What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I....have never actually watched a Mad Max movie.

I should probably get on that.

In other news, I watched a few of my old DVDs over the past week or so during my spare time. That includes the original Star Wars trilogy (which I'll talk about later), Speed, and Hotel Rwanda.

Speed is still such a great action movie that holds up a lot better than I expected it to. I never appreciated how well-shot the film is, until now, and this time I have come to realize what a fun villain this movie has thanks to Dennis Hopper's appropriately over-the-top performance. It's just a really exciting action movie.

Hotel Rwanda, now that I think about it, may just edge out above collateral as my favorite 2004 film. It's a movie that covers some pretty heavy subject matter in the same way that something like 12 Years A Slave or Selma does, and usually I higly respect a film like that but don't consider it a personal favorite, but there's just something about this movie that gets me in a way that makes me really want to revisit it every few years or so.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 15, 2015, 06:45:30 PM
:huh:

Watch Mad Max and The Road Warrior back to back as soon as possible. I can't believe you of all people haven't seen these.

Quote from: Foggle on May 15, 2015, 06:46:25 PM
Now watch Speed 2. :sly:
You're not a nice person.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I haven't seen EVERYTHING. Naturally we all have various classics to work our way around to. ;)

And in response to Foggle: Only if you watch Kick-Ass 2, first. :sly:

Foggle

Avaitor

I've actually only seen The Road Warrior, myself (own it, too). I've been meaning to get to the others, but keep on delaying them for whatever reason.

It doesn't seem like you need to be familiar with the trilogy for the new one though, so at least there's that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

You don't need to, but I don't see why you wouldn't if you had the chance to see them. I guess I was just lucky that my dad was such an action movie fan when I was a kid. I got to see a lot of movies like the Mad Max trilogy that I probably never would have heard of until much later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 15, 2015, 06:45:30 PM

I should probably get on that.

In other news, I watched a few of my old DVDs over the past week or so during my spare time. That includes the original Star Wars trilogy (which I'll talk about later), Speed, and Hotel Rwanda.

Speed is still such a great action movie that holds up a lot better than I expected it to. I never appreciated how well-shot the film is, until now, and this time I have come to realize what a fun villain this movie has thanks to Dennis Hopper's appropriately over-the-top performance. It's just a really exciting action movie.

Hotel Rwanda, now that I think about it, may just edge out above collateral as my favorite 2004 film. It's a movie that covers some pretty heavy subject matter in the same way that something like 12 Years A Slave or Selma does, and usually I higly respect a film like that but don't consider it a personal favorite, but there's just something about this movie that gets me in a way that makes me really want to revisit it every few years or so.
I've always held a soft spot for Speed. It's such an immersive action film. Hopper's character reminds me of Dead Larry...no wonder I love Dead Larry.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Speed has aged remarkably well. For an action movie it still remains exciting and cleverly directed even so many years later.

gunswordfist

I haven't seen it in 5-10 years but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it...man, now I really want to watch it. One of the better action hostage movies.

I've only seen Road Warrior. I wasn't even sure if it was a sequel at the time. I just picked it up from the library. I'll watch Mad Max and that, back to back. Also, is Thunderdome a "so bad it's good" movie? I've heard it mentioned a lot but it was never really praise nor repulsion.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I've revisited plenty of action movies from the 90's and quite a lot of the ones that I used to love, while definitely fun, are a lot more cheesy and hard to take seriously than I remember, like Face/Off, Point Break, Bad Boys, Demolition Man, and so on. So, when I popped Speed into my DVD player, I was expecting more of that. But, no. It turns out that it's just as genuinely good and exciting now as it was over 20 years ago. That has a lot to do with surprisingly good writing and excellent pacing and directing. The cinematography in particular is still impressive to this day. I have no idea how they got some of the perfect shots that they did.

And of course, it's all honest to god practical effects, here.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember Speed setting off the trend of "loud and fast" action movies that all wanted to be more explosive than it and faster too. None succeeded because none were as well crafted. The tension in the movie is all set through characters and wondering what they'll do and if it will work. Without the excellent character interaction and dialogue it wouldn't be nearly as good.

Apparently the original version was going to have Dennis Hopper die at the beginning and have Jeff Daniels become the villain. That rewrite and change to what we have now not only saved the characters, the stakes, and the story, but it saved the entire movie.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 15, 2015, 09:00:12 PMI've only seen Road Warrior. I wasn't even sure if it was a sequel at the time. I just picked it up from the library. I'll watch Mad Max and that, back to back. Also, is Thunderdome a "so bad it's good" movie? I've heard it mentioned a lot but it was never really praise nor repulsion.
Thunderdome was a letdown, but not completely without merit from what I remember. It's not remotely close to the Road Warrior, though.

gunswordfist

It would have been weird to see him as the villain but then again I could see what angle they would be going for there, I guess.

If Speed did set that trend then, like Shrek, it's another great movie that spawned countless bad impersonators.

I'll watch the entire trilogy then since Thunderdome sounds like it's not painful to watch. Hopefully it'll be more Once Upon A Time In Mexico and less Superman III.

Avaitor

From what I've read, Thunderdome is kinda maybe sorta a retread of Road Warrior, but the kind that contains enough of the right ingredients to work out alright anyway.

But losing Brian May's soundtrack has got to hurt it some.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist