What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The Killer is great. One of those movies that has a bit more going on in it than you would expect at first. It helps that the action sequences are pretty bonkers, too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 27, 2015, 10:26:50 PM
Watched The Killer, and I thought it was really fun. It was style that became substance, and I was enthralled by Ah Jong's hitman-with-a-heart character.

Yeah, it's a really well-made film, and the Church shoot-out is one of John Woo's best action scenes, IMO.

The thing about John Woo films in general is that they are more about the characters than the plot. The stories themselves aren't usually very original, but what makes him such a good film-maker is that he focuses on the execution of it all. It's style combined with substance, as you said. Admittedly he can get a bit cheesy and over-the-top with some scenes, but it also stems as a result of him putting so much heart into the characters on-screen, which makes them compelling in the first place. And of course he's a master at crafting crazy but intense gun-battles.

I also dig how most of his films have two main characters who oppose each other at first but find some common ground and posdibly even work together by the end. Their character arcs are also usually the opposite at first. In the killer it's a hitman who wants to leave his work behind him versus a detective on his trail who is obsessed with his work. In A better tomorrow it's about family, with two brothers having a falling out (one a gang member, the other a cop), until they find a common target. Hard-Boiled is about two cops on opposite ends of the coin, one an undercover agent who despises himself (symbolizing identity crisis and moral confusion) as opposed to a standard action cop who's comfortable with who he is but doesn't think things through as much as he should. Face/Off literally puts the cop and criminal in each others' skin. And MI2....well, I'm sure it follows a similar pattern, but even as a John Woo fan I have to admit that movie kind of sucks.

He's also good at developing nuanced characters without relying too heavily on overt-exposition through dialogue.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 27, 2015, 10:31:12 PM
The Killer is great. One of those movies that has a bit more going on in it than you would expect at first. It helps that the action sequences are pretty bonkers, too.

I'm glad you love it as well. I was surprised to see you vote it so highly in the film competition thread. Until then, I didn't even know that you had seen it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 27, 2015, 10:50:27 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 27, 2015, 10:26:50 PM
Watched The Killer, and I thought it was really fun. It was style that became substance, and I was enthralled by Ah Jong's hitman-with-a-heart character.

Yeah, it's a really well-made film, and the Church shoot-out is one of John Woo's best action scenes, IMO.

The thing about John Woo films in general is that they are more about the characters than the plot. The stories themselves aren't usually very original, but what makes him such a good film-maker is that he focuses on the execution of it all. It's style combined with substance, as you said. Admittedly he can get a bit cheesy and over-the-top with some scenes, but it also stems as a result of him putting so much heart into the characters on-screen, which makes them compelling in the first place. And of course he's a master at crafting crazy but intense gun-battles.

I also dig how most of his films have two main characters who oppose each other at first but find some common ground and posdibly even work together by the end. Their character arcs are also usually the opposite at first. In the killer it's a hitman who wants to leave his work behind him versus a detective on his trail who is obsessed with his work. In A better tomorrow it's about family, with two brothers having a falling out (one a gang member, the other a cop), until they find a common target. Hard-Boiled is about two cops on opposite ends of the coin, one an undercover agent who despises himself (symbolizing identity crisis and moral confusion) as opposed to a standard action cop who's comfortable with who he is but doesn't think things through as much as he should. Face/Off literally puts the cop and criminal in each others' skin. And MI2....well, I'm sure it follows a similar pattern, but even as a John Woo fan I have to admit that movie kind of sucks.

He's also good at developing nuanced characters without relying too heavily on overt-exposition through dialogue.
The Killer does a very good job at the start of setting the scene. Right before the first action sequence Ah Jong is shown as someone who appreciates silence and something higher, and the look he gives Jenny shows that she is much of the reason why he does. That makes the brutal action sequence right after hit much harder. And in his fit of blind violence, he blinds the person who changed him. Everything that unfolds after that, from his pause during the assassination attempt to his willingness to help the little girl to his delay in killing the very man who betrayed him (the scene where he gets the money back is probably one of my favorite scenes in any action movie) and restoring his humanity, to changing the very cop who had nothing but contempt for criminals, it's a great ride. I especially enjoy his realization at the end when he is about to die that he now understands what Jenny went through and realizes the path he chose lead him there. Throw in some excellent action sequences that are all pretty top notch and creative from John Woo and you have one of the best action movies ever.

I'm just as surprised as anyone that it made it as far as it did in the competition.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 27, 2015, 10:51:56 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 27, 2015, 10:31:12 PM

I'm glad you love it as well. I was surprised to see you vote it so highly in the film competition thread. Until then, I didn't even know that you had seen it.
As you can also tell, I think pretty highly of it, too.  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Out of curiosity, have you checked out John Wick from last year? It's not an action-classic or anything like that, but I found it to be a really entertaining and extremely well-shot hitman style movie that felt like something out of the 80's combined with some modern flair. I think you might enjoy it.

