What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Yesterday I read Avengers Academy Volume 1...ugh, it has pretty much every type of teenager I hate. I almost fell asleep before half way through the book and only the fact that I'm a completion whore compelled me to finish.

Today I read The Immortal Iron Fist Volume 4: The Mortal Iron Fist. Phew, thank God, a good sequel to the first two volumes and at the end the story seems to be going exactly where I wanted volume 3 to go. I also love the fact that Seven...erm Five Immortal Weapons came back. It's like a superhero family where no one is related and no one has the same exact powers as the others..exactly how I like it. Will be checking out Volume 5.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Reading Queen & Country by Greg Rucka. Makes for a fine espionage piece, and fun to see Bryan Lee O'Malley draw realistically.

Spark Of Spirit

Kuroko no Basuke has managed to keep me entertained for such a while. Who knew that after 3 years running it would finally get an anime? It should be interesting to see animated since it relies on so much odd and awkward movement. Should be interesting.

I'm not the biggest fan of sports manga (IMO since Prince Of Tennis, the genre's been a joke) but this one manages to bring back what made them so fun once upon a time. And the manga has no issue with keeping up the pace, which makes it a joy to read. Honestly, I recommend it if you want something fun and a bit more grounded to read.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

Yesterday, the third and first volume of Le Pouvoir des Innocents and Universal War One respectively finally arrived in the mail. My opinion of both is quite favorable: Universal War One has the potential to be a truly great work of science fiction and as for Le Pouvoir... I believe I've already stated my love for that series. English translation, please.

On the manga-front, I've been reading Sanctuary and it's absolutely amazing. The art by Ryoichi Ikegami is great and as for the story? Well, while I did enjoy the Fist of the Northstar manga (although, I've currently put it on hold, it lost something after the death of a certain character) I believe Sanctuary to be Buronson's magnum opus. It really showed me what the man is capable of when it comes to crafting intricate story-lines and memorable characters.

I first read about this manga in the Swedish gaming magazine Super Play some 12-13 years ago and never really gave it much thought until recently. Not sure why I dismissed it back then, probably because I was young and stupid.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Pharass

French Science Fiction series about a military unit consisting of various misfits that find itself involved in the first Universal War.. I believe Marvel has published it in English.

Here's a few samples of the artwork:

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

On Friday night/early Sat. morning (up 'til a little past 1) I read more than 250 of the first pages of Shadowhawk. Then today I finished the other 250 or so. What I got to say about Shadowhawk: DAMN! Shadowhawk (speaking in 3rd person): You are Shadowhawk. DAMN!

Was this supposed to be a Batman ripoff? Scifi? Fantasy? Shadowhawk just jumped all over the place. Now I got to go see what Alan Moore and Matt Groening had to do with this comic book anyway.

gunswordfist

I read Scalped Volume 8 this Saturday- Best line of the century:
Booo, motherfuckers! I've got a gun!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Daxdiv

I just finished reading Avatar: The Last Airbender The Promise Part 1. I did read the leak before but I did make a promise to myself that if I ever saw it in a book store I would buy it. It felt like an episode of the TV show which is good. I was kind of interested in a plot point about how the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom would response to Zuko being the new king and how they would try to restore harmony among the nations. I just hope Zuko doesn't end up being like his dad cause Aang promised Zuko that he would kill him if he became like his father.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 09, 2012, 02:11:26 PM
I just finished reading Avatar: The Last Airbender The Promise Part 1. I did read the leak before but I did make a promise to myself that if I ever saw it in a book store I would buy it. It felt like an episode of the TV show which is good. I was kind of interested in a plot point about how the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom would response to Zuko being the new king and how they would try to restore harmony among the nations. I just hope Zuko doesn't end up being like his dad cause Aang promised Zuko that he would kill him if he became like his father.
Damn, Aang said that?

Daxdiv

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 09, 2012, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on March 09, 2012, 02:11:26 PM
Damn, Aang said that?

Well it was more Zuko telling Aang that he if he ever fell out of line and became like his dad, that it's OK to end him. Aang is struggling with himself when he learned that Zuko was backing out of Harmony Restoration Movement, which was an agreement between the Earth King and Zuko to get the Fire Nation colonies out of the Earth Kingdom and to restore balance to the nations. Zuko did act like a hot head when Aang was trying to figure out what was wrong with Zuko in one of the colonies. Then he went Avatar State when Zuko was pushing Aang since Aang being the kind-hearted kid he is, he wanted a peaceful talk, it was Zuko that was being stubborn. Then Katara had to calm him down since that probably wouldn't have been the best decision.

Remember, since Aang didn't kill Ozai, who was pure evil all the way through, what do you think is going to go through his head if he has to end Zuko, his friend and Fire Bending teacher? Roku told him that it's OK since it was a promise made by Zuko when his mind was clear and that Roku regretted not ending Sozin's life and Roku still regrets that.

gunswordfist

Yesterday I read:
Deadpool Classic Volume 4- YAY! Deadpool's origin revealed. Very nice.

Annihilation Conquest Book 1- Eh, it was ok. Will continue just because I love Marvel's Cosmicverse.

gunswordfist

This weekend I read:
Batman Streets Of Gotham Volume 1: Hush Money- Hush is back! Hush is back! And another Hush story written by Paul Dini who also wrote the HIGHLY recommended Heart Of Hush. It started out strong but it dragged on a little bit at the end. Things will hopefully pick up in the 2nd half though.

Superman Godfall- Confusing story. Art is great though.

Dr. Insomniac

Finally taking a bite into Maus.