Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I was going to try to list my top 9 favorite animes using that box format (as Dr. Insomniac used). It works better for top 9s anyway. However, I realized that I failed at it. So I'm just going to go back to listing them regularly, with a few things to say about the list.

1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. Romeo x Juliet
3. Monster
4. Ghost Stories
5. Hunter x Hunter
6. Higurashi No Naku Koro ni
7. Death Note
8. Cowboy Bebop
9. Rozen Maiden

I have to admit, I don't love seeing Higurashi on there. This might sound kind of shallow, but what they've done to the Higurashi brand since then has just soiled its name so much, it's kind of retroactively and negatively effected my opinion on the original series. I really shouldn't feel that way, but I do. And at the very least, the things that work about the original anime and Kai still get it a spot on the list.

The top 5 are the ones that I mainly "love". YYH needs no explanation. I hear that Monster is a 100% translation of the original manga, to the point where it makes the anime kind of unnecessary. And maybe that's true. It's just that, being that I've only seen the anime, that's how the story is to me.

Romeo x Juliet... I still don't know what it is, but that series just really clicked for me on an extreme level. Maybe objectively speaking (if that even exists, which I believe it doesn't, but for the sake of discussion I'll say it does), it's not nearly top tier anime material. It's not even necessarily as good as Shakespear's original work. It might just be one of those things where, for me, the wires crossed just right at the right time. When I original saw it, it just fell on the right wavelengths to for me... if that makes sense. Basically, and to try to make sense of it, I was at a point where I was in exactly the perfect mood to watch it, and it was during a time where I had all the time in the world to watch it (I remember it was a Christmas break many years ago (which is already a "magical" time of the year, I might as well add)), which allowed me to marathon through it in the span of a few days. And I was just really sucked into it on an emotional level. I was generally a very love-struck teenager overall, which might've helped with the whole "mood" thing". But overall, if I were to quickly sum up why the show worked for me, it's the general R&J story mixed with the whole atmosphere of the show (it had a really emotional aura to it, with nice animation and beautiful music).

As for Ghost Stories, again, I have to say that it's only on this list because of the dub. It's probably common knowledge by now, but Ghost Stories is a mediocre show that got a dub which essentially revised the script with a tongue-in-cheek comedic tone. It's just hilarious and one of those shows where I have no trouble just watching a random episode at a random time.

The Shadow Gentleman

TheEclecticDude

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 06, 2014, 07:40:26 PM
I have to admit, I don't love seeing Higurashi on there. This might sound kind of shallow, but what they've done to the Higurashi brand since then has just soiled its name so much, it's kind of retroactively and negatively effected my opinion on the original series. I really shouldn't feel that way, but I do. And at the very least, the things that work about the original anime and Kai still get it a spot on the list.
I feel the same way. It's still one of my all time favorites, but MAN Deen loves to retroactively shit on its greatness.

talonmalon333

The Shadow Gentleman's post makes me feel dumb. :thinkin:

But good lists, guys. I need to get back to some anime, as I haven't seen nearly as much as the majority of you guys.

Quote from: Foggle on January 06, 2014, 11:34:48 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 06, 2014, 07:40:26 PM
I feel the same way. It's still one of my all time favorites, but MAN Deen loves to retroactively shit on its greatness.

I will say this though: whenever I bring up and listen to the opening theme of the original anime or Kai, I remember that they were indeed great, before the disasters began. :P

Dr. Insomniac

The Shadow Gentleman

talonmalon333

Well Foggle, apparently they are doing yet another Higurashi series, called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak

:wth:

At this point, that's all I got anymore.

Foggle

The first episode's already out. You can find my thoughts here:

http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=1690

talonmalon333

:whuh:

And just so I'm sure, the original Higurashi anime was indeed good, right? Like, I'm not just viewing it through rose tinted goggles? Did it ever fall victim to any of this lame writing? :whuh:

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

I'm disappointed the new Sgt. Frog anime is only going to be 5 minute-long shorts. Though, if it turns out anything like Haruhi-chan then I can totally get behind that. That said, the character designs look a little off to me, but maybe that's because of the glossy color choices more than anything. I also don't recognize a few characters, but then again there are 15 untranslated volumes of the manga I haven't read and no one's scanned, so I guess that shouldn't be much of a surprise.  :D

LumRanmaYasha

Finally made one of these things....and then it got deleted...but now I've remade it!...sorta. Ah well.

gunswordfist

Big O! Big O-O-O! Big O!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Current List:

15. Monster
14. Dragon Ball
13. Death Note
12. Kill La Kill
11. Black Lagoon
10. Hajime no Ippo
9. Digimon Tamers
8. Cowboy Bebop
7. Hunter X Hunter (1999)
6. Trigun
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
4. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
3. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
2. Ashita no Joe 2
1. Yu Yu Hakusho

In this case, AnJ2 isn't quite as great as the manga in every aspect, but it's still an excellent adaptation with a very different take on the same general story that holds up on its own as one of the greatest pieces of entertainment that I have ever seen. The only thing holding it back from the number 1 spot is the fact that it only adapts part 2 of the manga, and is unrelated to the first anime. It's still fucking amazing in my eyes, though.