Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Favorite characters:
Hunter X Hunter:
5. Hisoka (both versions)
4. Shoot
3. Leorio (1999)
2. Nobunaga (1999 a bit more)
1. Killua (both versions would be #1 but 1999 that much more)

Guyver classic OVAs:
5. Guyver 2
4. Aptom
3. Rehalt Guou
2. Sho/Guyver 1
1. Guyver 3

Fist Of The Northstar:
5. Amiga (sp? Hell, I forget how to pronounce his name)
4. Rei
3. Souther
2. Shin
1. Kenshiro

Yu yu Hakusho:
5. Bui
4. Genkai
3. Toguro
2. Hiei
1. Yusuke

Baki The Grappler:

4. Baki Hanma
3. Doppo Orochi
2. Yujiro Hanma
1. Katsumi Orochi

Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series):

5. Armstrong
4. Ed
3. Roy
2. Scar
1. Greed

Rurouni Kenshin:
4. Aoshi
3. Kenshin
1. Sano
1. Saito

DBZ:
5. Gohan
4. Vegeta
3. Goku
2. Frieza and Cell
1. Future Trunks
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 27, 2014, 03:27:59 PM
Yu yu Hakusho:
5. Bui

You really think Bui is one of the best in the series?

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

I've always found him to be a very bland character, honestly, in terms of characterization, voice, design, even his powers. Karasu was more interesting to me. Sick and demented, but completely aware of his wickedness.

I like armored Bui, though. Doesn't speak but doesn't need to, to get across how dangerous he is. Also, that giant axe is awesome. Armored Bui and no armor Bui seem like completely different characters to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, guys....lately I've had this huge revelation about how craptacular my list really is, and honestly....so are all of your lists, nobody on this board has any goddamn sense of what true art is, and thus I am aiming to change that with this new list of mine, which highlights some real gems of Japanese animation. Without further ado, I present to you the 10 undisputed greatest anime of all time:

10. Genocyber- Brilliance personified.

09. Kiss X Sis- Twincest has never been so artistic.

08. Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto Hen- CLEARLY seeing Kenshin kill Shishio and go against his entire set of principles makes for a darker, and thus more interesting character. Honestly, this anime did Watsuki a favor, by improving on his unrealistically likable characters. Dark art is obviously good art.

07. Devil May Cry- Because DMC2 is EXACTLY the tone that I wanted to see for a DMC anime. The rest of the series is trash, especially DMC3, as any story that doesn't take itself seriously and is just trying to be over-the-top fun is clearly trash only suited for the likes of Michael Bay and his ilk.

06. Sword Art Online- Specifically the second half puts this anime so high on my list. Anyone who complains about incest and characters torturing other characters simply can't handle deep and complex themes.

05. MD Geist- This one speaks for itself....

04. Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection- This is the true king of completely ignoring the point of the original work, and once again that's for the best, because Watsuki just wrote a standard shounen, and shounen by definition is crap.

03. Master of Martial Hearts- That ending is superb, and the rest of the series is breathtakingly beautiful.

02. Ninja Resurrection- Ninja Scroll is overrated tripe. Ninja Resurrection is pure bliss.

And the all-time greatest anime of all time is....

01. Garzey's Wing- I'll just let this scene speak to you about how much of a masterpiece this series is:

http://youtu.be/NWru5o07j_I

Well, I hope you've all learned a thing or two about truly good anime, now.

Foggle

Sugoi list Ensatsu-kun. I hope you will also find mine to be kawaii. XD

10. Winter Garden - Huge improvement over the incredibly boring Di Gi Charat.

9. Ninja Scroll: The Series - Way better than the shitty movie.

8. Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden: Golden Wings - The only good part of LoGH.

7. Lupin VIII - Masterpiece, plain and simple. So much better than shitty Lupin III.

6. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - The only watchable part of this overrated franchise.

5. Kanon (2002) - Way better than the lame remake.

4. Petit Eva: Evangelion@School - A psychological masterpiece.

3. SD Gundam Force - The only good Gundam series.

2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood - A movie good enough to never be released on video because the original creator knew it was better than his manga and couldn't stand for it to be surpassed.

1. Oreimo Season 2 Specials - Truly the defining anime of our generation.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My God, you are the true master of selecting fine art. I only wish that my taste was just a mere tenth as sophisticated as yours, good sir.

LumRanmaYasha

Sugoi lists!  :happytime: i'D join n, but I havenot sen masterpieces nearly as sakuga as the both of yours desu.  :cry:

Except maybe Fairy Tail. That s easily d most well-animated and well-written shounonen series of all time and yous hould be a shame for fogettin abou tit!

Rynnec

You're forgetting classics like:

Valvrave the Liberator - Episode 5 is the single greatest moments in all of anime, and then we have the brilliant writing of episode 10. rape always improves a story and makes it more mature. Speaking of rape improving a story...

Kannazuki no Miko - Once again, writers improve their otherwise mediocre story by adding rape in it. That scene in episode 8 was completely and utterly necessary, and Himeko's reaction to her traumatic experience is completely believable and realistic.

Wizard Barristers Benmashi Council - Episode 11 man. After the terrible animation of the first couple of episodes, episode 11 provides some of the best animation in anime history.

