What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I need to finish Samurai Executioner so I can finally start that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I read a little bit of All Star Section 8, and I couldn't help but notice a similarity to another panel.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I tried reading a few chapters of Nisekoi. Romcoms aren't really my cup of tea, so I don't think that I can get into this one based on what I've seen so far.

I've also been reading a short manga called Spirit Circle based on the recommendation of a friend. It's fairly decent so far.

I caught up with the current scans of Yowamushi Pedal, which only goes a bit past the ending of Grande Road, so I'Lloyd really just have to wait for season three to come out to see how the series unfolds from here.

VLordGTZ

I recently caught up with Dark Horse's releases of Blood Blockade Battlefront.  Just like its anime adaption, it was extremely entertaining.  I'm looking forward to reading the 8th volume when it eventually comes out in the US.   ;D

I've also been continuing to read Barefoot Gen, and it is getting even better with each volume.  It'll probably become one of my favorite manga once I am done with it.

Once I'm done with Barefoot Gen, I'm going to focus on finishing Gundam: The Origin and FINALLY start reading Excel Saga and Lupin III.

Pharass

Now, I'm curious Dr. What's the context for the first panel?

As for me, the last comic I read was Nanjing: The Burning City by Ethan Young. It tells the story of two Chinese soldiers trapped in the city of Nanjing during the Japanese occupation of the city.
As one would except from a comic with this theme, The Burning City has its share of bleak and horrifying scenes, but it also features plenty of courage, compassion and genuine heroism. Excellent characterization as well, the lead protagonist and antagonist in particular are both great characters and it was interesting to see them interact with each other.
Highly recommended.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Pharass on January 11, 2016, 05:50:41 AMNow, I'm curious Dr. What's the context for the first panel?

For which manga?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 11, 2016, 09:19:23 AM
Quote from: Pharass on January 11, 2016, 05:50:41 AMNow, I'm curious Dr. What's the context for the first panel?

For which manga?
I think he's talking about the Superman/Johan pic.

Been reading the VizBig edition of Dragon Ball, and I've almost totally forgotten how brisk the pacing is. The story's pacing is just perfect. Few manga manage to be as constantly engaging so fast. For an example of what I mean, the first volume ends right at the beginning of the first tournament. All of the Pilaf stuff and training fit in this one edition. If you weren't a fan before reading it, you surely would be after.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Woops. I forgot about Dr. Insomniac's post. :sweat:

And yeah, re-reading Dragon Ball really cemented how well it works as a manga. I've seen few other shonen series with better pacing than this one.

Pharass

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 11, 2016, 10:29:10 AM

Yeah, I should perhaps have been clearer. My apologies everybody. :sweat:
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Pharass on January 11, 2016, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 11, 2016, 10:29:10 AM

Yeah, I should perhaps have been clearer. My apologies everybody. :sweat:
One of the main characters is going through a rough patch in his life, and imagines Superman handing him whiskey as a sort of encouragement.

Spark Of Spirit

I just read through my old edition of GetBackers Volume 1 thanks to the fighting game thread.

The manga has aged pretty well. The translation's added slang is hilarious but since it meshes with the comedy it is easier to stomach than it normally would be. It really succeeds in the two main characters that bounce off each other very well both in the comedy and in the action. I remembered the similarity in the art and looked it up and sure enough Rando Ayamine was an assistant to Tohru Fujisawa on GTO. I'm surprised I only managed to pick up the first volume because it's a pretty good first volume.

Even though it's out of print, it's pretty cheap online so maybe I'll put a few of them on my wishlist. Apparently volume 25 is a good stopping place so if I ever get that far, at least I'll know where to call it quits.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That makes me want to dig out my old volumes and see if I can get through the series.

gunswordfist

Great, now you're going to get me started on reading this series. :il_hahaha:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it isn't really the type of series being written much these days, so it does have that going for it. I do wish Kodansha would at least put it online or something, though.

Pharass

Finally got around to read the first volume of Fables by Bill Willingham. It was...OK.
Aside from the whole fairy-tale angle, volume 1 is a fairly standard murder-mystery story, something I though the video-game adaptation, The Wolf Among Us did better. Still, a fairly entertaining read and I've heard from reliable sources that the comic improves in volume 2, so I'll check that one out when I get the time.

I also read the first issue of Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker and it was great; easily one of the funniest comics I've read in a long time. For some reason, only issue 1 (out of 3) are available at Comixology, which seems a bit odd, since this is a pretty old comic.
Oh, and I noticed some typos and stuff, but they didn't really impede my enjoyment of the actual content.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.