What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wow....that was so unexpected and untimely. He will be sincerely missed.

Avaitor

Now's a good time to finally see Good Morning, Vietnam.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Inkwolf

Time to finally watch Patch Adams and rewatch Hook.

He's such a legend...so sad.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Eddy

Celebrity deaths don't normally hit THIS hard but, man, this one got to me pretty bad.

You were truly a legend, Robin Williams. Rest in peace.

Avaitor

Robin isn't the only loss we've just had.

RIP Mrs. Bogart. But truthfully, Lauren deserves to be remembered for so much more.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finally got around to watching The World's End. I thought it was excellent, and really close to Hot Fuzz in quality (though, I still prefer that film, overall), which is saying a lot. Speaking of that film, since it's also up on HBO GO right now, I'll plan on giving it a re-watch sometime soon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I only watched it once, but it didn't hate it. In general I've never been one for the modern way of thinking about movies influenced by ass-holes on the Internet, which is to hate any movies that have major flaws with a burning passion. The movie has a lot of problems, as does Spider-Man 3, but I also felt that both movies did a fair number of things right. With SM3 it was the action scenes and giving Sandman and Harry plenty of character depth. I mean, for a movie where people complained about too many villains, toe out of the three had plenty of characterization, and only one really suffered for being crammed in there (the one who Sam Raimi had never intended to put into the film to begin with, until the studio forced him to). With TASM2, I felt that they got the relationship between Peter and Gwen down really well, and all of the emotion-heavy moments felt really genuine and well-executed to me. The action was great as well. The main problem is that both villains were executed poorly (I don't count a certain villain who really only appears at the very beginning and very end of the movie). That, and the whole sub-plot about Peter's parents never really interested me. Still, for what it is, I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Just because a movie has severe flaws doesn't mean that there's nothing good about it and that it's not worth watching, in my book.

I also feel the same way about The Dark Knight Rises. Does the movie have huge, gaping flaws? Definitely. Is it as bad as some people make it out to be? Well, IMO, not even close. It's still a film with a lot of great elements going for it that made it just as entertaining to re-watch as it was the first time that I saw it.

talonmalon333

I just can't wrap my mind around Bane wanting to destroy Gotham. What was his motivation? He says he intents to carry out Ra's al Ghul's plan, but Ra's wanted to destroy Gotham because he felt it was beyond saving. He felt the only way to save it was to start it from scratch. However, by the time of TDKR, Gotham has been almost completely cleaned up. Why destroy it now?

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 06, 2014, 12:34:17 PM
I just can't wrap my mind around Bane wanting to destroy Gotham. What was his motivation? He says he intents to carry out Ra's al Ghul's plan, but Ra's wanted to destroy Gotham because he felt it was beyond saving. He felt the only way to save it was to start it from scratch. However, by the time of TDKR, Gotham has been almost completely cleaned up. Why destroy it now?
That's what I said. I still stand by saying Ra would have looked at (or hell, just heard about) Gotham and left it alone, if he were still alive at that point. I think it was just revenge and Nolan and the writers actually think it was more than that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 06, 2014, 12:34:17 PMI just can't wrap my mind around Bane wanting to destroy Gotham. What was his motivation? He says he intents to carry out Ra's al Ghul's plan, but Ra's wanted to destroy Gotham because he felt it was beyond saving. He felt the only way to save it was to start it from scratch. However, by the time of TDKR, Gotham has been almost completely cleaned up. Why destroy it now?

Spoiler
You mean Talia. Bane was just working under Talia the whole time. As for her motivation, part of it was that she wanted Revenge on Bruce for her father's death, and the other part was that she didn't view the city as "saved," a big part of which had to do with the fact that the main thing keeping the city at bay for so many years, the Dent Act, was completely based off of a lie started by Bruce and Commissioner Gordon.
[close]

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 06, 2014, 02:29:27 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 06, 2014, 12:34:17 PMI just can't wrap my mind around Bane wanting to destroy Gotham. What was his motivation? He says he intents to carry out Ra's al Ghul's plan, but Ra's wanted to destroy Gotham because he felt it was beyond saving. He felt the only way to save it was to start it from scratch. However, by the time of TDKR, Gotham has been almost completely cleaned up. Why destroy it now?

Spoiler
You mean Talia. Bane was just working under Talia the whole time. As for her motivation, part of it was that she wanted Revenge on Bruce for her father's death, and the other part was that she didn't view the city as "saved," a big part of which had to do with the fact that the main thing keeping the city at bay for so many years, the Dent Act, was completely based off of a lie started by Bruce and Commissioner Gordon.
[close]

Spoiler
I imagined revenge was part of their goal, but I thought I remembered Bane not learning about the Dent Act until he read Gordon's letter. Unless I'm remembering something incorrectly (I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters). If he and Talia indeed knew about the Dent Act ahead of time, then I could easily buy into the scheme.
[close]

Avaitor

We just saw Snowpiercer in the school's film club.

It's almost like the polar opposite of The Winter Soldier. I loved it!

New blog!

Avaitor

There's a pretty good chance that I'm going to see Swiss Family Robinson in theaters this Sunday!

It's funny, I had a choice between this or Gone With the Wind, but this'll save me 2 hours, heh.

New blog!

talonmalon333

The Vanishing

The way some movies pull off suspense is mind boggling.