What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I think they showed not too long after that that the story could still go on after something like that. Kenshin.still doesn't know what really happened at the point I'm at.

And the whole Genkai died and came back thing didn't feel like a copout until I went back and watched the entire arc, which is of course weird since I saw Chapter Black before the DT episodes I missed.

Oh and I completely believed the RK character was dead for at least a little bit since they had a funeral and everything. I'll give them credit for that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

That was a good one! In this issue, the team, which consisted of Hawkeye, the Vision and Black Panther get a surprise visit from Doctor Strange in request to help him tackle a pair of fire and ice creatures. The Black Knight, who wasn't a member just yet, comes over and teams up with them. It leads to a good fight, and I swear that there was some Lovecraftian influence.

Even more interesting to me though, was the letters page. This came out just a couple of months after the Vision's first appearance and his joining of the team, and the letters almost entirely involved those stories, just complimenting these great issues. And then there's one girl who asked about the Wasp's fashion sense, just cause.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I really need to get into classic stories. I have to get that Thor comic again and actually read it. Apparently Justice League Unlimited had a story that was based on an old tale that the comic about Odin being cruel with Jane and Thor is also based on.

I read Criminal volume 4 and 5. V. 4 was crazy and v 5 brought back my favorite character.

The Shadow Gentleman

So I recently discovered there actually is a comic store very close to me, so I'm going to check that out. Any idea what I should look out for?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Graywulf on April 18, 2013, 02:07:37 PM
So I recently discovered there actually is a comic store very close to me, so I'm going to check that out. Any idea what I should look out for?
If there's a prose author you like who writes comics, go for them.

Avaitor

Unless you like Orson Scott Card. His comics do not stack up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 18, 2013, 03:45:46 PM
Yes. Favorite prose author. I totally have one of those...

Spark Of Spirit

Anything that doesn't have the name Miller or Ennis attached.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Graywulf on April 18, 2013, 04:29:00 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 18, 2013, 03:45:46 PM
Yes. Favorite prose author. I totally have one of those...
Hawkeye, Saga, Fatale, Batgirl.

Also, what does Desen have against Ennis?

Spark Of Spirit

Nothing really, I think I was thinking of someone else. I haven't kept up with comics in a while so my names are all messed up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Frank Miller is great and I'll assume you were really joking about Ennis and aren't actually that dumb.

A week or maybe more ago I read:

Criminal v. 6: Sean Phillips having a clever use of a different type of art style spliced into one of these stories rears its head again. Criminal goes in a bit of a different direction and I loved it.

Rurouni Kenshin v. 26: Man was that Sano story drawn out. Good to see the final conflict start though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 18, 2013, 07:51:20 PM
Rurouni Kenshin v. 26: Man was that Sano story drawn out. Good to see the final conflict start though.

I actually really liked that story. But, that may just be because Sano's my favorite RK character (well, tied with Saito, anyways).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 18, 2013, 09:10:16 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 18, 2013, 07:51:20 PM

I actually really liked that story. But, that may just be because Sano's my favorite RK character (well, tied with Saito, anyways).
Funny, Sano is my favorite too, along with Saito. (I think Saito may have surpassed him though) It's just that Sano is too unsure of what the hell he wants to do and that showed in that story. Plus it felt like an intermission or something because he came back like nothing happened to do the same thing he's been doing (basically just lending Kenshin a hand).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think the whole purpose of that side-story, however, was to make Saito realize that he can't just so easily get fed up with his friends and abandon them, like he did with Kenshin when he was depressed over "Kaoru's death." He abandoned his father and little sister when he was a kid to fight in the war, just thinking of his father as a coward. After returning home and helping him out, I guess it was just a good way for Sano to let off some steam and come back to his senses in order to support Kenshin. At any rate, I'm certainly not complaining about the side-story, as it was a nice way to give Sano some solo glory before the series ended, and I'm always up for that.

Avaitor

Speaking of Hawkeye, I did very much enjoy the first issue.

Especially since they plugged this gem at the end. More comics should have jazz recommendations in them.

New blog!