Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Nice list! Though I'm surprised you took YYH off it. Also, I thought you liked HXH 1999 better than 2011?

Foggle

I'm surprised you liked Fate/Zero so much! :o

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't know you liked One Piece that much!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Good list, GSF....except no YYH inevitably makes it wrong. :-\

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 23, 2015, 03:14:25 PM

It's hilarious given how much he used to trash it. :humhumhum:

Though, I always knew that he hadn't really read or watched anything beyond the 4Kids dub back at that time. :D

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 23, 2015, 03:02:20 PM
Nice list! Though I'm surprised you took YYH off it. Also, I thought you liked HXH 1999 better than 2011?
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 23, 2015, 03:47:45 PM
Good list, GSF....except no YYH inevitably makes it wrong. :-\

WHOOPS, I got the list mixed up since I decided to reverse it. It's still 1999>2011. I love both, of course.

Like I told Spark before, certain anime is missing on my list due to not watching it in years. It's been 3 years since I've last seen any of Yu yu Hakusho, not to mention that I missed an episode and a half or so...Ok, the latter doesn't mean much but anyway I just wanted to be consistent and only place shows that I have a fresh memory of. I still love the show and it'll probably be back in my top 5 after a rewatch.
Quote from: Foggle on October 23, 2015, 03:07:42 PM
I'm surprised you liked Fate/Zero so much! :o
It's been on my top 10 before, if not multiple times in this vvery thread. :) It is kind of a placeholder though. Saint Seiya and Bebop are pretty much interchangeable with it. Either way, I did enjoy it. ;D
:sweat: I should have expected that. It is pretty high after some spring cleaning. Toonami 180d my opinion of the series.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 23, 2015, 03:47:45 PM

It's hilarious given how much he used to trash it. :humhumhum:

Though, I always knew that he hadn't really read or watched anything beyond the 4Kids dub back at that time. :D
I haven't read any of One Piece ever. You used to be better at [somehow] knowing exactly how much manga I've read. :sly: Toonami's literally the only place I've seen One Piece in any respectable form.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Small collage I made:

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Very nice. What's the one under YYH? Also, the one to the right of that one..

Spark Of Spirit

Blood Blockade Battlefront and Martian Successor Nadesico.

gunswordfist

Avaitor

If I wanted to fully jump into Lupin, what would be a good watching order?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I'd start with some of the better movies: Castle of Cagliostro, Secret of Mamo, and Episode 0: First Contact. If you like Cagliostro the most, watch the original Green Jacket series (the early episodes feel very different, but Miyazaki takes over about a third of the way through). If you like Mamo the most, watch The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. If you like Episode 0 the most, watch Part 2 (the Red Jacket series). Either way, you should try to watch all three of those series, as well as the new Part 4 (Blue Jacket). Part 3 (Pink Jacket) is skippable, as are most of the movies, though I would also recommend Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone if you like the Fujiko Mine series. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's a video that helps explain why one of my personal favorite moments from Wolf Children is also great from a technical film-making standpoint: https://youtu.be/pdSKot0psNg

I adore Mamoru Hosda, and can't wait for the theatrical release of The Boy and the Beast.

Spark Of Spirit

ANN wrote an article about why KyoAni is so great.

While I disagree fully, I'm not really interested in discussing that article. I'm more interested in what your favorite studios are. Like whether as a whole or just on average of their good stuff. There are a lot of good ones to choose from.

For me, one that is climbing the ranks is MAPPA. Though I don't like everything they've done (two of them I won't bother to watch because I know I'll hate them), their good stuff is really good and some is excellent. Take a look at what they've put out:

Kids on the Slope
Teekyu
Hajime no Ippo: Rising
Terror in Resonance
Garo: The Animation
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
Punch Line
Ushio & Tora

I'm actively look forward to what they're putting out next just because they've had so many good ones so far. You can really tell a lot of Madhouse talent went there.

Dr. Insomniac

ANN's like a Kotaku that specializes in anime, so it'd be natural to fully disagree with them.

As for favored anime studios, I haven't put much thought into that for ages. Haven't had a studio that I really loved in a while. I used to really be into anything Bones made, but then they started waning with No. 6 and that Tempest thing. Loved White Fox's work on Steins;Gate while hated their animation on Akame ga Kill. I do like some of what Mappa does, but not enough to really dig into their work.

Foggle

KyoAni is an excellent studio more in how they treat their staff and projects by comparison to other companies. I'm not a fan of most of their work but the environment they foster is one of the only remotely healthy ones in the industry. Plus, the technical quality of their output is generally fantastic. But yeah, I only like about 10% of their shows.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 03, 2015, 01:03:17 PM
As for favored anime studios, I haven't put much thought into that for ages. Haven't had a studio that I really loved in a while. I used to really be into anything Bones made, but then they started waning with No. 6 and that Tempest thing. Loved White Fox's work on Steins;Gate while hated their animation on Akame ga Kill. I do like some of what Mappa does, but not enough to really dig into their work.
Yeah, I feel the same way. There isn't any particular studio these days that only puts out shows I'm interested in or enjoy. Not that there ever really was, but it seems like companies are very hit and miss in terms of appealing to my tastes as of late. Which is fine, of course, anime is supposed to be for everyone.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Bones. A lot of their recent work is pretty bad, admittedly, but Space Dandy and their output from the previous decade have earned them a lot of clout with me.