Desperado is another good action movie, this time by Robert Rodriguez, in the vein of John Woo style shoot-outs. It lacks the same substance, but the style does really go a long way in this case, IMO.

On another note, I finally got around to seeing Heat. It's a very well-made, well-acted movie, and that famous shoot-out scene has earned its place on most top 10 lists. That said, I do get the feeling that, similar to True Detective season one, had this movie not had the right combination of director and actors, the script would've fell flat. Personally, I feel that Collateral is still Michael Mann's best film.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 27, 2015, 11:58:07 PM
Out of curiosity, have you checked out John Wick from last year? It's not an action-classic or anything like that, but I found it to be a really entertaining and extremely well-shot hitman style movie that felt like something out of the 80's combined with some modern flair. I think you might enjoy it.
I'm not kidding, I literally have it on my movie pile right now. A friend insisted I watch it. I'll probably do so tomorrow after Girl Meets World.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 27, 2015, 11:58:07 PMDesperado is another good action movie, this time by Robert Rodriguez, in the vein of John Woo style shoot-outs. It lacks the same substance, but the style does really go a long way in this case, IMO.
Oh boy, I haven't seen the El Mariachi trilogy in a loooonnng time. I should probably get on that.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 27, 2015, 11:58:07 PMOn another note, I finally got around to seeing Heat. It's a very well-made, well-acted movie, and that famous shoot-out scene has earned its place on most top 10 lists. That said, I do get the feeling that, similar to True Detective season one, had this movie not had the right combination of director and actors, the script would've fell flat. Personally, I feel that Collateral is still Michael Mann's best film.
This is another one I saw waaay back on VHS (this was one of those movies that came on two VHS tapes like Titanic and Wyatt Earp) but I remember really liking it. I didn't think it was a classic or anything, but it was good at what it did. Certainly the action was good.

gunswordfist

Heat's dialogue can get laughable with how outdated the lingo is at times but besides that, I think I'd like it no matter who was casted.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

John Wick lived up to the hype. Taking '80s action movie sensibilities and wrapping it in a modern package was a treat, but I was even more surprised at how engaging it was. A simple revenge plot that spins out further and further it just kept getting better as it went on. The ending really brought everything full circle. The action scenes were so very good, too. No shaky cam alone would be enough to be awesome, but they are legitimately great. I hope this and Daredevil are enough to start a trend of proper action sequences again.

If they keep a character arc in mind for Wick that follows on this, I could definitely be interested in the sequel when it comes out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Glad you liked it! :joy:

As for the action scenes, it's worth noting that the directors of this movie, Chad Stahelski and David Leitch, are both former stunt-men themselves, so they had a lot of great insight into how to both choreograph and film proper action scenes. Not only was there no BS shaky-cam, but the camera angles were perfectly utilized to showcase the action in a manner that was easy for viewers to follow. Furthermore, they said in interviews that they wanted to stand out from other action movies by making the action feel more down-to-earth and less physics-defying.

The result is a very uniquely awesome kind of action in which it looks cool and flashy by not actually trying to be cool and flashy. Instead of shooting everything up, John Wick doesn't waste ammo and almost always shoots to kill, so you really buy that he's a professional hitman. Even better is that they made Keeanu Reeves train for months learning real fighting techniques from different kinds of practical martial arts, as well as how to properly wield guns, hence the two-handed style with a steady aim technique that persists throughout the movie. It has the effect of making John Wick feel lethal but also very vulnerable, rather than an unstoppable bullet-sponge.

In short, take notes Hollywood. THIS is how you're supposed to film action scenes.

Another thing that I really liked about this movie is the world-building aspect. On the one hand, this movie is a simple revenge plot, but it also does a great job of establishing this fictional underground society of hitmen that John was once a part of. Things like the gold coin being their form of currency and the idea of a special hotel that's a safe-haven for professional killers where no business may be conducted are novel concepts that could be further explored in a sequel (which this movie really deserves, IMO).

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, the way the stunts were done and filmed so that you could actually make out what was going on was great, but it was doubly exciting because the action scenes themselves were pretty good on their own. They actually got better and better as the film went on which worked as the story spun out of control.

