Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I plan on finishing My Love Story sometime. I also wanted to watch BBB at the beginning of the year, but decided to wait when I heard the final episode was delayed. And I'll probably read the manga of Prison School instead of finishing the anime.

What other shows were good this year?

gunswordfist

Isn't Lupin on CR?

I, obviously, thought JoJo was great this year. I think that and Ushio are the only anime I really watched that had new episodes in 2015.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I only really kept up with Blood Blockade Battlefront, Ushio & Tora, My Love Story, Haikyu!, Food Wars!, and World Trigger. The last two were lesser adaptions of manga, but they did help me catch up to the manga fast enough that they served their purpose. The first two were easily the best, in my opinion. Mostly I've been watching older series instead of a lot of newer ones this year, but that's because there's just more older stuff available.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also forgot to mention that in terms of movies, I watched DBZRF, which was awesome, IMO. I'm also still waiting on The Boy and the Beast to be released in America.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 20, 2015, 11:53:01 PM
Isn't Lupin on CR?
Not the new one.

Maybe I should also watch Ushio & Tora.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 21, 2015, 12:01:38 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 20, 2015, 11:53:01 PM
Isn't Lupin on CR?
Not the new one.

Maybe I should also watch Ushio & Tora.

I thought that you hate shonen. :>

Spark Of Spirit

If you like old school shonen, then Ushio & Tora should be right up your alley. But if you've had your heart hardened by it over the years because of the Reborns, Bleachs, Beezlebubs, and Narutos, then it may be a harder sell. Personally I find it hard to stomach those sorts of shonen after watching this, it just clearly bests them in every way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I have a list of animated series from all over that I've been planning to watch/rewatch, and BBB is somewhere on there. I can't wait to get to that soon!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nothing against the people who like them, but I feel that the Aughts of 2000 decade, spawning series like Bleach, HSDK,  Beelzebub, Medaka Box, Hitman Reborn, and so on; did more damage to the reputation of battle shonen manga, despite their popularity. Even though the genre is flourishing once again, and there were many classics in the past, a large number of people just assume that the genre is devoid of any sense of good writing or charm based on the numerous uninspired, derivative, formulaic, mediocre series that came out during that era within the genre.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 21, 2015, 12:21:32 AM
Nothing against the people who like them, but I feel that the Aughts of 2000 decade, spawning series like Bleach, HSDK,  Beelzebub, Medaka Box, Hitman Reborn, and so on; did more damage to the reputation of battle shonen manga, despite their popularity. Even though the genre is flourishing once again, and there were many classics in the past, a large number of people just assume that the genre is devoid of any sense of good writing or charm based on the numerous uninspired, derivative, formulaic, mediocre series that came out during that era within the genre.
What is HSDK?

Medaka Box is just the worst. Abysmal in nearly every regard.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 21, 2015, 12:07:54 AM
If you like old school shonen, then Ushio & Tora should be right up your alley. But if you've had your heart hardened by it over the years because of the Reborns, Bleachs, Beezlebubs, and Narutos, then it may be a harder sell. Personally I find it hard to stomach those sorts of shonen after watching this, it just clearly bests them in every way.
I like JoJo's and Fist of the North Star, so I guess I should be good to go then. ;)

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 21, 2015, 12:02:40 AM
I thought that you hate shonen. :>
That was years ago now. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was joking with that post about your distaste of the genre. ;)

HSDK = History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

It's a series that I used to kind of like back when I'd barely watched or read enough other stuff to compare it to, but in reality it was a pretty sub-par series to begin with, and the longer it went on, the more abysmal it got.

Foggle

Ah, okay! My mind drew a blank on that one. I think I remember you talking about it now, though. :thumbup:

LumRanmaYasha

I love My Love Story, myself. It's probably my second favorite romance anime/manga that I've seen, after Maison Ikkoku.

Beyond stuff already mentioned, while I had initially dismissed it as a subpar adaption (and it still certainly isn't the best it could've gotten), the Assassination Classroom anime overall turned out very well and the dub for it was excellent, among the best broadcast dubs FUNi's done yet, second only to BBB. It is definitely my second favorite anime of the year, once again after BBB, though of course I was already a huge fan of the manga. If you really can't get into Seiji Kishi's aesthetic and directing style than that might dampen your enjoyment of the series. Either way, I suggest anyone who tries it to watch it dubbed, since I think the performances there are genuinely better than the originals.

Death Parade was also a very solid and well-done show, which I think just about anyone here might enjoy and should give a shot.

Besides those, it just started, but One-Punch Man is of course an absolute must-watch. Osomatsu-san is also a lot of fun so far, especially if you like Gintama's style of humor but don't want to just jump into the newest season of that series without watching the rest first.

All three anime movies I watched this year, When Marnie Was There, DBZRF, and Boruto, I really enjoyed and had a lot of fun with, though I would only recommend the first to people who don't or can't enjoy the latter two franchises very much.

Oh, and thanks for the comments on my list, guys! My preferences really are a fickle thing.  :sweat:

Foggle

Is AssClass' dub really better than Space Dandy's? I thought that dub was fantastic; way better than the sub.

LumRanmaYasha

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply that! I consider Space Dandy a simuldub, since the dubbed episodes aired simultaneously with the JP airings, not a broadcast dub, which air weeks after the sub version originally airs but while the show is still running. I'd consider Space Dandy's dub on another level than AC's, myself. It's one of the absolute best, imo!