What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

There's really no way it can. In Dr. Slump, the Sun has a smiley face and talks, there are anthropomorphic poop, there is an entirely different god of the universe that has no relation to the Kais, Arale and Obatchaman split the earth in half multiple times, etc, all of which are certainly not seen in Dragon Ball. Essentially, I believe that the Penguin Village seen in Dragon Ball is an alternate version existing in the DB universe, where most of the things that have happened to the characters happened (since the characters are all as they are at the end of Slump), but following the rules of the DB world rather than the Slump world.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, that was the other fan theory that I was talking about having heard a lot. I suppose the people who think otherwise either haven't read enough of Dr. Slump, or just really try to stretch their logic as much as possible for no real reason other than to not admit that they are wrong.

Avaitor

I picked AnJ back up, now that I have a little more free time.

Damn, Gondou plays dirty.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love the use of Wolf as a recurring character, and how Gondo essentially points out how his fate, which seems similar to Joe's at first, is incredibly different. Whereas Wolf has been hiding behind his past glory but utterly lost his fighting spirit in the face of defeat, Joe still has his spark, and Gondo can see that, even if Joe is unaware of it himself. That said, I like how Joe steps in to defend his former rival, all the same. Previously, he wouldn't bother himself to do anything for anyone, besides himself. It really goes to show how much he, and his perspective on life, has changed.

It's worth pointing our that the anime is a lot more sympathetic to Wolf as a character, though, and actually portrays him in a more positive light. He also gets some added scenes with Joe (as does Gondo) which I find to be particularly well handled.

Avaitor

Oh sweet, I'll have to keep that in mind. I have to pause right now, so my last chapter was 78. Hopefully I can read some more tonight.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Carlos is making me a little uncomfortable, but I can't tell if it's because of his chauvinistic ways or his racist portrayal. It's most likely both.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't think it's a racist portrayal. The manga is much smarter than that, IMO. He's purposely written to be a womanizer and very egocentric. He's meant to represent the "playboy" athlete celebrities of that generation. As proof that the author isn't being racist, though, just look at Mendoza's character. He's portrayed as respectable and represents the ideal athlete. Hell, in many cases Joe is made to look like the ass-hole whenever he confronts him.

So, with Carlos, his character is intentionally written to be a bit of an unlikable douchebag, but even then, he has some redeeming qualities to him that makes him a bit more sympathetic later on.

Also, I don't know if you've taken notice to it, but Takamori and Chiba have some interesting commentary on sexism with Yoko's character. None of the other owners or chairman in the Japanese Boxing Commission take her seriously, and they clearly look down on her as a woman. Yet, she uses people underestimating her to her advantage and is shown to be better at their "game" than they are. By no means does it portray her as a saint, but on the contrary, she's very bold and can play just as dirty as the guys in terms of behind the scenes business. I personally find it to be very clever in a more subtle way, rather than directly rubbing the issue in your face. That's just my interpretation, though.

Avaitor

Hmm, you have a good point. I didn't think that Carlos was meant to be likable, at least not with his womanizing attitude. If he was, then I'd have some issues, but I get what you're talking about.

And I guess he isn't racist, but I did kind of get that vibe at first. Then again, it's 3:30 am and I'm waiting for a Fellini movie to air on TCM, so I may not be in the best train of thought right now. Chapter 90 had a great ending, though.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that he becomes a little more likable after he gains some respect for Joe, but his main purpose is to be Joe's motivation in place of Rikiishi. In that regard, I think he's still at least portrayed in a respectable light, what with how he makes quick work of the Japanese champion like its nothing. Takamori and Chiba don't shy away from the fact that the Japanese are considered to be largely inferior when it comes to most international sports.

VLordGTZ

I just finished reading Parasyte.  I loved Shinichi's development throughout the story as well as the story's message about humanity.  CX was right when he called it the greatest action-horror manga ever.  I think I'll now go back to reading Ashita no Joe and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run (both of which are great so far  :)).

LumRanmaYasha

I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. Parasyte is definitely a classic, and worthy of being considered one of the best manga out there.

I also need to get back to reading SBR. I have a lot of things I want to finish reading before the end of the year...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll read Parasyte after I finish the anime, since it seems to have enough differences from the anime adaptation, but is still close enough where I don't want to spoil future plot points for myself.

Anyways, I hope that you enjoy AnJ, VLord. I think that it's great all-around, personally, but it definitely became a favorite of mine after the Rikiishi arc.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Did anyone buy the next Monster release yet?

I was actually going to put in on my Christmas list, but I ended up with a little more cash than usual to hold me back until I get this job, so I went for it anyway. I can't wait to dig into it!

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Mine came a week back. I'm not at home, of course, so I won't have a chance to read it until Thanksgiving break.