Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 14, 2013, 12:30:36 PM
My favorite part of Trigun is 'Flying Ship'/'Out Of Time' two-parter, since it has about everything that makes the show as great as it is. The best single episode in my mind is probably 'Paradise'.

Those are great episodes!  :thumbup: Actually, those are my 4th and 3rd favorite episodes in the series, respectively. "Live Through" just really resonated and connected with me on an emotional level, which is why I consider that episode to be my favorite. Really, though, I think all the episodes of Trigun, the last 7 plus "Fifth Moon" and "Rem Saverem" especially, are all bloody fantastic.  ;)

Quote from: Lord Dalek on July 14, 2013, 12:55:21 PM
That being said... I would never put any Toei anything (One Piece included) in a list I made because they never put any effort into what they shove out and and most of the time the episodes just blend together into one anomalous blob.

To be honest...I've also grown a lot of disdain for the cheapness in Toei's productions over the years. This is mainly due to their animation quality, which I find incredibly lacking compared to other series. From what I've seen of it, Madhouse's adaption of Hunter X Hunter puts the animation in even the best fights of One Piece to shame, I have to say. Also, their pacing with their adaptions is atrocious. We all know how bad Dragonball Z's is...but it's also pretty much ruined One Piece's anime for me these last two years (it didn't help Fishman Island was already the worst written arc in the series, though), and it honestly killed the energy of the Marineford arc, probably my favorite arc in the manga. And don't get me started on how they've screwed over Toriko, especially during the (originally quite intense in the manga) battle with Tommyrod.... :srs:

That said, I do think that they can produce some great work. Dragonball adds filler to the story, but it is so finely embedded into the canon events that it's mostly a welcome expansion upon elements of the original story. They also handled emotional moments in the earlier parts of One Piece quite well, and some of them still leave an impact with me, like those in Chopper's backstory, for instance. I also thought the pacing of One Piece up until around the middle of the CP9 saga was quite good and never felt too stretched out to me. These are instances were I feel they were really trying to present the material in the best way possible despite limitations and pacing concerns. It's sad that nowadays they seem to like to stretch things out as long as possible and animate their fights and action scenes in the laziest, cost-effective way possible.  :imnothappy:

Now, as for me putting a Bobobo episode as my #1 favorite individual episode in anime....well, first of all it IS my favorite episode, Toei or not, because the content of the episode still comes across that effective for me, both when I was a kid, and still when I rewatch that episode nowadays (and I've gone through runs of Bobobo one or two times each year since 2008, not counting the times I just watch an episode of it for the heck of it, so I have seen the series more than enough times to know what I like and don't like about it thoroughly). The thing with Bobobo is, though...it's a comedy, and the fights are not supposed to be epic or intense like in other series like One Piece and Toriko. I would have preferred if the series had better animation, obviously, but Toei's traditional laziness didn't hurt the show too much overall. Some things that do bother me in the anime (and yes, even though it's my favorite show I am not blind to the fact it has some problems, I just am able to still love it in spite of them  ;) ), like the frequency of the Beauty-freak out moments in the Cyber City arc, are stuff that worked in the manga, but just didn't translate well in the anime and sorta hurt the impact of a joke or two. The only thing that Toei did with the series that i didn't like (besides toning down the intensity of the violence and the more overt sexual innuendos, but those I blame more on tv broadcasting standards for children's shows in Japan), is splitting all the episodes after the Cyber City arc into two parts, adding a pointless recap of the first half of the episode in the middle of it, but this was taken out for the most part in the dub, and instead the narrator just talks about something else on his mind while the footage plays, the result being quite hilarious  :D.  Anyway, the point is Toei did a decent job with the Bobobo anime and it worked because the material didn't need elaborate animation to be funny. I think that, around the Cyber City arc, the manga is the funnier of the two, but the later parts of the anime still have me laughing throughout the episodes, and the spirit of the show never wanes or is corrupted by Toei's changes, at least in my opinion.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say is Toei's level of animation quality works for me alright when they are doing a comedy like Dr. Slump or Bobobo, but piss me off when they ruin otherwise good fight scenes or drag the hell out of subject material because they are too lazy to write a semi-decent filler arc like in post-Impel Down One Piece and Toriko:sweat:

gunswordfist

Hey, I remember Colours TV.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Top 10 greatest anime finale episodes of all time:

10. Dragon Ball Z
9. Gundam Seed Destiny
8. Aku no Hana
7. Inuyasha
6. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
5. Space Runaway Ideon
4. Berserk
3. School Days
2. Blood-C
1. Master of Martial Hearts

Lord Dalek

^Great idea!

