What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 29, 2013, 05:08:11 PM
We need more main characters in shonen series who are like Kenshin Himura. By that, I don't mean that they necessarily have to have some intricate back-story or anything like that, but more that they should have a really good balance between a serious and humorous side. When Kenshin is normal, he can be lighthearted, caring, and even funny, but when he's serious he has that bad-ass persona that let's you know that he's the real deal. All the while he never feels like he's ever invincible, and he clearly has his own character development to go through as the series progresses, besides just what he went through in his past.

I agree 100%. This is all I really ask for. Even though I'm no fan of secondary characters who're there just for comedic purposes I can settle for them, but just give me more main characters who're like Kenshin. I don't think I've even seen a character come close to being similar to Kenshin.

I'd even settle for having more main characters similar to Yusuke, even though one could say Ichigo was close to that, but I'd argue that he's way too fragile and easy to break (in terms of emotions and whatnot). Ageha Yoshina (Psyren) on the other hand, imo is the next best thing next to Yusuke.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on August 29, 2013, 06:06:37 PMI don't think I've even seen a character come close to being similar to Kenshin.

I've always found Vash to be pretty similar. Althrough, Trigun is a seinen series rather than a shounen.

QuoteI'd even settle for having more main characters similar to Yusuke, even though one could say Ichigo was close to that, but I'd argue that he's way too fragile and easy to break (in terms of emotions and whatnot). Ageha Yoshina (Psyren) on the other hand, imo is the next best thing next to Yusuke.

Agreed, on both counts.

Yusuke isn't an incredibly deep character, but I love how he's not your standard "goody-two-shoes" protagonist that you see in most shounen series. He is certainly the "good guy" of the series, but he's usually not really concerned about what's morally right in a situation (and any concerns he did have was resolved in his confrontation with Doctor), and instead focuses on the best way to get the job done. There's that, and he also has that quality of being a total bad-ass when the situation calls for it, but also never seems invincible or too over-powered at any point in the series, just like Kenshin. And also, even though he's not "book smart" by any means, I like how he's not a total goof-ball idiot outside of just fights, like most main characters in shounen series are. There was a time when I used to find that quality amusing, but seeing almost every generic shounen series out there use that character trope to death completely burned me out of it, and now I find ANY character of that type to be more annoying than fun, with the exception of Goku and Luffy, though Luffy is starting to get one my nerves at times. I give Goku a pass because he's probably the only "right" way to even do that character to begin with, IMO.

LumRanmaYasha

Kenshin predates Vash though, so Nightow could have certainly drawn some inspiration for the character from him. Also, the first Trigun manga was shonen. When the series became Trigun Maximum, then, it became seinin (of course, the anime is also seinen, but the manga came first).  ;)

Again, Toriko is pretty refreshing as a modern shonen protagonist in some senses since he's not an idiot in any capacity, ever, and only acts goofy when it comes to eating and savoring good food (these moments being genuinely funny).  Otherwise he acts carefree, but when it comes to his job he is professional and always takes it seriously. I don't think he'd get on anyone's nerves.

And I've also always loved that Yusuke wasn't a goody-two shows hero and never became one.  :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

I want a main character like Leorio. Not overly tough, not overly goofy, has a brain and a lot of charisma.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2013, 10:56:51 PM
I want a main character like Leorio. Not overly tough, not overly goofy, has a brain and a lot of charisma.
Hmmm.

And yeah, Vash and Kenshin are similar. I always prefered Vash because he has more personality but reading the RK manga really made me appreciate the little things about Kenshin.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

A few thoughts on the last two comics I read:

100 Bullets continues being awesome. The protagonist of the fifth volume is one Milo Garrett; a private-dick who has gotten in way over his head, as private-dicks are wont to do. Milo is an interesting addition to the motley crew that is the cast of 100 Bullets, not least when it comes to his character design. Not sure why, but there's something about a face hidden behind bandages that I've always found to be a very striking visual.