Also the performances were quite great for such a simple film. I was impressed with pretty much everybody.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2015, 09:36:24 PMAnother thing that I really liked about this movie is the world-building aspect. On the one hand, this movie is a simple revenge plot, but it also does a great job of establishing this fictional underground society of hitmen that John was once a part of. Things like the gold coin being their form of currency and the idea of a special hotel that's a safe-haven for professional killers where no business may be conducted are novel concepts that could be further explored in a sequel (which this movie really deserves, IMO).
Good news on that end:

QuoteDuring an interview on February 4, 2015, directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch revealed that a John Wick sequel was currently in development. On February 6, 2015, CEO of Lionsgate, Jon Feltheimer made an announcement during a conference call, to which he stated, "We see John Wick as a multiple-title action franchise". Additionally, it was reported that Kolstad will return to write the screenplay. On May 4, 2015, it was confirmed that the sequel was greenlit and Lionsgate would be selling the film at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival. It was announced that Keanu Reeves, David Leitch and Chad Stahelski would return to the film.
I could see a Mad Max-style redemption arc here (taking out Thunderdome, anyway) that follows on from him getting the dog at the end of the movie. Also more information about the underground society who I will suspect will be a player should be interesting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, this is literally the best thing that Keanu Reeves has done since....I don't know, Point Break? And the other performances are very solid for an action movie.

Personally, I'd love for a sequel that moves the story forward, but which also contains short flash-back segments throughout that build on John's history with certain characters and establishments from the first movie.

On another note, on the subject of good action movies, you really should get around to the last two MI films. As someone who didn't like 2 very much (despite my usual love for John Woo's work) and thought that 3 was so-so, 4 and 5 were really a great return to form, IMO, and quite frankly are superior to even the first movie. I'd have to say that the 4th one in particular (Ghost Protocol by Brad Bird) is my favorite of the series.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2015, 10:17:25 PM
Yeah, this is literally the best thing that Keanu Reeves has done since....I don't know, Point Break? And the other performances are very solid for an action movie.
Well, he's done good things since then (like the Devil's Advocate),  but my personal favorite of his films is Speed though this is up there with it. I really think he should stick to these kinds of action movies. He's really good at them when he's on.

I was taken aback they he was nominated for the Razzie Redeemer Award for this one, but then it is his best movie in quite a while.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2015, 10:17:25 PMPersonally, I'd love for a sequel that moves the story forward, but which also contains short flash-back segments throughout that build on John's history with certain characters and establishments from the first movie.
I think that would be great if they used flashbacks like they did here only to emphasize the other side of John and in a potential third movie use both to complete the package. Really, there's a lot they can do here.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 28, 2015, 10:17:25 PMOn another note, on the subject of good action movies, you really should get around to the last two MI films. As someone who didn't like 2 very much (despite my usual love for John Woo's work) and thought that 3 was so-so, 4 and 5 were really a great return to form, IMO, and quite frankly are superior to even the first movie. I'd have to say that the 4th one in particular (Ghost Protocol by Brad Bird) is my favorite of the series.
I know, I know. I was going to sit down with Ghost Protocol on Netflix before they took it off. They have III on there which I'll probably watch just to finish the original three movies. But I keep hearing how Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation are leagues above the first trilogy

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 28, 2015, 10:36:12 PMWell, he's done good things since then (like the Devil's Advocate),

Oh, right, I forgot about Devil's Advocate. Though, Al Pacino stole the movie with his performance, IMO.

Quotebut my personal favorite of his films is Speed

Same.

QuoteI was taken aback they he was nominated for the Razzie Redeemer Award for this one, but then it is his best movie in quite a while.

Well, he has been in a lot of bad movies since The Matrix Reloaded, so it's not that surprising. Though as for the Razzie Redeemer Awards, I think that Ben Affleck earned that more than anyone else since he's done multiple great movies in the past few years, cementing his comeback.

QuoteI think that would be great if they used flashbacks like they did here only to emphasize the other side of John and in a potential third movie use both to complete the package. Really, there's a lot they can do here.

I think that flashbacks could work both ways. They could be about John from his point of view, but by extension we as the viewers naturally learn more about the world that he lives in without the need for blatant exposition.

QuoteI know, I know. I was going to sit down with Ghost Protocol on Netflix before they took it off. They have III on there which I'll probably watch just to finish the original three movies. But I keep hearing how Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation are leagues above the first trilogy

They really are. I like the first movie quite a bit, but it does feel a tad dated now. The second movie showed that John Woo and the MI franchise just didn't mesh too well and weren't meant for each other. The third movie by J. J. Abrams has a lot of visual flair (both figuratively and literally) and has its moments (including a great villain performance), but the story and tension feel lacking.

Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation just nailed it, though.

Avaitor

I finally got to watch Gone Girl, and wow, it's great! It almost feels like a game of chicken between Nick and Amy for who is the worse spouse, and at some points is a little hard to watch for how far it will go. But like Fincher at his best, it's shot too brilliantly to not get engrossed with. It's got to be one of his best.

And I showed my friend who brought it over Vertigo for the first time, as she loved it. This is a film that really does feel different every time you watch it. But the visual beauty is never lost, especially on how great the Blu looks.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Wow, RIP Dean Jones.

He was never any less than awesome in any movie I've seen him in, even in some of the sillier Disney flicks. Now would be a good time to show some of his best.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/