Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster."

Release Date: September 19, 1990
Studio: Warner
Director: Martin Scorsese
Aspect Ratio: 1.85 : 1
Starring:  Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci

Plot Summary: Henry Hill is a small time gangster, who takes part in a robbery with Jimmy Conway and Tommy De Vito, two other gangsters who have set their sights a bit higher. His two partners kill off everyone else involved in the robbery, and slowly start to climb up through the hierarchy of the Mob. Henry, however, is badly affected by his partners success, but will he stoop low enough to bring about the downfall of Jimmy and Tommy?

COMMENTS?

So Henry Hill died earlier this week...
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I heard about that.

This movie itself is based on the book "Wiseguy," which itself was a non-fiction book about the life of Henry Hill in the mob based on his interviews by Nicholas Pileggi, so that's probably as close to an accurate representation of the mafia that we could possibly get on film.

Anyways, this has to be one of the best written, best directed, and best acted films of all time. I can still watch it to this day and admire every single layer of its brilliance. I guess its just that the film feels so genuine. I like how the characters aren't romanticized like in other gangster movies, but are just basically played up straight for what they are. That makes the characters feel real, rather than just being written for a movie, and that really contributes to the re-watchability of this film, since I can never seem to get tired of it no matter how many times I view it.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 14, 2012, 06:36:39 PM
Anyways, this has to be one of the best written, best directed, and best acted films of all time. I can still watch it to this day and admire every single layer of its brilliance. I guess its just that the film feels so genuine. I like how the characters aren't romanticized like in other gangster movies, but are just basically played up straight for what they are. That makes the characters feel real, rather than just being written for a movie, and that really contributes to the re-watchability of this film, since I can never seem to get tired of it no matter how many times I view it.
This right here.

The book is great, too.

gunswordfist

i need to watch all of this film soon.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've already watched it more than a dozen times (not an exaggeration), but now that you brought it up again, a re-swatch can't hurt.

Speedy

Whenever anyone references this movie, they always bring up the famous "What's funny about me?" scene, but here's another great one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glSN4qvjt2E

"What'd I tell you?  YOU DON'T BUY ANYTHING."