Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 27, 2014, 12:43:23 AMThe first two are pretty good, though I do prefer the original.

Unfortunately, I don't have either on Netflix.  :-[

I think I may slightly prefer the '78 version for the character dynamics, but overall I came out really enjoying each one for different reasons. The original was great for leaving more to the imagination, but at the same time, you've got to give credit to the '78 version for its effects. Those still hold up incredibly well, even today.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 27, 2014, 12:51:52 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 27, 2014, 12:43:23 AMThe first two are pretty good, though I do prefer the original.

Unfortunately, I don't have either on Netflix.  :-[

I think I may slightly prefer the '78 version for the character dynamics, but overall I came out really enjoying each one for different reasons. The original was great for leaving more to the imagination, but at the same time, you've got to give credit to the '78 version for its effects, though. Those still hold up incredibly well, even today.
I really enjoyed them both when I first saw them. It's such a good universal theme that it can really be remade a hundred times. I haven't seen the latter two versions, though I heard they're not anywhere as good as the first two versions. Which would be a shame, because it's a concept that lends itself well to multiple executions.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember that the 1993 version got decent reviews (Roger Ebert was pretty positive about it, himself), but the general consensus was that it wasn't quite as good as the first 2 versions. The 2007 one got really mixed reviews, and I remember watching about half of it a few years ago and not really being able to get into it.

Avaitor

I've read the original book and have seen the 56 version, and I quite like both. I can't wait to get to the 76 version when we hit it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, I've been thinking about picking up the book. I might look into it after I finally catch up with ASOIAF. I also want to read the "Who Goes There?" novella.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, while we're on the subject of invasion movies, who else here has seen They Live? Now would be a perfect time to discuss films that didn't make the list this year.

I feel that it's one of Carpenters more forgotten and underrated films, but it's another one of my favorite horror comedies.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just re-watched The Thing (1982). Man, what a classic film. Not only is it both one of the best Horror AND Science-Fiction movies of all time (rivaled only by the likes of Alien, and maybe 1 or 2 other films, IMO), but it's also one of the very best films that I have seen, period. If I ever redid my top 30 favorite films list, this would certainly be among them. I can't wait to talk more about it during 31 Nights of Halloween.

I'll probably re-watch Scream (which is available on Netflix, along with its sequels) tomorrow, in preparation of October 1st, and I already re-watched AAWIL a few months ago, so it doesn't matter that I can't find that one streaming on Netflix or HBO GO, currently.

talonmalon333

Okay, so I'm trying to choose my favorite horror movies for individual categories (vampire, zombie, etc.). So far I have these categories.

Vampire/Dracula
1. Nosferatu the Vampyre
2. Nosferatu
3. Dracula (Spanish Version)

Frankenstein
1. Bride of Frankenstein
2. Frankenstein
3. The Curse of Frankenstein

Werewolf
1. An American Werewolf in London
2. Ginger Snaps
3. The Wolf Man

Zombie
1. Dawn of the Dead
2. Night of the Living Dead
3. The Evil Dead

Science-Fiction
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. The Thing

Slasher
1. Halloween
2. A Nightmare on Elm Street
3. Black Christmas

Comedy
1. Bride of Frankenstein
2. An American Werewolf in London
3. Return of the Living Dead

Demonic
1. Rosemary's Baby
2. The Exorcist
3. The Shining

Ghost
1. The Haunting
2. The Blair Witch Project
3. The Others

I'm trying to think of other horror movie categories. If you have any ideas, let me know. And of course, feel free to comment on my picks.

Daikun

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 03, 2014, 06:54:13 PMI'm trying to think of other horror movie categories. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Horror comedies, maybe?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Daikun on October 03, 2014, 06:56:13 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 03, 2014, 06:54:13 PMI'm trying to think of other horror movie categories. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Horror comedies, maybe?

