's out of town this week, I'll have to wait a little while.

talonmalon333

Yeah, I saw Guardians of the Galaxy tonight, and I was surprised by how good it was.

Spark Of Spirit

People hate GOTG?  ???

I thought it was pretty great. We were about due for a really fun summer action movie and we finally got one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 04, 2014, 12:27:17 PM
We were about due for a really fun summer action movie and we finally got one.

...You didn't watch Edge of Tomorrow, did you?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 04, 2014, 12:51:50 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 04, 2014, 12:27:17 PM
We were about due for a really fun summer action movie and we finally got one.

...You didn't watch Edge of Tomorrow, did you?
Yes, and it was the worst movie I've ever seen.

No, I did not.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Does X-Men: Days of Future Past not count for some reason? It was released during the summer season.

As for Edge of Tomorrow, I wanted to see it, but I couldn't convince anyone to go with me. I did at least read the manga when the translations for that were finished, though I haven't read the original novel.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 04, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
Does X-Men: Days of Future Past not count for some reason? It was released during the summer season.
It was an excellent movie, but I didn't consider it "fun" in the same way as GOTG.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that the Quicksilver seen alone encompasses enough "fun" to fill up 2 movies, and then some. :bleh:

But, I still think it can count as fun. It may be more serious than GOTG, but it had lenty of humorous and light-hearted moments as well, IMO.

talonmalon333

By the way, a few nights ago I had seen James Rolfe's movie based on the AVGN. It's the type of movie that's a lot of fun if you like the character, which I know many people here don't. It's also obvious the effort that James put into the effects of the movie, intentionally giving it a campy B movie feel (for example, there is a driving scene that is obviously filmed on a green screen, despite the fact that it's easy these days to just film on an actual road). I also think it's good that James has finally put E.T. behind him, since people have been bothering him about reviewing that game for so many years.

And at the screening I went to in Phoenixville, PA, James Rolfe was there, gave a talk to the audience and gave a Q&A. I also got to meet him, Kyle Justin, Kevin Finn, and Mike Matei afterward, got my copy of the Ghostbusters NES game autographed, and got a picture taken with them. Overall, it was pretty cool.