Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

As of right now, I think I'll make a list of my favorite anime after re-watching some favorites.

1. Trigun
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Blood Blockade Battlefront
5. Kids on the Slope
6. Martian Successor Nadesico
7. Tiger & Bunny
8. Dragon Ball
9. Ushio & Tora
10. Monster

Feels nice to finally be able to make a clear top ten and parse through them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Awesome list! I still need to watch BBB, MSN, and start U&T (and probably re-watch T&B since it's been so long). But, I love everything else on there. Re-watching YYH has also helped to keep it solidified as my favorite shonen anime.

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks! Yeah, it might be early for U&T, but it just keeps ramping up and getting more exciting with each episode. And BBB just ended, but that final episode confirmed everything I suspected from episode one and it makes everything work all the more better for it, even if season 2 (which I'm sure will come around) isn't as good, it can't tarnish this run. Same with T&B.

But I thought over my list a bunch and I'm pretty sure this is close to what I enjoy the most in all anime. I can watch all these series over and over and never tire of them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Whoa, two new shows that are very high. So Triple B is that good? Either one of my streaming services finally picks it up or I'll just go ahead and watch it online.

I've been thinking where I'll rank Ushio & Tora. Not seriously thinking though. lol I'm such a sucker for 90s style anime/shonen and it has the best of that era and it's simple humor makes me easily laugh for some reason. I love it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Great list, Spark.  BBB was an amazing series and Ushio & Tora has been great so far. 
My favorites haven't changed too much since that last time I posted them:
10. Welcome to the NHK
9. Space Dandy
8. Mushi-shi
7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
6. Fate/Zero
5. Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
4. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
3. Slayers Try
2. Maison Ikkoku
1. Yu Yu Hakusho

Since I have very strong feelings for all of these series, I think it will be pretty hard for any other shows to take their places.  The only ones that I expect can breach my top 10 at this point are Ashita no Joe and One Punch Man.

Spark Of Spirit

Good choices, VLord! I'm actually surprised Try is your favorite since I usually hear people say it's their least favorite Slayers series. I personally think it's just fine, though.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 20, 2015, 06:51:38 PM
Whoa, two new shows that are very high. So Triple B is that good? Either one of my streaming services finally picks it up or I'll just go ahead and watch it online.
You can watch the whole subbed series for free on Funi's site here right now if you want. The show is pretty crazy, but it's got a lot of good comedy and action to it. It's a show definitely worth re-watching.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 20, 2015, 06:51:38 PMI've been thinking where I'll rank Ushio & Tora. Not seriously thinking though. lol I'm such a sucker for 90s style anime/shonen and it has the best of that era and it's simple humor makes me easily laugh for some reason. I love it.
I think what strikes me is that because it came out before the big shonen boom it doesn't house a lot of the weaknesses and cliches that shonen became known for. There's no training arcs, there's no endless whining from any of the characters, no character grates on your nerves, and the story builds as it goes without relying on the next powerful opponent to push it along. I'm also a big fan of the fact that it's an actual adventure. You don't see that much in shonen these days. The main characters are going somewhere and they have motivations for getting there. You see new sights and meet new people, and it's just a pleasure to watch.

I know the manga has some slice of life and monster of the week chapters, but those aren't present here which is just as well. While I wouldn't mind reading them, I'm glad the anime focuses only on the main story which sharpens it and makes it move very briskly.

gunswordfist

It is a real adventure and doesn't have any annoyances.  ;D I've been kind of cautious about how much I like the show but it looks like it won't disappoint any time soon.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 20, 2015, 08:23:16 PM
Good choices, VLord! I'm actually surprised Try is your favorite since I usually hear people say it's their least favorite Slayers series. I personally think it's just fine, though.
Thanks, Spark.  TRY seemed to have a large hate base back in the day, but after Revolution and Evolution-R came out, I think a lot of people have revisited the series and gained more respect for it in the process.  While it may not be as high-stakes as NEXT, I feel that makes up for it with its strong cast of characters and story.  I've been interested in watching the anime of Hajime Kanzaka's other series Lost Universe since I've heard it has a lot of connections to TRY.

Foggle

I'm liking the Space Dandy and Fujiko Mine love, VLord. :)

I still really need to watch BBB and Nadesico sometime.

gunswordfist

I missed that. I need to watch more than 1 episode of Fujiko Mine.

LumRanmaYasha

Great lists, Spark and VLord! BBB is easily one of the best anime in recent years, and has cemented itself as a favorite of mine as well. Ushio & Tora is also consistently great fun, and it's been a treat to keep up with it every week. I'm glad it was given a proper adaption after all these years, and was put in the hands of such a skilled director in Nishimura.

Incidentally, it has been about a year since I last posted a favorite anime list, and I had created an updated picture grid last week for my MAL account as it is. So, here's what I'd consider and rank my favorites at this point in time:

1. Ashita no Joe 2
2. Urusei Yatsura
3. Maison Ikkoku
4. Trigun
5. Cowboy Bebop
6. Mushi-shi
7. Revolutionary Girl Utena
8. Space Dandy
9. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
10. Ranma 1/2
11. Lupin the Third (series 1, 2, 2015, & The Woman Called Fujiko Mine)
12. Detective Conan
13. Dragon Ball
14. The Slayers
15. School Rumble
16. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
17. Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
18. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
19. Blood Blockade Battlefront
20. Yu Yu Hakusho

As always with me and favorites lists, stuff goes up and down and in and out depending on what I've watched and re-watched and how recently I've done so. Beyond the top 4 (which themselves are in a different order from last time), this list is significantly different from the last time I posted it, and probably will be so the next time. I feel that my top 4 should at least remain consistent, though the order might lean differently again next time as well, who knows.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another great list, CX. :thumbup:

I go back to AnJ every now and then, and I'm not sure how, but my appreciation and love for this series only grows the more that I read and watch it. It's one of those series that I can still find new things to praise about it on repeated viewings. I really wish that I could actually physically own it on DVD.

I haven't watched any new anime this year (aside from Super), and have barely touched any manga, either, due to being away from home and having limited Internet access and not a lot of spare cash, so I've fallen way behind, and thus my list is no different.

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, your list is way different, CX. A lot of good choices, though. A lot of stuff I personally like a lot as well.

I was more surprised than anyone that the two recent seasons each housed a new favorite anime for me. It's been a while, but they just seemed to all hit at once this year.

Foggle

I think the only anime I've watched more than 2 episodes of this year are Ore Monogatari and Prison School (I watched 3 of each)... :sweat: I was hoping the new Lupin III series would help get me back into anime, but no one's subbing it. :(

Good one, CX. That is way different from last time. I'm glad you have accepted our lord and savior Space Dandy into your heart. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

I enjoyed My Love Story a lot. It was a harmless little shoujo romp, but it was really well done and very pleasant to sit down and watch.

You guys should totally check out BBB when you get the time. I'm pretty sure you'd both like it.