10. Gurren Lagann
09. Elfen Lied
08. Sword Art Online Aincrad
07. Clannad After Story
06. Aku no Hana
05. Sword Art Online Fairy Dance
04. Inuyasha
03. Blood-C
02. Master of Martial Hearts
01. School Days

TheEclecticDude

I suppose to follow suit lol
10 Favorite Finale Episodes

10. Tenamonya Voyagers
9. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
8. Diebuster
7. FLCL
6. Magic Users' Club (OVA)
5. El Hazard: The Magnificent World
4. Crest of the Stars
3. Read or Die the TV Series
2. Magic Knight Rayearth
1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on August 06, 2013, 07:06:49 PM
10. Dragon Ball Z
9. Gundam Seed Destiny
8. Aku no Hana
7. Inuyasha
5. Space Runaway Ideon
4. Berserk
3. School Days
2. Blood-C

Even though this is a joke list, I honestly did really like Dragon Ball Z's final episode (and I say this as someone who generally detests the anime, these days). It felt like a really nice epilogue to the entire series (including Dragon Ball). Now, Dragon Ball GT's final episode....THAT's something that should fit right in with a joke list of this sort. ;)

It's actually a good idea, though, so just for some legitimate entries of my favorite final episodes to various anime (in no particular order):

Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Hunter X Hunter OVA (I'm pretending that the GI OVAs don't exist)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Monster
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid

gunswordfist

Not sure if serious about Inuyasha being people's favorite finale (maybe I need to watch it) but here's my list in no order: Big O, Heat Guy J, YYH, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Kikaider, S-CRY-ed...and thats all I can think of. Edit: oh and FLCL.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 06, 2013, 08:17:32 PM
Not sure if serious about Inuyasha being people's favorite finale
It's a list of troll/inconclusive endings.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 06, 2013, 07:06:49 PM
Top 10 greatest anime finale episodes of all time:

10. Dragon Ball Z
9. Gundam Seed Destiny
8. Aku no Hana
7. Inuyasha
5. Space Runaway Ideon
4. Berserk
3. School Days
2. Blood-C

You're the reason I live to forget.

TheEclecticDude

Oh, I thought this was serious list.....

Whoops?

Lord Dalek

Quote from: TheEclecticDude on August 06, 2013, 09:51:31 PM
Oh, I thought this was serious list.....

Whoops?
Son why on earth would I include a series of crappy shows with no endings on my list?

Spark Of Spirit

I would also say the Area 88 series had a pretty good ending. The OVA's ending was kind of very 80s anime where everything just sort of ends while the anime series actually has a much better one.

Trigun's is also really good to the point where it's one of the few 26 episode series that I didn't mind ended when it did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Bah. I like InuYasha's actual ending. That is, the one that's there in The Final Act. I have yet to watch it, but I know it's the same as the manga's ending, which I liked, so it's a given. Of course, I'm the only one here who likes InuYasha at all, so you people who never liked the series at all probably wouldn't be able to like the ending at all, either.

As for my favorite anime endings, to list the ones I like the most:

11. Samurai Champloo
10 Trigun
9. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
8. Azumanga Daioh
7. Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
6. Outlaw Star
5. Cowboy Bebop
4. Black Lagoon (Tie between both the endings of the Second Barrage and the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA)
3. The Big O
2. Monster
1. Yu Yu Hakusho

Foggle

I wasn't talking about Final Act. :P

LumRanmaYasha

I know, but still, the series got an ending in it's anime adaption, so the first InuYasha's cut off ending is a non-issue at this point.   :P

I actually don't think it was a terrible cut-off point, but I feel sorry for the fans of the series who had to deal with a non-ending after years of dragged-out pacing (me, I hated InuYasha as a kid and only changed my attitude towards it after my enjoyment of Ranma 1/2 made me give the manga a chance. I agree it goes on a hundred chapters too long, but since I never had to deal with the problem of waiting for a next installment and could read it all at once I can't say it bothered me much at all and I enjoyed the overall product when I was done with it).

The funny thing is about the first anime's ending is that if they just went a little bit farther they would have gotten to a point where something of importance happened; Kagura's death. Like, seriously, the first anime ends around volume 36, and both Kagura and Hakudoshi die in volume 38, not to mention the fact Kohaku and Sango finally reunite, Moryomaru/The Infant betrays Naraku, and InuYasha and co. learn he's Naraku's heart. All of that. Two volumes later. While the story still wouldn't have been resolved, ending the series with the deaths of two major characters and developments for a two more would have been better than ending it with a seemingly random story that resolved nothing, but I guess Sunrise wanted to call it quits as soon as possible.  :sweat: