What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Yeah after reading all 3 parts of this, I am interested in reading Gene Luen Kuei's Eisner Award Winning story just to see what this guys does with his original work.

Though if you haven't picked up this mini-series, I think an Omnibus is coming out in March 2013. I will admit that I only bought Part 3 due to the fact that I feel like I needed to complete the set and I felt buying and waiting for the omnibus after buying parts 1 and 2 felt stupid in a way. I mean according to Amazon, it's not coming out until March. I wasn't going to wait that long when I only had 1 volume left to complete it.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Comeau on October 12, 2012, 11:27:56 PM
Just know that the rereleases aren't due to be finished until 2014, they are only releasing two volumes a year.  Don't ask me why.
THE WHAT FUCKING WHAT????!!!!! ??????????????????????????????:shit:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 14, 2012, 11:49:42 AM
Well, Toonami specifically cut out the part where he stabs himself so its easy to miss that he commits suicide if you watched it back on Cartoon Network.
I did. Then I watched it on DVD uncut, last year I believe. At least I think I watched it on DVD...or maybe I watched it edited and didn't realize it. IDK, my memory SUCKS.
Quote from: Nel on October 14, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 14, 2012, 10:29:39 AM
So the Avatar books are actually good?

Yeah. I just finished Part 2 of The Promise and this really does feel like you're reading an episode out. All the humor and action is still there, so the guy writing it is doing a pretty good job, I think.
A-mazing. I will go ahead and not read any of those comics until Korra is done being the Avatar because I like being surprised by what happened with the characters and whatnot during the show.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

You're not going to be spoiled by the books when it comes to Korra. If anything, watching Korra has already spoiled what happens in the books.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 15, 2012, 10:35:32 AM
You're not going to be spoiled by the books when it comes to Korra. If anything, watching Korra has already spoiled what happens in the books.

Yep, listen to this man. It's pretty much due to Korra that the events in the book have become forgone conclusions in the first place and I'm pretty sure that will stay true with the new mini-series The Search, still won't stop me from reading that. In fact you know how Korra was supposed to premiere later than expected? Well this book was supposed to fill that gap between them and Korra's premiere was supposed to happen sometime after Volume 3 was released. I say if you watch Korra and haven't read the comics, there's nothing that that will be spoiled in the comics because you watch Korra.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 15, 2012, 10:35:32 AM
I meant the reverse. I want to see what's realized in the books...actually I more specifically want to see what happened with all the characters and everything else by watching the show. I like doing it that way. I still don't know what's up with Zuko or if he's still alive. I want to experience reveals like that through the show. I'm sure I'll enjoy the comics either way but the show is the first place I want to learn things like that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Mr. Big

Did you know that there's a "Garfield" comic book? Yeah, it started back in May.

I bought one issue, and it's on par with the "Garfield and Friends" TV series. See my review (and some sample pages) here

Pharass

Got the first fRex Mundi Omnibus in the mail today and am currently making my way through it. So far, I'm quite impressed with this comic and a huge reason for that that is the world it's set in. Writer Arvid Nelson has created an alternative version of Europe in the 1930's; a Europe that's still in the grip of feudalism, where magic is real and where the holy inquisition is still around. In addition, I also got quite strong noir- vibe from the story, with it's down on his luck protagonist, corrupt lawmen and at least one beautiful and mysterious woman. Definitely a comic worth checking out.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

J Michael Straczynski has spurned my wrath and mockery.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on October 31, 2012, 06:39:36 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 31, 2012, 06:34:54 PM
J Michael Straczynski has spurned my wrath and mockery.
What now?
Superman sleeps with a hooker, and his penis apparently teaches her the error of her ways. Then, he throws her pimp into the Arctic.

Avaitor

"What're you doing here?"
"I killed a hooker. She made a crack about me being faster than a speeding bullet, so I ripped her in half like a phone book."
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Now, you are officially a better Superman writer than JMS.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 31, 2012, 06:44:53 PM
Now, you are officially a better Superman writer than JMS.
You mean Seth MacFarlane is a better Superman writer!

Or whoever wrote that episode. I don't even recall which one that's from.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Whatever. Anyone is a better Superman writer than JMS now. Even John Byrne.

Avaitor

I thought Supes was still walking the Earth, Kane from Kung-Fu style, under JMS' writing.

New blog!