What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Because of all the people DC needs to appeal to, hardware aficionados are totally at the top of the list.

gunswordfist

Over the last two weekends I read Deadpool Operation Annihilation and Batman: The Black Mirror. Meh for both. The Deadpool comic was the first Deadpool comic I didn't like. Specifically, the first half where all his friends go after him. It was so lame and forced. The story where he goes The Hulk again was funny though.

Batman The Black Mirror had the same tone as Dini's not too long ago run, Grayson's Batman and some new villains that are important to Gotham's underground are explored, and just like Dini's, Snyder's story was underwhelming too. I didn't care for any of those new villains and The Joker that was used in the book was horrible. He was just like every other comic book psycho that can't talk straight. I of course love Snyder's writing thanks to American Vampire (and Dini with Heart Of Hush, among many other things) but here it's just forgettable, overrated stories.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

The last two comics I read were Tramp vol. 8 by Kraehn and Jusseaume and Alim le Tanneur vol. 2 by Lupano and Augustin

The eight volume of Tramp continues the third story-arc of the series which takes place during the First Indochina War. This book consists mainly of flashback, featuring the main character's father, who turn out to be quite a fascinating character in his own right.

As for the second volume of Alim, it ramps up the danger posed to the protagonists considerably. Having discovered something that could topple the very belief system that their nation is built on, they're currently on the run, having escaped to what amounts to what is basically a thinly veiled version of Thibet. However, they're pursued by Torq Djihid, a truly bloodthirsty fanatic if there ever was one.

Both Tramp and Alim le Tanneur are among my favorite comics to date. They both feature excellent artwork and storytelling. Needless to say, they're two comics I wish would be translated to english. 

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Nel_Annette

I was just at Barnes And Noble, picking up book 2 of Avatar: The Promise... and I saw the hardcover, color edition of Scott Pilgrim's first book. So much want! But it was $25, and alas, I am a poor man.  :frown:

Commode

How do those look?  I'd heard about them, but I wasn't sure if it was worth double dipping just to have them in color, especially since the black and white is part of the charm(it'd kind of be like if they rereleased Clerks in color).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

It looks good. And it's big. Like, way bigger than the original graphic novels, it's almost the size of a coffee table book.

gunswordfist

Wait, Scott Pilgrim comes in color?

Commode

Yeah, they are reissuing the books in color.  I think only the first one is out right now.

Yeah, the color version of Scott Pilgrim Vs The World comes out next month.

gunswordfist

Ah sweet. An excuse to reread the books. Maybe I can see what the hell color Ramona's hair was now.

Commode

Just know that the rereleases aren't due to be finished until 2014, they are only releasing two volumes a year.  Don't ask me why.

Daxdiv

When I went to see Frankenweenie I decided to stop at Barnes and Noble and decided to buy Avatar The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 3. It did give a reason as to how the Air Acolytes came to be in Korra. Aang wanted to preserve his culture, but at the same time he didn't want it to belong to history and since he has a fanbase that was pretty dedicated to the ways of the Air Nomads. That and Aang decided to cut his ties to Avatar Roku due to how different the world was compared to what he went through and how Roku's views are very different than the views Aang has.

Through out this, I guess you can see that the colony of Yu Dao might become Republic City. Also, it set up the next set of books they plan to make, where we finally search for Zuko's mom.

Though out the The Promise, I enjoyed Part 2 more, if only for the parts where we saw Toph's school and teaching kids to metal bend and beat up a Fire bending teacher and his students.

gunswordfist

So the Avatar books are actually good?

I read Rurouni Kenshin volume 2 yesterday. It had the story of my 2nd favorite RK episode, the one where Kenshin fights Jin-e. Specifically the last fight, which was the very first episode I saw of the show and that made me a fan after being very skeptical of the show I've never heard of at the time. I didn't know/forgot that Jin-e was in the Shinsengumi, I forgot/didn't know he committed suicide and I was always confused at whether he had his arm chopped off or whatever since I remember the tv series editing for that part being pretty bad.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, Toonami specifically cut out the part where he stabs himself so its easy to miss that he commits suicide if you watched it back on Cartoon Network.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 14, 2012, 10:29:39 AM
So the Avatar books are actually good?

Yeah. I just finished Part 2 of The Promise and this really does feel like you're reading an episode out. All the humor and action is still there, so the guy writing it is doing a pretty good job, I think.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the guy writing is actually an award-winning author, and I really enjoyed some of his original work.