What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Are there that many haters on it, though? I know the ones that exist were pretty vocal, but Nolan has a whole lot of fans who love everything he does including this movie.

As for the movie, I still feel like I don't understand the point of Bane's plan, why he was trying to destroy Gotham after it was supposedly cleaned up. But I don't dislike it at all.

gunswordfist

I think it's below average and yeah, Bane's motivation made little sense outside of the plot twist..which doesn't help things.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The fact that:

1. Gotham's entire "peace" was built on a complete lie about Harvey Dent.

2. There were still plenty of corrupt people on the "legal" side of the law who exploited their power and had gone unpunished, such as John Daggett (in fact the whole first half of the movie basically revolved around him as a major part of the plot).

3. Talia wanted Revenge on Bruce for betraying the league and causing her father's death.

Not exactly sure how you missed all of that.

talonmalon333

I haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters, which was years ago.

Spark Of Spirit

The stoicism his trilogy was built on needed to end the way it did. Personally, I would have liked TDA less if it was the final chapter of the trilogy because the ending is fine for an individual chapter but not for Batman as a whole. The right and just needed to persevere and defeat the lies and injustice.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

My favorite part of The Dark Knight Rises was the very end. There couldn't have been a better way to end the trilogy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I found that TDKR felt like the logical as well as proper thematic ending for the trilogy. With The Dark Knight, Batman had eliminated organized crime, but used a lie to do so, and also failed to completely root out the source of evil and corruption from Gotham, which were the rich families that fed off of the success of the poor.

With TDKR, it was about the consequences of leaving things off the way that they were in TDK, and why that was ultimately the wrong choice, especially since maintaining order on a lie is so fragile that if the truth gets out, things will go right back into chaos, which was once again a big part of Bane's motivation since in reality, Bruce/Batman had not reformed and saved Gotham at all at that point.

talonmalon333

And it was nice seeing Batman and Gotham get a happy ending. That's something we never get, so it was cool to see this for once.

I wonder what happened to the Joker when all the criminals were let out. I mean, yeah, I get why he couldn't be in the movie. But did they give an in-universe explanation as to why he isn't seen in the chaos?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I always just assumed that he was sentenced to death after getting caught in TDK.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 27, 2015, 07:04:55 PM
My favorite part of The Dark Knight Rises was the very end. There couldn't have been a better way to end the trilogy.
I agree with this. The only happy ending I've ever seen Batman get to his career.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I re-watched The Godfather last night. I still personally feel that the original is better than the sequel, but I'll see if my mind changes when I re-watch the second one.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And I just got around to re-watching The Godfather Part II, which is a great film, but I still hold the opinion that the original is superior. One thing that never made sense to me in the sequel is why Roth wanted to betray Michael in the first place. There's a few other things that still don't make sense about the movie's plot to me, but overall it is still a cinematic classic. I do appreciate these movies a lot more the older that I get, at any rate.

And yes, I will be re-watching Part III as well, which, to be honest I don't remember being as bad as most people say. But, it has been a long time since I last re-watched it, so we'll see.

talonmalon333

I believe that Part II is every bit as fantastic as it's made out to be. However, I will always prefer the original if only because of Marlon Brando. To me, The Godfather is his just as much as it is Al Pacino's.

Avaitor

So Jurassic World has totally spanked Age of Ultron's opening weekend gross. I still have no strong desire to see it, though.

I did watch Goodbye to Language, though. If you don't like "weird" foreign movies or whatever, you won't like this at all... But I loved it. A lot.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I want someone to check it out for me to see how much I should avoid it.