Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Those are fair points. I think you can interpret them as horror films. It's just that both of those films felt like completely different movies until their last 15-20 minutes or so. Having re-watched Carrie recently, though, it does feel effectively more somber to watch when you know how it ends.

No-Personality

I've seen plenty of movies that left me feeling the same way, but then they almost never get to the point where they feel like horror. I.E.: Possession - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVdtYAs8-w / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTB15PPtMyA - the greatest example of false advertising you'll ever see. All because it can't find home in a genre. But it's mostly either 10-minute long dialogue scenes or absurd scenes of people behaving strangely. Another ace example is Santa Sangre - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ3x6YgsacY . Ironically, this trailer doesn't show the amazing scene of horror that happens 59-minutes into the film. You couldn't wring 5 whole minutes of horror out of either film.

Plus, I don't feel Jaws, The Tenant, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, Aliens, Psycho, Freaks, The Invisible Man, Cat's Eye, What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice, Private Parts (1972), The Wraith, Scream 2 and 3, most giallos, or anything David Lynch has ever made (Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire, Lost Highway) are horror films. Though several could be considered examples of very ahead-of-their-time filmmaking.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, has anyone seen any recent horror films that were actually any good? While the genre has been dead for a while, I've seen some that I enjoyed to varying degrees over the past year.

I saw MaMa, the other day (which starred the guy who plays Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones). It was a mixed bag, and had a script that didn't really explain things all that well, but I kind of enjoyed it.

I also saw Insidious, which I thought was solid until the last 20-minutes, where there's a twist that makes it go from being a standard but entertaining paranormal type movie to being borderline Tim. Burton shenanigans, but even the it oddly enough didn't kill the film for me, but it did feel less scary at that point.

I saw a Sinister, which got mixed reviews, but honestly I really enjoyed it, and personally I loved the twist at the end.

Finally, I saw The Conjuring at least three times since it came out, and I really love it. It's not original in the slightest, so let's be clear on that, but I just love the execution so much. It manages to build an effectively creepy atmosphere without having to rely on gore or a body count. It's the best horror film that I've seen in a long time, personally, and felt just like a classic haunted house movie.

I plan to see the Evil Dead remake, eventually, which I've heard mixed things about. It's worth mentioning that, after 3 viewings, I don't really think that the original film is necessarily all that great, even if it's a classic, but even so, I can't deny how good it was at building a really disturbing atmosphere, and I loved the special effects, as cheesy and outdated as some of them are. I do respect it a lot as a film and like it well enough, bit hour holding it in any sacred light that would make me biased against the remake whether it was a quality product or not.

talonmalon333

Have you seen Army of Darkness yet, E-K? For some reason, I remember you saying at some point that you still hadn't seen that one.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think I did see it a few years back, but oddly enough, I can't remember for sure. :P

Either ways if I did see it, I barely remember it, so I really need to either watch or re-watch it. I did see Evil Dead 2, for sure, but that's another film that I need to re-watch.

On another note, though, does nobody have any good horror movies to recommend from what has come out in recent years?  I know it's been a dry market, but there should surely be some gems. I mean, I've at least heard of some foreign films that are worth looking into, like Let the Right One in.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 04, 2014, 03:14:44 PM
I think I did see it a few years back, but oddly enough, I can't remember for sure. :P

Either ways if I did see it, I barely remember it, so I really need to either watch or re-watch it. I did see Evil Dead 2, for sure, but that's another film that I need to re-watch.

On another note, though, does nobody have any good horror movies to recommend from what has come out in recent years?  I know it's been a dry market, but there should surely be some gems. I mean, I've at least heard of some foreign films that are worth looking into, like Let the Right One in.

Army of Darkness is my favorite of the three. I recently saw the Evil Dead musical. What's funny is that the story of the musical is based on the first two movies. However, the quotes are mostly taken from Army of Darkness, as that's the one with the most gold in it. :D

As for recent years... sadly, I can't think of anything. The Others was a solid movie, but looking at Wikipedia, it came out in 2001, which makes it less recent than I believed. I wish I could recommend something from this genre I love, but there's nothing I can come up with. Hopefully someone else here can recommend what I can't.

Spark Of Spirit

I heard good things about "Deliver Us From Evil", but I haven't seen it, so I dunno. Good exorcism movies are so very rare after all.

Oh yeah, and apparently the director for that will be doing the Doctor Strange movie. So I'm guessing he did at least a decent job.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Will that be part of Marvel Movie Universe?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I was afraid it might have been apart of the "We don't speak on the rest of Marvel" Universe. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

So in preparation for the horror season (since my schedule doesn't allow for constantly watching horror movies as I could when I was younger, so I have to start as early as September), tonight I saw the Canadian movie Ginger Snaps. I don't think I'd even heard of this movie before tonight. It comes highly recommended.

Avaitor

I still haven't seen that, but I know that Ginger from those movies is also Margot Verger in Hannibal. She is great on the show, which raised my interest a little.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I still need to see more than the first few episodes of Hannibal, but she's great in Ginger Snaps.

Avaitor

Oh wait, I forgot the other reason I need to see these movies: Tatiana Maslany is in the second.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

It seems really weird to me that they made a sequel to this movie.