Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 11, 2013, 07:47:30 PM
VLord looooooves all of Togashi's works.  :sly:
It's true.  I like his stuff a lot.........but I do think he's lazy asshole.  I WANT MORE HUNTERXHUNTER CHAPTERS DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 11, 2013, 07:47:30 PM
VLord looooooves all of Togashi's works.  :sly:
EK is obsolete now. Let's replace him with Vlord.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Oh, incoming arms race.

Spark Of Spirit

I've revamped a lot of my list and re-watched a lot of old favorites for new perspectives since I first made it. As such, I only have a top 5 right now.

1. Trigun
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Martian Successor Nadesico
5. Monster

I still like the rest of my former top 10, but I'm not sure how I'd rank them now. I just don't see those 5 changing anytime soon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 11, 2013, 05:32:42 PM1. Trigun
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Monster

I love 4 of those anime, and I still need to see MSN. I'm really glad to see that Yu Yu Hakusho is still one of your top 3 favorites, though. To me, the anime version of Yu Yu Hakusho single-handedly encompasses EVERYTHING that is great (and that I love) about shounen series. Even Rurouni Kenshin, my favorite manga (and consequently shounen series) of all-time does not necessarily capture every element of it. Yu Yu Hakusho truly has everything, though, from great comedy to great drama.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 11, 2013, 05:47:47 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 11, 2013, 05:32:42 PM1. Trigun
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Monster

I love 4 of those anime, and I still need to see MSN. I'm really glad to see that Yu Yu Hakusho is still one of your top 3 favorites, though. To me, the anime version of Yu Yu Hakusho single-handedly encompasses EVERYTHING that is great (and that I love) about shounen series. Even Rurouni Kenshin, my favorite manga (and consequently shounen series) of all-time does not necessarily capture every element of it. Yu Yu Hakusho truly has everything, though, from great comedy to great drama.
I remember JesuOtaku did a top 25 list once and put YYH in her top ten basically saying it was the one shonen fighting show she could confidently put with her favorites and not really have to justify its place, and I see what she means. It's probably the best written shonen there is, also encompassing all the best aspects of a shonen show, and that's what enables me to still enjoy it even as I get older. The original Dragon Ball is like that too, though I would have to fully re-watch that to see where it would rank for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Though I have to say, Outlaw Star is really a lot better than I remember it being. It would probably be on my list if my list was longer.

The Shadow Gentleman

I also revamped mine recently. At the moment all I have is:

1. Trigun
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Monster
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. GTO

Angus

I stopped updating my all-time ones, since they hardly ever change.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on September 11, 2013, 06:53:47 PM

1. Trigun
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Monster
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. GTO
:thumbup:

GTO is awesome. I think it might be a bit too long in the tooth, and the dub could really stand to be better, but it's unabashedly fun stuff. There's some old stuff I haven't seen in years that I need refreshers on like Vision Of Escaflowne, El Hazard, and even Tenchi. Like Outlaw Star, I forgot an awful lot that happened in them since I haven't seen them in so long.

Foggle

I really do need to watch Nadesico. I've been putting it off for awhile - mostly because I'd rather just buy it and watch it on DVD. So I need the money for that first.

I guess my current top five series would be:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
3. Gurren Lagann
4. Baccano!
5. Hyouge Mono

Monster would probably be on there, but I've only seen a few episodes of it. Would much rather read the manga. You can probably guess the rest of my top 10, though perhaps not their order. But do it and you'll win a prize*.

*Whether or not you'll actually want said prize is irrelevant.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 27, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
1. Monster
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Cowboy Bebop
5. Trigun

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 11, 2013, 05:32:42 PM
I've revamped a lot of my list and re-watched a lot of old favorites for new perspectives since I first made it. As such, I only have a top 5 right now.

1. Trigun
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Monster

I still like the rest of my former top 10, but I'm not sure how I'd rank them now. I just don't see those 5 changing anytime soon.

Wow, your opinions are remarkably consistent! Even with just the top 5, my favorite anime list looks radically different than it was when I first posted it in March....

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 17, 2013, 04:40:05 PM
5: One Piece
4: Ranma 1/2
3: Trigun
2: Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo
1: Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (although I prefer Brotherhood by a tiny margin)

MY CURRENT TOP 5:

5. Monster
4. Dragonball
3. Maison Ikkoku
2. Trigun
1. Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo

I mean, seriously, the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise isn't even in my top ten anymore, but you have the same 5 series in your top 5 after almost three years! Props, dude.  :thumbup:

Although it's funny how Trigun switched places with Monster and Cowboy Bebop with Yu Yu Hakusho, while Nadesico's still at #4.  :D

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on September 11, 2013, 06:53:47 PM

1. Trigun
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Monster
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. GTO

This reminds me that I should watch more of the Great Teacher Onizuka anime. I've watched the first 4 episodes before, and while they were good adaptions of the material, I preferred reading the story in the manga, and so I ended up forgetting to watch the rest of it.  :P Even though I've finished the manga, I should go back and watch the anime, if only because that early material was probably some of the funniest GTO material, although it was really the last half of the manga that cemented it a place in the top 15 of my favorite manga list.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 11, 2013, 07:04:42 PM
There's some old stuff I haven't seen in years that I need refreshers on like Vision Of Escaflowne, El Hazard, and even Tenchi. Like Outlaw Star, I forgot an awful lot that happened in them since I haven't seen them in so long.

Coming from someone who had never watched the series when it was on Toonami, I think Tenchi holds up very well! Well, only the first two OVA series and Universe, but I found both to be entertaining light-fun, and their story-arcs nicely done as well. I think they'd be worth re-watching if you wanted to.  :)

Quote from: Foggle on September 11, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
I really do need to watch Nadesico. I've been putting it off for awhile - mostly because I'd rather just buy it and watch it on DVD. So I need the money for that first.

The complete series set is around $50 bucks, last time I checked. But it comes with the movie, the OVA, and a whole disc of bonus features, so it's well worth the money. Granted, I haven't gotten around to buying it myself, mostly cause I don't have a lot of money to blow on dvds anymore, but I went through the series through the complete series set thanks to my library, so I can guarantee that the visual and audio quality are fantastic, so if you want to buy the series, go right ahead.  :)

Quote from: Foggle on September 11, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
I guess my current top five series would be:
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
3. Gurren Lagann
4. Baccano!
5. Hyouge Mono

Heh, I thought you didn't like Gurren Lagann? What made you change your mind? And Hyouge Mono is yet another anime on my backlog that I really need to get to.  :sweat:

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 11, 2013, 08:12:36 PM
Heh, I thought you didn't like Gurren Lagann? What made you change your mind?
I re-watched it and realized I was being a no-fun fuddy duddy back in 2007. :P In my defense, I was battling extreme depression at the time, and I honestly didn't care for much of anything. TTGL represents everything I love about animation as a medium.

Spark Of Spirit

I still like Nadesico exactly the same as before, and a recent re-watch of Trigun reminded me that I really didn't understand why it wasn't my number 1 in the first place. Same with Cowboy Bebop being that I was burnt out on it back then but I'm not so much anymore. Monster gets in purely because of the story. I could never rank it lower because of how excellent it is even if it doesn't change much of anything from the manga it's still one of the best stories in anime.

Word of the wise to you guys who haven't seen Nadesico yet (and I bet Cartoon X and Lord Dalek will back me up): DO NOT watch the movie. It will not answer any questions you might have and goes nowhere worth going.

Avaitor

Are you gonna try FLCL again next, Foggle?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/