What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Been reading more Judge Dredd with The Cursed Earth and The Day The Law Died. And with that along with Halo Jones, I've become more and more entrenched with 2000AD comics to read. I've heard really good things about Nemesis the Warlock, Nikolai Dante, and Rogue Trooper. Lately, I've found more of a craving for sci-fi (sans superheroes) comics and the progs have managed to satiate that feeling quite well.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 16, 2012, 06:45:09 PM
Good lord this sounds amazing.
*snickers at Professor X's flaming wheelchair* So much Deadpool I gotta read and looks like this will make the list.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 18, 2012, 12:03:32 AM
I finished reading volume 3 of The Walking Dead. Damn....Shit got intense. I mean, holy crap was their a huge body count in that volume alone. The good thing is that it doesn't feel forced just for gore but rather seems to be handled by genuinely good writing, IMO. I also just wanted to mention that this is miles better than the manga High School of the Dead, which I attempted reading about a year ago. Unlike that series, this one actually has characters that get development and that you care about and you actually do know that characters can easily die, whereas in HSOTD anyone with boobs will live, and save for the main character, any male character is immediately dead. Yeah, this series easily trumps that piece of shit.

Anyways, the one bad thing about it being so intense is that its not something I can marathon. I'm going to have to take a break from this series because quite frankly it gets to be a bit too much for me at times. So far its definitely good, though.
What's the basic gist of Volume 3 again? It's been so long.

Angus

Heh, I guess the chests in HSOTD doesn't count as development. .3.
Volume 3 starts at the prison.
I should have picked up the offer to get that other library card to get back into The Walking Dead series. Oh well.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Quote from: Angus on May 18, 2012, 12:13:17 PM
Heh, I guess the chests in HSOTD doesn't count as development. .3.
Volume 3 starts at the prison.
I should have picked up the offer to get that other library card to get back into The Walking Dead series. Oh well.
Oh shit, my favorite arc. Or zombie storyline period. Michonne has already been introduced at that point right? This all reminds me how much faster paced the comic books are.

gunswordfist

Today I:

Finished:

The Amazing Spider-Man Happy - What a waste of a great concept. They wasted too much time on some stupid Doctor Strange/Dormarru or whaever his name is plot and little time going through Spider-Man's greatest (or worst, tragic wise) adventures. I wish they showed Peter blowing out his birthday candles and being thrown into the past to relive his greatest stories without much of an explanation like I imagined. UGH!!!!

Started and finished:

Green Arrow Year One: Itsalright. The first GA comic I've ever read and I'm going by a chronological list a site made and next would be:

Green Lantern Green Arrow- My my! Am I impressed! The dialogue is barely outdated, one of my first eye openers, and I love how Green Lantern morally is tested and question in the since that he's basically a beat cop that listens to whatever "The Man" tells him to do, or something like that. :sly:

Dr. Insomniac

So I've started my Claremont binge with God Loves Man Kills and Proteus. Even with Avaitor's praise, I was still surprised by how good the former was. It's striking, to say the least. I mean, if it weren't a superhero comic book, it'd probably be the kind of thing they'd teach in schools.

Though I have to admit, I'm starting to see some flaws in Claremont's writing. Like, how he seems to tell instead of show. Honestly, his comics are some of the most wordy that I've read. For example, there are several instances per issue where he narrates things that don't need narration. And the thought bubbles. I remember reading in a V For Vendetta interview how Alan didn't put in thought bubbles because he wanted the readers to think for their own on what the characters' motivations are doing. And I'm starting to see why he did that after reading these books.

Now that's not to say that Claremont's a bad writer. He's extremely good at what he does. However, his style just hasn't aged well, as can be seen with how X-Men Forever isn't as big of a hit as everyone thought it would've been.

Spark Of Spirit

In Naruto someone just pulled a Kurama Vs. Elder Toguro. You know, while that was clever back then, such a technique is kind of lazy now.

