"Harold and Maude" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, July 02, 2012, 05:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

This is Harold. Fully equipped to deal with life. This is Maude. Harold's girlfriend.

"You sure have a way with people."
"Well, they're my species!"

Release Date: December 20, 1972
Studio: Paramount
Director: Hal Ashby
Aspect Ratio: 1.85 : 1
Starring: Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort, Vivian Pickles

Plot Summary: Self-destructive and needy but wealthy teenager Harold is obsessed with death and spends his leisure time attending funerals, watching the demolition of buildings, visiting junkyards, simulating suicides trying to get the attention of his indifferent, snobbish and egocentric mother, and having sessions with his psychologist. When Harold meets the anarchic seventy-nine-year-old Maude at a funeral, they become friends and the old lady discloses other perspectives of the cycle of life for him. Meanwhile, his mother enlists him in a dating service and tries to force him to join the army. On the day of Maude's eightieth birthday, Harold proposes to her but he finds the truth about life at the end of hers.

COMMENTS?

Universal isn't the only studio celebrating its centennial anniversary. Criterion pulled this out lately, so I figured it deserved a talkback.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/