Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Man, that's a really good list of films. Shame I probably won't get around to watching all of them.

If more channels had Halloween marathons of classic horror movies it would be a heck of a lot easier. Last year I couldn't even find one good marathon. So I just watched The Stand miniseries.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

1st: Scream
2nd: An American Werewolf in London
3rd: The Thing (1982)
4th: The Shining
5th: The Evil Dead Trilogy
6th: Return of the Living Dead
7th: American Psycho
8th: Cemetery Man
9th: Happiness of the Katakuris
10th: Shaun of the Dead
11th: The Exorcist
12th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
13th: Poltergeist
14th: Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979 remake)
15th: Ring
16th: Bride of Frankenstein
17th: Alien
18th: Night, Dawn, and Day Trilogy (George Romero)

Good man, Talon!

Also, I cheated by including an extra entry, but I defend this by saying that these are essential horror films. If you guys are against that, though, then I'll remove it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another suggestion on my part is Psycho.

Of course, don't forget guys, there's also always next year (assuming that this idea generates enough discussion this year). So don't worry too much if your nominees don't make it in this time.

I really wanted to nominate The Conjuring, myself, but since nobody else here has seen it except for me, there was really no point, especially since I'm not sure if anyone else would enjoy it as much as I personally did.

On another note, I just watched Fright Night (the original). Admittedly, it wasn't quite what I expected. I was thinking that it would be a horror comedy, but it played it pretty straight outside if the Vincent Price character, who was easily the best thing about the movie. Still, I feel a tad disappointed, but it was still a worthwhile film.

Spark Of Spirit

I have no objection. Other than 28 Days Later, Return, and Shaun, the first Romero ones are the only zombie movies I can stomach.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I nominate The Fog (1980), From Dusk Til Dawn, Dracula/Horror of Dracula, and...that's all I can think of. I'd nominate Predator, but I personally don't really consider that a horror movie.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 26, 2014, 01:00:30 AM
Man, that's a really good list of films. Shame I probably won't get around to watching all of them.

If more channels had Halloween marathons of classic horror movies it would be a heck of a lot easier. Last year I couldn't even find one good marathon. So I just watched The Stand miniseries.  :P

TCM and El Rey would be your best bets for a good classic horror marathon, assuming you get either of them.

Avaitor

Can we put the original Wicker Man on the 19th, please? A local theater here is playing it at midnight then, so that would be perfect!

Anyway

Witchfinder General
City of the Living Dead
The Innocents
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

1st: Scream
2nd: An American Werewolf in London
3rd: The Thing (1982)
4th: The Shining
5th: The Evil Dead Trilogy
6th: Return of the Living Dead
7th: American Psycho
8th: Cemetery Man
9th: Re-Animator
10th: Shaun of the Dead
11th: The Exorcist
12th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
13th: Poltergeist
14th: Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979 remake)
15th: Ring
16th: Bride of Frankenstein
17th: Alien
18th: Night, Dawn, and Day Trilogy (George Romero)
19th: The Wicker Man (1973)
20th: Witchfinder General
21st: City of the Living Dead
22nd: The Innocents
23rd: Psycho
24th: Wes Craven's New Nightmare
25th: Drag Me To Hell
26th: Slither
27th: The Fog (1980)
28th: From Dusk Till Dawn
29th: Horror of Dracula
30th: The Omen (1976)
31st: Halloween (1978)

Great nominations, everyone!

Since there were only 2 spots remaining, I decided to fill them in with what I consider to be 2 of the most iconic horror films of all time. With that, we have our list, so come October 1st, I will create a separate discussion thread for this. If anyone wants to replace any of their own nominations with something else, then you have until then to let me know (or at least before the day that the entry is scheduled for discussion). ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on September 26, 2014, 02:50:35 AMI'd nominate Predator, but I personally don't really consider that a horror movie.

I agree. It has horror elements with the Predator stalking and killing its victims with stealth, much like in a classic slasher film, but I have always considered it to be an action film, first and foremost, much like Aliens.

Foggle

Can you replace Happiness of the Katakuris with Re-Animator, please? :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on September 26, 2014, 12:34:44 PMCan you replace Happiness of the Katakuris with Re-Animator, please? :)

I was literally JUST thinking that we forgot to include Re-Animator. :lol:

Done.

Spark Of Spirit

Thankfully I either own most of them or they're on Netflix. I should be able to see most of these.

Also went to amazon and got physical copies of a few of them. It's been a long time coming.

talonmalon333

Nosferstu the Vampyre is probably my all time favorite horror film alongside Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, and The Exorcist.

Also, while I didn't nominate it for this topic, I do recommend Ginger Snaps to you guys. It's probably my favorite werewolf movie after An American Werewolf in London.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have actually seen a good portion of these films. That said, I do really need to re-watch some, and for others that I haven't seen, while most of those aren't streaming on Netflix or HBO, I'm sure that I can still find them for dirt cheap if I look hard enough.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, and They Live is another one that I almost nominated, but ultimately had to leave off of the lists if we do this again next year, though, then I'll definitely nominate it. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's one of the best horror comedies ever, IMO. The Host is another great horror comedy, though some may argue that it's more of a giant monster movie, however I disagree with this sentiment as the Monster in the film isn't really that big, and it captures much of its human prey in the dead of night and stores them in its lair for later meals, which definitely goes more along the lines of horror in my book.

Spark Of Spirit

I also would have nominated 28 Days Later. Though the second half is not quite as good as the first, it's still a pretty good one overall. One of the few zombie movies I enjoy. I liked the ending, too.

Do not see the sequel.