1. Bride of Frankenstein
2. An American Werewolf in London
3. Return of the Living Dead

I remember E-K recently saying that he doesn't feel movies such as Shaun of the Dead count as horror comedies, and that they are more like pure comedies that just parody horror movies (correct me if I'm wrong, E-K). That's a viewpoint I agree with. Though admittedly, Shaun of the Dead probably wouldn't make this list.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, that's about what I said. And don't get me wrong, SotD is a brilliant comedy, but I just don't consider it to be an actual horror movie based on it's dominantly comedic tone. It's the same with the films like Dead Alive (Brain Dead) and Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn.

As for my favorite horror comedies:

2. Return of the Living Dead
3. The Host
4. Re-Animator
5. They Live

Also, as far as Sci-Fi/Horror goes, I don't really consider Aliens to be a horror movie. By that point it was a full-on action series, IMO. As far as that genre goes, though, I'd argue that you could consider the original Terminator to be a horror movie. James Rolfe already pointed it out, but the film has many similarities to a slasher film, with the villain coming after it's victims in the night, and the film even has a fair amount of jump-scare style moments. Hell, by the end of the film it's like a classic slasher film chase scene with the fully exposed Terminator metal skeleton moving around as if it were Michael Meyers, except as a robot it's even more inhuman, especially with the use of that creepy stop motion. It really doesn't have enough action to be considered an action movie, so personally I'd put that third as one of my favorite Sci-Fi/Horror movies. At the very least I'd say that it counts as horror more than Aliens does.

Foggle

Evil Dead 2 is most certainly a horror film. I've met people who thought it was legitimately scary (yeah, I know) and didn't realize it was supposed to be humorous. I would agree if you had said Army of Darkness, though.

Though I personally think that any movie which has heavy horror elements, even if they're only used for laughs, counts as a horror-comedy. They may not be horror movies that are also comedies, but they are comedies that base themselves around horror.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2014, 07:27:06 PM
Yeah, that's about what I said. And don't get me wrong, SotD is a brilliant comedy, but I just don't consider it to be an actual horror movie based on it's dominantly comedic tone. It's the same with the films like Dead Alive (Brain Dead) and Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn.

As for my favorite horror comedies:

2. Return of the Living Dead
3. The Host
4. Re-Animator
5. They Live

I completely forgot about the Evil Dead movies. I'll have to include them in my lists in some form. Well, Army of Darkness might not really count since, by its point, the horror was practically drained from the franchise. But at the very least, Evil Dead II could be a candidate for my horror comedy list.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2014, 07:27:06 PMAlso, as far as Sci-Fi/Horror goes, I don't really consider Aliens to be a horror movie. By that point it was a full-on action series, IMO. As far as that genre goes, though, I'd argue that you could consider the original Terminator to be a horror movie. James Rolfe already pointed it out, but the film has many similarities to a slasher film, with the villain coming after it's victims in the night, and the film even has a fair amount of jump-scare style moments. Hell, by the end of the film it's like a classic slasher film chase scene with the fully exposed Terminator metal skeleton moving around as if it were Michael Meyers, except as a robot it's even more inhuman, especially with the use of that creepy stop motion. It really doesn't have enough action to be considered an action movie, so personally I'd put that third as one of my favorite Sci-Fi/Horror movies. At the very least I'd say that it counts as horror more than Aliens does.

In that case, replace Aliens with The Terminator as my #2 science-fiction list, as that's probably exactly where it would go anyway. :P

Also, I'd argue that both The Terminator and the original Alien are similar to slasher films. If I were to include them on my slasher list, they'd take the #1 and #2 spots.

EDIT: Updated my original post with the lists.

Spark Of Spirit

Army of Darkness is as much of a horror as Aliens. That said, it's still my favorite Evil Dead movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 03, 2014, 07:36:29 PM
Army of Darkness is as much of a horror as Aliens. That said, it's still my favorite Evil Dead movie.

Mine too. I just feel bad about including Army of Darkness on my comedy list because then I'd have to cut Return of the Living Dead.