What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

This week I've read Crogan's March by Chris Schweizer and Banana Fish vol 4 by Akimi Yoshida.

Crogan's March is a historical adventure comic that takes place in the French colonies of North Africa in 1912 and focuses on Peter Crogan who has almost finished serving his time in the Foreign Legion. This was a great read and the author managed to blend the humorous elements of the story with more serious stuff expertly. I haven't read the previous book in the series, Crogan's Vengeance (which is about pirates) but it's not necessary in order to understand this one, since each book is a stand-alone story focusing on a different member of the Crogan family. Highly recommended.

As for Banana Fish, it continues to be awesome. The pacing in this manga is one of the best I've seen; between the action-scenes and the plot-revelations, there's never a dead moment. Top manga for sure.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Spider-Man Blue has got to be one of the saddest comics I've ever read. My Spidey read history is very low so it's probably my favorite right now. Tim Sale does a good job at drawing old-school Spider-Man art but his Green Goblin sucks.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

This weekend I read:
Batman Streets Of Gotham V. 2- Bleh, I guess I shouldn't have expected Hush to come back after he got owned in the last issue.

Dynamo 5 Volume 1 Post Nuclear Family- Now this superhero team book, I love. That's is the kind of book I've been looking for. Great premise, none of the superheroes are annoying and I laughed out loud a bit during reading it.

Dr. Insomniac

Oi, I'm looking for somebody who knows his Jack Kirby, because I'm thinking about buying those Fourth World omnibuses and wondering how good they are.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 13, 2012, 05:43:37 PM
Oi, I'm looking for somebody who knows his Jack Kirby, because I'm thinking about buying those Fourth World omnibuses and wondering how good they are.
New Gods is the fucking shiznight. I haven't read anything else from that collection though.

Avaitor

I've been reading mostly prose for a while, so I felt that I'd take some time to read and reread some comics so I don't neglect the format so much. I pulled out some of my favorite X-Men stories earlier today, and I'm going through The Killing Joke now. Next I plan on rereading Kraven's Last Hunt.

I also plan to buy this sweet-looking Hawkeye hardcover that contains the first miniseries and other key issues when I score some more money in anticipation for Avengers.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I've been meaning to read that and Kraven's First Hunt and Grim Hunt.

Today I:

Finished Grendel War Child- Vampires, zombies, pirates, oh may! The kind of comic book I've been looking for.

Batman Beyond Hush Beyond: I believe this is the last Hush book out there. Catwoman Beyond, Terry meeting Dick Grayson, Cadmus, at least one of Terry's villain being murdered and them clearing stating that this is after The Return of The Joker are all in this book. Not as quite as good as it sounds but it's worth the read.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm reading Slam Dunk.

Manga of the '90s seemed more focused on the outsiders, the underdogs, the weird, and the troubled compared to now when most characters are boring straight man characters. That said, this is probably the best sports manga there is. It easily avoids every trope the genre is known for, manages to have a great sense of humor and drama, and still manages to through out the curve-balls.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its yet another one of those old-school series that I need to get around to someday. Speaking of old-school manga, I still need to finish Flame of Recca one of these days.

Also, seeing as how I pretty much hold you to be AR's resident expert on all things old-school shonen manga, do you have any particular recommendations on good series that I may not have read? It can be anything really, sports, action, comedy, drama, just so long as its something that would interest me. And before you say BECK, I plan to try both the manga and the anime at some point this summer, so I mean something besides that. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I'm not so much of an "expert" as I look into what I like which are usually character-based stories and adventure-style pieces. Mostly about the journey and those in it, which the 90s had a lot of when it comes to Japan.  ;)

I'll throw out a few that I myself still need to read, but have been given the recommendations from people I trust:

Violinist Of Hamelin - This has a weird history. It varies between a dark serious piece and off the wall comedy depending on what version you're reading or watching, but it is easily one of Japan's most popular pieces.

Tokyo Crazy Paradise - This is technically a shoujo even though it has a lot of fighting, but I read a bunch of it (before I lost my place) and it was a fun read.

Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind - Natch, but it has a much longer story than the Ghibli film.

Please Save My Earth! - I've recommended this before, but I think everyone here would like this. this is a Shoujo, but it is actually a very good character piece with a lot of good twists and turns. Again, just because it's "Shoujo" doesn't mean it's all pretty boys and boxed lunches.

Master Keaton - Though he was just the artist, this is really where it feels like Urasawa got his chops from.

Dominion Tank Police - Honestly, I like this the best of Masamune Shirow's work as it is the most straightforward and has the best characters.

Akira - I'm just throwing this in because it's Akira. The anime is completely different to this.

Fushigi Yugi - Is probably the most well known manga that I know nothing about. It's on my list.

I will say to avoid both Happy! and Yawara! despite both being done by Naoki Urasawa are both pretty identical, and Happy! is absolutely infuriating to read due to insane (and I mean CRAZY) amounts of character beat down while Yawara! is pretty typical.

You know pretty much everything else, (or wouldn't be interested in stuff like Greenwood or Maison Ikkoku) but I think you would enjoy most of that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

You should also read Sakigake!! Otokojuku. The first chapters are absolutely hilarious and the later ones are awesome as hell.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! :thumbup:

That gives me a lot of options to choose from over the summer. I think I may go for Dominion Tank Police if I get a chance, since its one of the more popular of the "unpopular" anime (not necessarily obscure, but far off from mainstream among anime fans as well), but whenever I have heard anything about it I've only heard positive opinions so far.

gunswordfist

Hmm, apparently there is one more Hush story I need to read. I'll get House Of Hush asap. And Flashpoint for his small part in the comic. And finally download that long ass update for DC Universe Online because he' s in that game. And get Arkham City because he's voiced by  Kevin Conroy in that  game.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 17, 2012, 09:34:31 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! :thumbup:

That gives me a lot of options to choose from over the summer. I think I may go for Dominion Tank Police if I get a chance, since its one of the more popular of the "unpopular" anime (not necessarily obscure, but far off from mainstream among anime fans as well), but whenever I have heard anything about it I've only heard positive opinions so far.
I LOVE New Dominion Tank Police. I don't know anything about the series that may or may not be before the OVA though.

Avaitor

Got a chance to read some of All-Star Superman today.

It's a shame that McDuffie's take on it (RIP) wasn't too solid. It still contains the admiration for silver age comics that make these so great, but I don't think it should have been adapted. The comics are too linear, and are meant to be that way.

It was a nice try, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

ASS is the greatest Superman story period.

Saturday I:

Finished Deadpool Classic volume 5-

I loved so much during this comic.

Batman Broken City- The writer/artist (Brian Azzarello/Eduardo Risso) from my favorite comic book series, 100 Bullets, does Batman. Me likey.

Wolverine Logan- Eduardo Risso again does art for one of my favorite character's books. Interesting seeing Wolverine look like Lono. Also, Brian Vaughn is the writer for Logan. Nice little book.