What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I finished Rurouni Kenshin volume 28 today thus finishing the series  :'( It was sad for me from the start because of the intro where Watsuki was serious for once, thanked everyone and drew himself bowing. Not even when I finished 100 Bullets was I this sad to end a series
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, whenever a long-running series with characters I actually give a shit about has a good run all of the way through (with maybe a few stumbles in quality in-between), I get pretty sad to see it end, too. Good thing most series I read fuck-up somewhere along the line, then! ;D

gunswordfist

lol Shitty series also don't make me depressed. Finding out that a 3rd of the book was actually a preview of another Watsuki series that I want give a chance meaning that the ending of RK snuck up on me out of nowhere was depressing though :cry:

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I'm always sad when I finish something I really like. I was quite sad to finish Urusei Yatsura recently, since it had a very consistent run through and through, and I felt Takahashi could have gone on with the series for a bit longer (although it was already really long, but anyway). However, at the same time I'm glad when a great series has a deserved and great ending. I'd rather series have a short lifespan where they are consistent in quality throughout it's run and have a great ending, then if they went on forever and ever continually decreasing in quality and maybe even not achieving a satisfactory ending.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hell, why don't I just list all of the series that I was sad to complete?

Let's see. There's:

Yu Yu Hakusho (the anime in this case, but I just had to list it)
Monster
20th Century Boys
Hikaru no Go
Rurouni Kenshin
Great Teacher Onizuka (I know about Shonan 14 days, but that's an in-between-quel, not a sequel)
Dragon Ball
Slam Dunk
Bakuman

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm..., while I have completed my fair share of manga, only a couple I would say I was heart-breaking sad to finish:

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Urusei Yatsura
InuYasha
Ranma 1/2
Trigun Maximum
Lupin the Third

(I'm not counting the ones where it was the anime ending that got to me and not the manga one, like Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's a complete list nonetheless.)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2013, 07:58:35 PM
Yu Yu Hakusho
I was sad to finish it because he let the quality drop like a rock and never brought it back to the standard it deserved. It's completely terrible after about the time Yusuke decides to go to Demon World and never gets better.

I'm glad the anime managed to salvage it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 21, 2013, 05:45:59 PM
Yeah, I'm always sad when I finish something I really like. I was quite sad to finish Urusei Yatsura recently, since it had a very consistent run through and through, and I felt Takahashi could have gone on with the series for a bit longer (although it was already really long, but anyway). However, at the same time I'm glad when a great series has a deserved and great ending. I'd rather series have a short lifespan where they are consistent in quality throughout it's run and have a great ending, then if they went on forever and ever continually decreasing in quality and maybe even not achieving a satisfactory ending.
Yeah, with both RK and 100 Bullets, they could have went on forever but I'd take their good endings over that any day.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I read part 4 of Superman: Birthright. This is turning out to easily be the best Superman-related thing that I've experienced, so far. Clark Kent/Superman is more likable and relate-able in this story than I've ever seen him in anything else. Admittedly this is so far the only actual comic that I've read for this character, though, so that's probably not much to go on, but its certainly better than any of his TV or film iterations that I've seen.

gunswordfist

I was just going to mention how sad the ending of Superman Birthright made me. Also Superman Secret Identity tugged a few heartstrings as well.

Foggle

This new Deadpool run is the real deal. Second arc has been FUCKING AMAZING so far. I'm really engrossed in the story and I've actually been surprised at how dark it's gotten at times. Really good stuff!

gunswordfist

Oh man, I really need to catch up. I was surprised how dark Deadpool Classic got.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've gone back to reading Essential Spider-Man. I just got to the graduation issue. For an old and campy 1960's comic, these stories can still be surprisingly entertaining. I really liked the first 2 Spider-Man annuals a lot, as well, and I'll probably work my way around to the 3rd one soon.

I'm also starting up Excel Saga volume 2 today.

gunswordfist

I need to start on that and Essential X-Men.

Avaitor

The third annual's a fun one. That's where Spidey turns down the Avengers. :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/