Naruto - Tobi is such a well-written and fantastic villain, and the way Kishimoto consistently contradicts the themes of his own story is pure genius. We have brilliant character arcs like Sasuke (one of the greatest rivals ever), who's actions make complete sense and aren't nonsensicals in the slightest and Sakura's, who's one of the greatest female characters in anime. Itachi Uchiha is one of the greatest manga characters ever created

Bleach - The Heart is one of the saddest moments in anime/manga history. Every plot point in this show is pure brilliance, and all the characters are incredibly likable and necessary. The way Kishimoto shafts the main casts in favor of the incredibly interesting Soul Reapers is great writing 101.

Blue Exorcist - The first couple of episodes made me unsure, but the past few weeks have made me realize that THIS is exactly what I want from a show about the Son of Satan killing Demons. Who needs over-the-top demon slaying action when you can have episodes about cooking and flower gardens instead? And as if the show couldn't get any better, it has a K-pop ED! That is exactly what I want to hear after I learn the main character is Satan's spawn!

BlazBlue Alter Memory - Now THIS is how you do a fighting game adaptation.! Why put effort into the fight scenes when you could put more detail in pointless tranformation sequences and fanservice scenes instead? The way  certain characters get put out of focus and dozens of plot points and character moments from the game are removed is brilliant, who needs proper pacing and plot development anyway? This blows Street Fighter II The Animated Movie out of the water, and I hope a Guilty Gear anime takes cues from this one.

And here's the worst:

Kill la Kill - Disgusting, misogynistic, and sexist. Anyone who likes this show supports rape culture. The fanservice is disgusting, and anyone who ignores it and focuses on the plot and the characters' personalities and motivations is equally disgusting! How DARE people aren't bothered by the same things I am! People should educate themselves and be intelligent and kind like me! 

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 27, 2014, 05:08:19 PM
I've always found him to be a very bland character, honestly, in terms of characterization, voice, design, even his powers. Karasu was more interesting to me. Sick and demented, but completely aware of his wickedness.

I like armored Bui, though. Doesn't speak but doesn't need to, to get across how dangerous he is. Also, that giant axe is awesome. Armored Bui and no armor Bui seem like completely different characters to me.
Does anyone have anything interesting to say about my list.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kill La Kill is shit, but Space Dandy is at least as bad if not worse. But what can you expect from the director of shitty anime such as Cowboy Bebop and Kids on the Slope.

Foggle

I agree that Kill la Kill and Space Dandy are utter trash written by misogynist pigs aimed exclusively at MRAs, which makes me glad that masterpieces such as Free! - which has no fanservice to speak of and writing on par with the finest literature - and Uta no Prince-sama - the most well-written television drama of all time - exist.

Another anime I truly detest is Redline. What a shitty movie. The animation is horrid; Clutch Cargo looked about 500x better over 50 years ago. Seven years hand-drawn? More like seven minutes hand-drawn! LOL!

Rynnec

Another really bad anime is Akira. That movie is so shit. The animation is almost as bad as Fate/Zero, and the opening motorcycle chase is one of the worst sequences in animation history

Quote from: Ensatsu07. Devil May Cry- Because DMC2 is EXACTLY the tone that I wanted to see for a DMC anime. The rest of the series is trash, especially DMC3, as any story that doesn't take itself seriously and is just trying to be over-the-top fun is clearly trash only suited for the likes of Michael Bay and his ilk.

Dante still made way too many quips, and there were too many lighthearted moments. Characters with personality are the worst, and the best stories are ones that take themselves completely and utterly seriously with little to no humour at all. That's why DmC has one of the best stories of any videogame.

LumRanmaYasha

Ooh, Princess Jellyfish is getting a movie next year! Sweet! I hope it'll continue where the tv anime left off (assuming it'll be animated, in the first place).

LumRanmaYasha

A while back we posted what our favorite anime/manga heroes were. Well, today I got the inspiration to make a grid for my favorite villains.

For those of you who don't recognize some of these characters, they are (by row):

Captain Battleship (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)
Friend (20th Century Boys)
Rezo the Red Priest (The Slayers)

Midora (Toriko)
Younger Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Yukishiro Enishi (Rurouni Kenshin)

Millions Knives (Trigun/Trigun Maximum)
Matal Mogamett (Magi)
Shinobu Sensui (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Michio Yuki (MW)
Johan Liebert (Monster)
Griffith (Berserk)

Moryomaru (InuYasha)
Dio Brando (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
Legato Bluesummers (Trigun/Trigun Maximum)

Light Yagami (Death Note)
Meruem (Hunter X Hunter)
Shishio Makoto (Rurouni Kenshin)

"Miwa Rengaya" (Excel Saga)
Vermouth/Sharon Vineyard (Detective Conan)
Kagura (InuYasha)

I tried to edit it down to just 15, but there were too many I didn't want to leave out, so I ended up making a top 21 instead. I was planning to put Bourbon in my list, but since his identity would be a spoiler for anyone who hasn't gotten to a certain point in the manga, I left him out, though he is one of my favorites as well. My favorite villains come in all forms; some are ruthless and cruel, others just manipulative and self-serving, and others still decent people doing wrong for selfish reasons. So, I think there's a lot of variety in these choices myself. While this list isn't in any particular order, much likes my heroes list, every three characters in a row all share a similarity. Once again, I dare someone to guess what those similarities are.  ;)

I actually want to explain some of my choices, but I don't have the time atm. Come summer, though, I might go over my top ten.