And no, I'm not really keeping up with Naruto. I just read it every now and then when bored.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still read the manga out of sheer habit even though I find it incredibly boring to this day (its actually the first manga I ever started reading aside from a little bit of Death Note, which is why I still follow it). I saw that fight and the way in which the technique was executed was extremely predictable and lazy. In the Kurama fight it came as a surprise since we didn't know what he was entirely capable of. In this fight it was done by a character who specializes in illusions and mind-trickery, so there's nothing special or surprising about him pulling a technique like that off. Also, the fights in Naruto are just boring in general. The action scenes are drawn so sloppy and hard to follow, and the actual strategies are boring and feel pointless because every character feels like they have at least a billion techniques/powers/abilities that they can rely on and throw out for convenience sake rather than having a few specialties and skills that they have to find unique and creative ways to utilize.

The story itself is also pretty lame right now. The whole circumstances for this "war" seem so ridiculous and forced. I honestly have no idea why people are actually praising this series. It hasn't really evolved at all. Its just gotten more ridiculous with time, IMO.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2012, 12:28:08 PM
In Naruto someone just pulled a Kurama Vs. Elder Toguro. You know, while that was clever back then, such a technique is kind of lazy now.

And no, I'm not really keeping up with Naruto. I just read it every now and then when bored.
Oh, I was sitting here thinking, "When did Kurama and Toguro fight?" "Is he saying what it would be like if they actually fought?""Did this happen in the manga?" Then I remembered who Elder Toguro was. :lol: ET is probably still stuck in that cave.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 23, 2012, 01:02:06 PM
I still read the manga out of sheer habit even though I find it incredibly boring to this day (its actually the first manga I ever started reading aside from a little bit of Death Note, which is why I still follow it). I saw that fight and the way in which the technique was executed was extremely predictable and lazy. In the Kurama fight it came as a surprise since we didn't know what he was entirely capable of. In this fight it was done by a character who specializes in illusions and mind-trickery, so there's nothing special or surprising about him pulling a technique like that off. Also, the fights in Naruto are just boring in general. The action scenes are drawn so sloppy and hard to follow, and the actual strategies are boring and feel pointless because every character feels like they have at least a billion techniques/powers/abilities that they can rely on and throw out for convenience sake rather than having a few specialties and skills that they have to find unique and creative ways to utilize.

The story itself is also pretty lame right now. The whole circumstances for this "war" seem so ridiculous and forced. I honestly have no idea why people are actually praising this series. It hasn't really evolved at all. Its just gotten more ridiculous with time, IMO.

tbh, I like the way the fights are done in the Ultimate Ninja Storm QTE-sequences are superior to the source material. Take this fight for instance. That fight had horrid pacing in the anime, but here, it condenses a fight that took like half-a-dozen chapters/episodes to 3-minutes while still capturing the over-the-topness of the battle, while simultaneously upping the intensity of it. That's what the fights in most shounen should be like.

I don't care much for Naruto right now either (I haven't even read a chapter in ages), I guess what's happening is pretty interesting, but I dunno, I'll just stick with the UNS games for now. Really, the only reasons I pay attention to Naruto and Bleach nowadays are out of habit. And in Bleach's case, there's a chance that one of my favorite characters will pop up again after so many years of absence (and he never even got a proper resolution), I know his presence alone won't make the manga's quality any better, but he's one of the few characters who was legitimately fun to watch.

Speaking of Kurama, I found it pretty amusing that that's also the name of the 9-tailed beast inside Naruto.  :D

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

On Saturday I:

Finished: Green Lantern/Green Arrow Volume 3- The finale volume of the series seeing as it was canceled. It had the famous drug issues featuring Speedy being addicted to heroin and John Stewart's first appearance (that was a pleasant surprise) strange enough, this volume had a lot more outdated dialogue than the first and the ending was weak, seeing as it was canceled. So we didn't get to see the "unhappy ending" that I believe was hinted in the first issue of the series and I wonder if Green Arrow ever ran for mayor.