What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

For whatever reason, that reminds me; I still haven't seen Thor yet. 0_o

It's playing at the cheap shows this weekend, and I was considering seeing it. What's the general consensus from you guys? Good? Bad? Anything in between?

Dr. Insomniac

Commode

I didn't see Thor either, but a friend of mine said it sucked, which was kind of disheartening because I did actually want to see it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally I thought it was OK. Among comic book movies, its certainly not great by any stretch but its hardly a bad movie either. Then again, seeing how touchy people can get with that genre I suppose it depends on how seriously you take these movies. I'll be honest, when it comes to live-action movies I am rarely ever able to take movies about costumed heroes all that seriously. I mean I can respect them if they have great characters and great story-lines, but very few films in the genre have really achieved that from my standpoint, so as it stands I just watch most of them for the sake of entertainment and in the hopes of getting at least a little bit of characterization and depth thrown into the mix. Thor delivers on the entertainment side of things, IMO, and at least for Loki I feel that we get some decent amount of characterization, though Thor himself is pretty unconvincing in his character transformation of an arrogant warrior to a more humble hero (his transition feels like it comes way too easy and suddenly, to be honest).

So, if you want a seriously good film that can rival something like The Dark Knight or the first Iron Man movie, then I can't really recommend Thor. However if you just want to have some fun at a film that has some fairly good laughs and can just be taken seriously enough that you do get at least a little bit of good characterization, then Thor is worth checking out. Just don't ever see it in 3D unless you just love to waste your money for getting the glasses alone even if you'll never end up needing to use them.

Kiddington

Nah, I wouldn't see it in 3D even if that were still available (far as I know, the cheap theaters don't do 3D showings... which is just as well).

Sounds good. For $3, I probably couldn't go wrong anyway, but I just wanted to get a few opinions of it before I went. Thanks guys!

Lord Dalek

The Social Network. Really, REALLY good.

Also I thought Thor was the most entertaining of this year's comic book flicks so far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I did indeed like the Social Network, but I also had a few big annoyances with the movie. I gave my thoughts on that a few months back but one of my main issues was how the director somehow thought it was a good idea for the actors to rush out all their lines (everyone seemed to be talking at least twice as fast as a normal person would). There were a few other issues that I had with the film, but otherwise it was a really enjoyable movie with a good amount of intelligent dialogue. I do like the fact that the movie delivers things straight and doesn't try to throw in any bull-shit Hollywood cliches or make the main character out to be a better or worse person than he really is. I guess I just like the fact that nothing in this movie is particularly glorified which works well for a movie that's essentially all about the business world.

Avaitor

I really liked Thor, but then again, I really like the character.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Angus

Cars 2 DID put my better half to sleep in the theater, that my little pups had to wake her up for the races.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Carpenter's Thing.

I wish horror was still this good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ah, my 2nd favorite horror movie next to The Shining.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The King's Speech. A very good movie with superb acting all around, though its one of those slow-paced character relationship stories that you really have to be in a very specific mood and the right mindset to watch (at least for me).

Angus

Quote from: Desensitized on July 06, 2011, 06:03:14 PM
If you guys haven't seen it and want a good movie, go see Super 8.

Most of the season outside of X-Men has been kinda crappy, but Super 8 was awesome.

This one's fun, although there are a hell of a lot of crashes. And it has the Space Shuttle poster!
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

ToonFaithful

I guess I'll go see Cars 2 today and then Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 next week. Thoughts on the movie will be posted later today.

Avaitor

Seeing a movie tonight. But it's not Harry Potter. Or Winnie the Pooh. Or Horrible Bosses. Or even some crap I don't want to see.

Going to a midnight showing of E.T. with one of my my friend and his girlfriend, who somehow hasn't seen it yet.

This is the first time I've seen it in years, so this is going to be a treat. Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's the original version.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/