What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I'll put up a short list of my own for comparison.

1.   The Sandman
2.   Planetary
3.   Transmetropolitan
4.   Nextwave
5.   Ex Machina
6.   Watchmen
7.   Swamp Thing (Alan Moore run)
8.   Gotham Central
9.   Secret Six
10.   Y The Last Man

Avaitor

I dunno what my own favorite list would consist of, besides Scott Pilgrim being #1.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Go for it. I'd love a list of the top 25 best Marvel comics to read for reference. :thumbup:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2012, 11:57:34 PM
Go for it. I'd love a list of the top 25 best Marvel comics to read for reference. :thumbup:
And if you need a reference fast, I could help.

Iron Man: Extremis - A very decompressed story about Iron Man getting back to his roots. It's gonna one of the stories used for Iron Man 3, so it might be helpful to read it.
Astonishing X-Men (Whedon run) - This was the first X-Men I remember reading, actually. While it does expect you to know about some crap that happened in previous runs, it doesn't detract from the characterization. Kitty Pryde is at her top here.
Invincible Iron Man - Doesn't require to know about anything Iron Man related outside of the first movie. In fact, it kind of serves as a thematic sequel to the first movie, with Tony Stark having to face the remnants of Iron Monger's wrath.
Captain America: Winter Soldier - A gritty introduction to the Man out of Time. Though it's main twist has long been spoiled, it still serves as a good opener to the Cap mythos.
Runaways (Vaughan run) - This is something you should look for if you want witty dialogue combined with deep character writing. Plus, trades are 7.99 a pop, so it's the cheapest of the lot.
Punisher MAX (Ennis run) - I don't understand how Punisher hasn't gotten a good movie yet, when there's superb source material to adapt from here. Dark enough to make the most hardened comic readers squirm, the series shows how brutal it can really be for those facing the Punisher's trigger.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 12, 2012, 12:19:45 AMAstonishing X-Men (Whedon run) - This was the first X-Men I remember reading, actually. While it does expect you to know about some crap that happened in previous runs, it doesn't detract from the characterization. Kitty Pryde is at her top here.
Really? I'm not a big comic reader, but when it comes to X-Men, it's usually Claremont's stuff that's most remembered. I saw the vid-comic on Netflix of this run you mention here, but it was merely fine. Pretty standard X-Men, really.

Another one I would recommend is Exiles because unlike most comics, it's pretty unpredictable. Until Whedon took over, and it became a Psylocke comic, killed the best characters, then it outright died.

And be sure to read Runaways up until the original team leaves. That's a series that never had the potential to be ongoing, and it was better for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteReally? I'm not a big comic reader, but when it comes to X-Men, it's usually Claremont's stuff that's most remembered.
Yeah, my dealings with comics only range from at least 4 years ago, and the most recommended X-Men comic I heard of was Whedon's. And being a huge Buffy fan at the time, I just latched on.

Though I got some Claremont comics from the library. Will probably read those soon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 12, 2012, 12:19:45 AM
Iron Man: Extremis - A very decompressed story about Iron Man getting back to his roots. It's gonna one of the stories used for Iron Man 3, so it might be helpful to read it.

Yeah, I heard that Iron Man 3 would be based off of that, so I may hit that up if I manage to come across it sometime this summer.

QuoteAstonishing X-Men (Whedon run) - This was the first X-Men I remember reading, actually. While it does expect you to know about some crap that happened in previous runs, it doesn't detract from the characterization. Kitty Pryde is at her top here.

How much crap are we talking about? I mean, I know the most popular characters and I am aware of some basic plot-lines, but I am still a newbie to the comics, so would I really be able to understand the story in Whedon's run? If so, I may check it out since I've heard good things about Astonishing X-Men.

QuoteInvincible Iron Man - Doesn't require to know about anything Iron Man related outside of the first movie. In fact, it kind of serves as a thematic sequel to the first movie, with Tony Stark having to face the remnants of Iron Monger's wrath.

That sounds like the perfect type of comic for me, especially since I liked Iron Man the best in the first movie, so I may check that out as well.

QuoteCaptain America: Winter Soldier - A gritty introduction to the Man out of Time. Though it's main twist has long been spoiled, it still serves as a good opener to the Cap mythos.

Yeah, Captain America has proven to be my favorite Avenger in both the EMH and the movies, so this may be my top priority to check out.

QuoteRunaways (Vaughan run) - This is something you should look for if you want witty dialogue combined with deep character writing. Plus, trades are 7.99 a pop, so it's the cheapest of the lot.
Punisher MAX (Ennis run) - I don't understand how Punisher hasn't gotten a good movie yet, when there's superb source material to adapt from here. Dark enough to make the most hardened comic readers squirm, the series shows how brutal it can really be for those facing the Punisher's trigger.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for these as well.

Avaitor

I honestly have never read a Punisher story that I've liked, but at the same time, I have yet to read any of Ennis' stuff. I have a small list of TPBs to look for, so I should keep an extra eye out for them.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteHow much crap are we talking about? I mean, I know the most popular characters and I am aware of some basic plot-lines, but I am still a newbie to the comics, so would I really be able to understand the story in Whedon's run? If so, I may check it out since I've heard good things about Astonishing X-Men.
Just something about how the mutant colony of Genosha got massacred by Professor X's twin sister. Other than that, you'll be fine.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hmmmm.....I might wanna Wiki whatever that story you're referring to is just so that I'm familiar with the back-story.

Foggle

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 12, 2012, 12:54:33 AM
I honestly have never read a Punisher story that I've liked, but at the same time, I have yet to read any of Ennis' stuff. I have a small list of TPBs to look for, so I should keep an extra eye out for them.
What I've read of Punisher MAX was really good.

gunswordfist

I finished Infinite Kung fu today. I was geeking out  during the Gordon Liu intro. I loved the Shaw Brothers studio sighting and the Ong-Bak ending. Also, obvious 5 venom references.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 12, 2012, 12:19:45 AM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2012, 11:57:34 PM
And if you need a reference fast, I could help.

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon run) - This was the first X-Men I remember reading, actually. While it does expect you to know about some crap that happened in previous runs, it doesn't detract from the characterization. Kitty Pryde is at her top here.
Invincible Iron Man - Doesn't require to know about anything Iron Man related outside of the first movie. In fact, it kind of serves as a thematic sequel to the first movie, with Tony Stark having to face the remnants of Iron Monger's wrath.
Captain America: Winter Soldier - A gritty introduction to the Man out of Time. Though it's main twist has long been spoiled, it still serves as a good opener to the Cap mythos.
Runaways (Vaughan run) - This is something you should look for if you want witty dialogue combined with deep character writing. Plus, trades are 7.99 a pop, so it's the cheapest of the lot.
Oh whoa, I got Extremis this week and I've read all of those except Captain America.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My local library has the first few volumes of The Walking Dead, so I can actually start reading that series. I only read the first issue today since I got a call from my dad to run some errands for him, so I didn't really get much time to read. I'll go back tomorrow, though, and try and plow through a few volumes of the comic. I did read the first issue, though.

gunswordfist

If you watched any of the show, you'll appreciate the comic 10X more due to it actually being good, especially when you compare the end of volume 1.