Rex Mundi is a comic that really should be more well-known. Arvid Nelson's alternative Europe in which the Inquisition is still a thing and magic is real is one of the most complete and interesting worlds I've visited. In addition, the art by Juan Ferreyra is simply amazing.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Pharass on August 30, 2013, 09:04:42 AM
A few thoughts on the last two comics I read:

100 Bullets continues being awesome. The protagonist of the fifth volume is one Milo Garrett; a private-dick who has gotten in way over his head, as private-dicks are wont to do. Milo is an interesting addition to the motley crew that is the cast of 100 Bullets, not least when it comes to his character design. Not sure why, but there's something about a face hidden behind bandages that I've always found to be a very striking visual.

Rex Mundi is a comic that really should be more well-known. Arvid Nelson's alternative Europe in which the Inquisition is still a thing and magic is real is one of the most complete and interesting worlds I've visited. In addition, the art by Juan Ferreyra is simply amazing.
Milo was, I believe, one of my top 4 favorite 100 Bullets characters. 100 Bullets should be mandatory reading for AR. My absolute favorite comic book series.

Daxdiv

I've been reading part 1 & 2 of the latest Avatar: The Last Airbender trilogy, The Search. So far, like how The Promise felt like a lost episode of the series, The Search continues that trend. Right now, the story does focus more on Zuko, Azula, and Ursa. We do get a glimpse of what Ursa's life was and how before she was betrothed to Ozai, she was engaged to another man called Ikem. You know how Iroh said in "Avatar and the Firelord" that Ursa is a descendent of Roku? Well that's the reason Ozai and Ursa got married, the royal family wanted some selective breeding, with having the bloodlines of the royal family, along with one of the previous Avatar, they thought they could make a firebender of great power.

As far as what Aang is doing in this series... some stuff that does deal with the Spirit World, since we did encounter this Wolf in the first volume, then in the end of volume 2 we meet this figure called "The Mother of Faces"

Though they did throw one major plot twist

Spoiler
Apparently, Zuko is not Ozai's son, but rather Ikem. This could change with part 3, but even I was stunned when I realized what I read. Zuko actually did take that news better than I expected, since he did mention that it does explain how he got exiled, and how his father treated him.

As for other stuff, The Search does confirm that Ursa played a part in killing Azulon, she made some poison that doesn't leave a trace. Her banishment was arranged by Ozai in exchange to spare Zuko and to kill off his Azulon so he could get the Throne.
[close]

Even if that one major plot twist does feel very out of left field, I'm still enjoying this mini-series, as it does explain some stuff that was left ambiguous in the series proper. I do look forward to part 3 in October.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually read the comics, as well, though I forgot to mention that before (in my case, it turned out that my local library had them up to date). As for the plot twist:

Spoiler
It honestly didn't feel that out of left-field to me. The show pretty much hinted that Ursa was involved in Azulon's death as early as the episode "Zuko Alone" with her banishment coinciding exactly with the time of Azulon's untimely demise. Really, I wouldn't even call that much of a plot twist. I'm pretty sure fans must have suspected for a long time now that she played a hand in his death in exchange for Zuko's life.
[close]

Daxdiv

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 30, 2013, 10:18:09 PM
I actually read the comics, as well, though I forgot to mention that before (in my case, it turned out that my local library had them up to date). As for the plot twist:

Spoiler
It honestly didn't feel that out of left-field to me. The show pretty much hinted that Ursa was involved in Azulon's death as early as the episode "Zuko Alone" with her banishment coinciding exactly with the time of Azulon's untimely demise. Really, I wouldn't even call that much of a plot twist. I'm pretty sure fans must have suspected for a long time now that she played a hand in his death in exchange for Zuko's life.
[close]

Actually... I just put that other one in the spoiler tag cause I was lazy.  I was mostly referring to the other plot twist, since it did make it on TV Tropes page for Fan-Disliked Explanation. Probably should have separated those 2 in retrospect. But still, the other minor one was that was one of the most speculated things in the show's fandom.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, I see, well:

