"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, April 03, 2014, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Release Date: April 4, 2014
Studio: Marvel Entertainment
Director: Anthony & Joe Russo
Aspect Ratio: 2.35 : 1
Starring: Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson

Plot Summary: Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and battles a new threat from old history: the Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier.

COMMENTS?

Alright, so far we're 3 for 3 in Phase 2. I think I like this one as much as the first Cap, which I enjoyed a great deal. My only problem on the top of my head is that the Russo brothers had some camera angle issues with their fight scenes, especially during the opening sequence. Otherwise it's good stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Spoiler
So that's how Tony's father died.
[close]

Well, I thought it was excellent. On par with the first one which is amazing considering how different, yet the same, it was from it. Thankfully I purposely stayed away from most of the Winter Soldier stuff (other then his identity) which helped a lot, but everything here was just too good on top of it. Special mention for Falcon fitting in perfectly with the Marvel universe as well as keeping Black Widow and giving her some good shades to her character. And that ending? That I didn't expect, nor did I expect it to mesh so well with the themes from the first movie (that twist added so much that I'm still grinning over how well it all fits) and Chris Evans is still the perfect Cap. If you thought the first movie was great, you have to see this one. I wonder where they'll take the third one, and if it'll manage to top the first two. That's gonna take work though.

Just like the first movie had a great Raiders/WWII movie feel, this one is closer to the more modern Bourne-style while still keeping the adventure aspects intact. I don't know how they did it, but they did it. Excellent work.

I think the Captain America movies are going to go down as the secret best superhero movies. They're not as explosive as the Thor movies or as in your face as the Iron Man movies, nor as "wow"inducing as the Avengers (and its sequels will probably be) but man do they make it up with storytelling and character development.

Perfect 5 from me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I saw it today and loved it. I would add this to my list of top tier MCU films, along with the first Captain America and The Avengers. I liked both Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World well enough, but the Cap easily wins phase 2 for me. This movie had just as much heart to it as the first one did, and as an added bonus, it has the best villain in the MCU so far, next to Loki. The Winter Soldier doesn't talk much, but he's easily one of the most memorable characters from the film for just how menacing he is, and he's definitely a worthy adversary for Cap.

Overall, I think this is just about as good as the first movie, though I do prefer that one by just a tiny bit if only because I really like how it's a period piece with a superhero in it. This is honestly just as awesome, though. It's basically James Bond or Jason Bourne meets comic books, as Desensitized put it, and that's a kick-ass combination.

Marvel, you're already off to a great start this year. Hopefully you can keep it up with GOTG, and even though X-Men and Spider-Man aren't Marvel Studios films, both of those look like they could be great if executed properly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2014, 07:12:45 PMI think the Captain America movies are going to go down as the secret best superhero movies. They're not as explosive as the Thor movies or as in your face as the Iron Man movies, nor as "wow"inducing as the Avengers (and its sequels will probably be) but man do they make it up with storytelling and character development.

Perfect 5 from me.

This. So much, this. When people ask me why Captain America was my favorite Marvel movie, this is basically what I want to tell them. If you go back and re-watch the first movie, you can easily see that Cap and some of the supporting characters got better development than most of the other characters from the other origin-story movies. That, and I felt that the first film, as well as this one, were really good at developing a central theme and sticking to it throughout the entire duration of the film (whereas I felt that other films in the MCU could get bogged down at times from just losing focus somewhere along the lines).

Spark Of Spirit

I actually went back and re-watched the first movie after seeing the new one (It was just that good) and found out just how well that holds up. The themes and plot carry over so flawlessly that it's hard to believe that they take place so many years apart from each other. While that one only gets better on every re-watch, I can only imagine how this one will.

I'm wondering if I should see it again, actually. I think X2 is the last superhero movie I saw twice in the theater. (Would have seen the first Cap again but waited too long to see it)

So, any word on how Agents of Shield is going to work after this movie?

Dr. Insomniac

Can we pretend Agents of SHIELD is non-canon? Because I do.

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 07, 2014, 05:20:55 PMCan we pretend Agents of SHIELD is non-canon? Because I do.

Seconded. I was so glad to see no tie-ins to that series bogging this movie down (if there were any, they did a good job of keeping it subtle).

Dr. Insomniac

Though the movie made me realize how Agents of SHIELD makes more sense if you take the characters there as just really incompetent HYDRA agents.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 07, 2014, 05:53:56 PM
Though the movie made me realize how Agents of SHIELD makes more sense if you take the characters there as just really incompetent HYDRA agents.

This is my new headcannon.

Saw Winter Soldier today and I thought it was pretty great. Even got a decent sized crowd for an 11:30 AM showing. Really liked the character development in the film & it felt like everyone got their fair share of it and put into a corner. Well, except for maybe Cobie Smulder's characters, but I really didn't pay attention to her.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 07, 2014, 05:57:28 PM
Well, except for maybe Cobie Smulder's characters, but I really didn't pay attention to her.
Yeah, Maria Hill is basically just a yes man for Fury, but considering how her character is portrayed in the comics and on EMH, I'd take that any day.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I couldn't stand Hill in EMH. Every show has its ass-hole character that everyone hates, and in EMH she was it.

GregX

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 07, 2014, 05:57:28 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 07, 2014, 05:53:56 PM

This is my new headcannon.

Or, The Bus happens to be flying nearby, BOOM... Hydra helicarrier takes it out.

Avaitor

Maria Hill only existed in the comics and EMH for one reason- to never shut the fuck up about how super heroes need to register. Since every hero in the MCU is either already public and/or works for S.H.I.E.L.D. (not to mention the non-human ones), there's no reason for her to carry this tiresome torch.

New blog!