What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Thanks, Pharass. I knew I could count on you. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

So I read the new Ms. Marvel, and they kept mentioning Inhumans in every other page. I know Marvel's trying to shill Inhumans as the new big thing, but it's as obnoxious as a few years ago when Deadpool was in everything.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 12, 2015, 12:50:47 AM
So I read the new Ms. Marvel, and they kept mentioning Inhumans in every other page. I know Marvel's trying to shill Inhumans as the new big thing, but it's as obnoxious as a few years ago when Deadpool was in everything.
:srs: Prepare to get shanked by me and Foggle.

But seriously, just a day ago I was thinking about how The Inhumans could be big if done right....sounds like Marvel isn't doing it right.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I haven't been watching it since the end of season 1, isn't Marvel also shoehorning in some Inhumans related plot into AOS right now?

If they keep this up, they'll make people sick of the Inhumans before the actual movie even begins production.

Foggle

The problem with Deadpool popping up everywhere back then is that nobody knew how to properly write him. He ended up having lots of terrible appearances in random comics that either turned potential new readers off of the character or annoyed people who were already fans because he was OOC. I've seen plenty of people who think DP is awful and refuse to read the good runs because of this.

gunswordfist

I actually agree. Just a day or two I saw Deadpool on an online cover of something he should have not been in. :wth: (Don't ask me to remember what it was)

I liked what I saw of The Inhumans in what I've read of War Of Kings. That seemed like a good arc. I want to finish it. It made me a Gladiator fan as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 12, 2015, 11:53:25 AM
The problem with Deadpool popping up everywhere back then is that nobody knew how to properly write him. He ended up having lots of terrible appearances in random comics that either turned potential new readers off of the character or annoyed people who were already fans because he was OOC. I've seen plenty of people who think DP is awful and refuse to read the good runs because of this.
Yes, this was my experience. My friend introduced me to Deadpool long before he got popular. He was a mega-fan. Then they started shoving the character down everyone's throats and he was EVERYWHERE. Even my friend started getting sick of him. It also didn't help that he was fairly awfully written most of the time. Thankfully that's all died down now.

If this Inhumans push is anything like that, be ready to outright hate them for a while until Marvel finally backs off.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Deadpool is an excellent character, easily one of Marvel's greatest and deepest. The good runs are excellent and by far some of the most consistent superhero comics ever, but he's also very hard to write for most people, so many of his appearances outside the monthly and various limiteds are godawful.

gunswordfist

Trying to do my top 30 favorite comic book villains and heroes. Damn, I did not know I had about 50 favorite heroes until I tried to do a least. Sheesh, this is hard. :gonk:

gunswordfist

Foggle

gunswordfist

My favorite X-Men team (including Beast, Nightcrawler and Colossus on it.)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 13, 2015, 06:03:59 PM
My favorite X-Men team (including Beast, Nightcrawler and Colossus on it.)
Same here, as well as Jean Grey. (Same additional characters, too.)

Might be the one I grew up with, but I enjoy all the contrasting personalities working as a team.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I almost specifically didn't mention Jean,  :D , but I hear that they made her kind of week in the cartoons compared to how she was in the comics at the time.

Spark Of Spirit

She's much better elsewhere.

But yeah, that team of ten with Charles being Charles is my personal favorite bunch.