Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

They lovingly poke fun at it a lot. I think the Playtonic guys like the game but understand why a lot of people hate it. The GK Rap is going to be amazing.

talonmalon333

It's certainly easier to love something when its your creation. :P

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 02, 2015, 01:21:55 PM
I think the game is pretty widely liked, actually. Of course, much like Conker's Bad Fur Day, I can only assume this is because only a few of its fans have played it within the past 10 years...

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 02, 2015, 07:31:11 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 02, 2015, 01:21:55 PM
I think the game is pretty widely liked, actually. Of course, much like Conker's Bad Fur Day, I can only assume this is because only a few of its fans have played it within the past 10 years...

It was pretty well received upon release, but I've seen a lot of fans turn on it over the years.

gunswordfist

Sounds like a good thread topic.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Looks like they learned from other Kickstarters and avoided bloat by making this the last stretch goal. Smart idea, as everything past the million goal should not really affect development much at all.

I wonder why the Kickstarter ends right before E3. There's gotta be a reason it was timed like that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Giving Grant Kirkhope access to as many xylophones, trumpets and trombones as he wants.

I think my body is ready for this.

Foggle

Remember that Tropical Freeze used a full orchestra... if we could get another soundtrack like that, with added Grant Kirkhope music... :swoon:

Spark Of Spirit

I hope it's not controversial to say that of the two new tracks, I liked David Wise's more.

I liked Grant Kirkhope's tune, but it isn't quite on the level of Spiral Mountain, Click Clock Woods, or Bubblegloop Swamp when it comes to catchy-ness. Not to say it's bad, but it's more of an ambient tune.

If he can deliver tunes like those with a full orchestra? Wow.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

David Wise might be my favorite video game composer after Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota.

gunswordfist

If it's coming from you, it is not controversial, it's expected. ;)
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 04, 2015, 03:38:07 PM
David Wise might be my favorite video game composer after Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota.
Don't recognize the names. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Koji Kondo is the Mario guy. Mahito Yokota is one of the composer's at Nintendo EAD.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 04, 2015, 03:22:35 PM
I hope it's not controversial to say that of the two new tracks, I liked David Wise's more.
I also prefer David Wise's song, but Kirkhope's is more nostalgic and therefore equal in my eyes!

QuoteI liked Grant Kirkhope's tune, but it isn't quite on the level of Spiral Mountain, Click Clock Woods, or Bubblegloop Swamp when it comes to catchy-ness. Not to say it's bad, but it's more of an ambient tune.
I think my top 5 Kirkhope tunes would have to be Treasure Trove Cove, Freezeezy Peak, Rusty Bucket Bay, Mayahem Temple, and Witchyworld. That said, much like Wise, his work is almost always perfect.

gunswordfist

Yuzo Koshiro, Michiru Yamane and David Wise (in that order) are my favorites.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 04, 2015, 04:40:09 PM
I also prefer David Wise's song, but Kirkhope's is more nostalgic and therefore equal in my eyes!

More nostalgic than David Wise?