Spoiler
To me, that other plot twist makes sense as well. The thing about Zuko not being Ozai's son explains why he was never a prodigy at firebending like his sister Azula was. I mean, it makes more sense that he can be a pretty good firebender in his own right being the descendant of Avatar Roku himself, but being that both of his direct parents were non-benders, it would also make sense that he's certainly not naturally talented with it. That would also make Ozai's natural dislike for his own son (and favoritism of Azula) make sense, especially since he was willing to kill Zuko at one point until Ursa intervened, AND he banished him without a second thought just for speaking out against him.
[close]

So, yeah, I'd say that other twist isn't completely out of let field, either.

gunswordfist

For comic books I think everyone should read, I'd go: (ordered by how much I like them)
1. 100 Bullets
2. Watchmen
3. The Walking Dead
4. All-Star Superman
5. Planet Hulk

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll do a list of what I think are the top 5 most essential "shounen" manga to read:

1. Rurouni Kenshin (entry to drama/action manga)
2. Dragon Ball (entry to adventure/comedy/action manga)
3. Black Jack (entry to Tezuka manga)
4. Slam Dunk (entry to sports manga)
5. Death Note (entry to shallow but insanely entertaining "mind-game" type manga)

And for "seinen" manga:

Monster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys, or Berserk (take your pick; you really can't go wrong)

gunswordfist

Still need to continue 20th Century Boys.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 31, 2013, 10:42:46 PM
I'll do a list of what I think are the top 5 most essential "shounen" manga to read:

1. Rurouni Kenshin (entry to drama/action manga)
2. Dragon Ball (entry to adventure/comedy/action manga)
3. Black Jack (entry to Tezuka manga)
4. Slam Dunk (entry to sports manga)
5. Death Note (entry to shallow but insanely entertaining "mind-game" type manga)

No Shonan Junai Gumi or even Great Teacher Onizuka? I'm surprised E-K.  :o

Anyway, I definitely can't disagree with you, since those 5 are easily some of the greatest shonen manga of all time. So instead, I will make a Top 5 most underrated Shonen manga nobody here but me has read but could like and really, really should check out list   :awesome:

1. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (representing action-comedy)- Insane satire of action-adventure shonen manga, while still being one itself, with hilarious character and beautiful irreverence. My favorite manga. EVER.
2. Urusei Yatsura (representing romantic comedy)- A classic manga comedy from Rumiko Takahashi, and arguably her best or second best work depending on how you feel about Maison Ikkoku;)
3. Astro Boy (representing classic and Tezuka's manga) - How can you not read this manga? It's a classic for a reason, and you'll be surprised at how...political it can get in some arcs. Otherwise, it's simply great storytelling from the master of manga.
4. Animal Land (representing currently ongoing and drama manga) - This doesn't even have a Wikapedia page, which shows how really underrated it is! But it's a smart story, probably the best ongoing shonen manga right now (yes, I know Kuroko's Basketball is excellent, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet), and I can guarantee you that you'll find this a breath of fresh air from modern battle shonen manga cliches and sensibilities.
5. Yotsuba (representing slice of life manga) - Life, real life, can be very funny, especially if it's the life of a naive little kid playing around, carefree, every day. No extreme wackiness in this manga; most everything is plausible in real life, and all the funnier for it.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 31, 2013, 10:42:46 PMMonster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys, or Berserk (take your pick; you really can't go wrong)

Everyone should also read Excel Saga, the greatest seinin comedy ever, Oishinbo, the greatest seinin cooking manga ever, and Maison Ikkoku, the greatest seinin romance story ever.  Those are, of course, my personal opinions, but...I'm right!  8)

Speaking of seinin manga, Lone Wolf and Cub is a top priority for me to read once I'm done going through Maison Ikkoku, since it's apparenlty, y'know, the greatest manga ever and all.  :sweat: