What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I got The ones with Deadpool and Deadpool Kill The Marvel Universe.

Spider-Gwen seems interesting...well, I just pretty much mean the art since I know so little about it. :D I'd catch up on Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man before I'd read that though. And I thought you finished Excel Saga like 30 years ago.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2015, 09:02:34 PM
I got The ones with Deadpool and Deadpool Kill The Marvel Universe.
Good choices! I love the Spider-Man and Captain America crossovers in that first one. Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe is pretty divisive, but I'm a big fan. Be sure to pick up Deadpool Killustrated if you like that one - it's a masterpiece.

QuoteSpider-Gwen seems interesting...well, I just pretty much mean the art since I know so little about it. :D I'd catch up on Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man before I'd read that though. And I thought you finished Excel Saga like 30 years ago.
The art and writing are both really great IMO. There are only like 4 issues out so far (including that Spider-Verse thing), so it's not exactly a lengthy read. :lol:

The Ultimate Universe is awful, as is the USM TV show, but I love Bendis' Spider-Man. He makes the characters and story so engaging.

The final volume of Excel Saga only just came out last year. :-X The story is extremely hard to follow, so I wanted to revisit the previous 25 volumes before reading the last two. Sadly, I got bogged down with other things, so my re-read had to be postponed.

gunswordfist

Never heard of Deadpool Killustrated. I love good Deadpool comics that I have never heard of! Thank you!

I'll see where I'll stand on DKtMU. I forget if I knew a little bit about The ones with Deadpool. I basically just picked up every Deadpool book the library had. lol

lol That's right, SG did just start.

Bendis does write a good Spider-Man

I assumed Excel Saga was finished like 10 years ago. :rtard: I hope you can do that reread soon.  :)

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2015, 10:09:29 PM
Never heard of Deadpool Killustrated. I love good Deadpool comics that I have never heard of! Thank you!
It's the sequel to Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe. ;) There's also a third part called Deadpool Kills Deadpool, but I haven't read that one yet.

QuoteI forget if I knew a little bit about The ones with Deadpool. I basically just picked up every Deadpool book the library had. lol
It has the three Annuals from the most recent run by Duggan and Posehn, as well as a Captain America crossover one-shot that leads into the Axis story arc. You might not want to read that last one until you've at least read through The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (volume 3) due to potential spoilers, though.

QuoteBendis does write a good Spider-Man
I'm iffy on his writing for certain books, but he really defined Peter Parker for me, and Miles Morales is an excellent addition to the Marvel universe, if a bit underutilized. His characterization of Peter is the best I've ever seen - nuanced and flawed, but still funny and likable.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 27, 2015, 11:26:49 PM

It's the sequel to Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe. ;) There's also a third part called Deadpool Kills Deadpool, but I haven't read that one yet.
I'm not sure how a book like that would have a sequel...WAIT, DON'T TELL ME!

QuoteIt has the three Annuals from the most recent run by Duggan and Posehn, as well as a Captain America crossover one-shot that leads into the Axis story arc. You might not want to read that last one until you've at least read through The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (volume 3) due to potential spoilers, though.
I have no idea what the Axis arc is but jst in case, I won't read it yet. Thanks. :)

I'm iffy on his writing for certain books, but he really defined Peter Parker for me, and Miles Morales is an excellent addition to the Marvel universe, if a bit underutilized. His characterization of Peter is the best I've ever seen - nuanced and flawed, but still funny and likable.
I think Ultimate Spider-Man may actually be my 2nd favorite Spider-Man. I think I kind of lumped him in with 616 lol. I think I read a short comic book featuring 616 Spidey but Ultimate was the first one that I really read a lot of.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2015, 11:41:03 PM
I have no idea what the Axis arc is but jst in case, I won't read it yet. Thanks. :)
It's a bit complicated to follow, but I really love the newest Deadpool run! Here's my suggested reading order if you want to get the most out of it:

Vol. 1: Dead Presidents
Vol. 2: Soul Hunter
Vol. 3: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
Vol. 4: Deadpool vs. S.H.I.E.L.D.
Dracula's Gauntlet (this is extremely important and good; definitely should have been volume 5 IMO)
Vol. 5: The Wedding of Deadpool
Vol. 6: Original Sin
The Ones With Deadpool (specifically the Captain America crossover, you can read the rest whenever)
Hawkeye vs. Deadpool (not really necessary, but it's also written by Duggan and definitely worth reading)
Vol. 7: Axis (sadly the cliffhanger in #38 leads into an issue of the stupid crossover event - Avengers & X-Men: Axis #7 - which isn't included in the book. you only really miss one fight scene if you skip it, though)
Vol. 8: All Good Things

QuoteI think Ultimate Spider-Man may actually be my 2nd favorite Spider-Man. I think I kind of lumped him in with 616 lol. I think I read a short comic book featuring 616 Spidey but Ultimate was the first one that I really read a lot of.
Which one is your favorite? I'll have to check it out.

Ultimate Spidey isn't too terribly different from 616 Spider-Man or anything, I just feel that Bendis did the best job with the character of any writer. :D

gunswordfist

Thanks! I will follow that order. I had no clue Deadpool was on another good run. I actually have Dead Presidents on hold at the library, iirc.

Spider-Man Noir is my favorite and my 4th favorite superhero overall. Peter in that seems to be the most well put together version of the character that I've ever seen. Also, the art is very cool and surprisingly enough, he isn't a killing machine in the book. I have his 2nd story on hold. As far as I know, he's only in two stories. Edit: And yeah, Ultimate Spidey is pretty much the same as 616. :D

Foggle

Cool, I should check that out then. I loved the Noir levels in Shattered Dimensions. :)

I think that's why Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty much the only good book in the Ultimate universe... it didn't ruin his character like what happened to everyone else. It was more of a reboot than anything, really.

gunswordfist

Shattered Dimensions was the first time I've seen Noir myself. :) I still need to get past his 2nd level though, lol.

I think Ultimate universe was originally supposed to be just for Spider-Man. It of course started out with his separate universe reboot, which explains a lot about other book's quality.

Foggle

Speaking of great Spider-Man comics, check out this one: http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/5267901.html

gunswordfist

:huh: Stopped on #1. My interest is piqued. I'll get the comic myself.

gunswordfist

How's Howard The Duck?

Anyway, I'm surprised that the Garth Ennis wrote The Thousand seeing how he claims to hate superheroes so much. lol

I'm getting Spider-Man Noir Eyes Without A Face soon and I'll tell y'all how it is after I read it.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 29, 2015, 07:26:28 PM
How's Howard The Duck?
Hilarious. Chip Zdarsky's writing is amazing. I'd love to see him do a Deadpool book someday.

QuoteAnyway, I'm surprised that the Garth Ennis wrote The Thousand seeing how he claims to hate superheroes so much. lol
Apparently he loves Superman and doesn't mind a few others (including Spider-Man, I suppose).

gunswordfist

...also, I have no fucking clue what Howard The Duck is about. I just saw him for the first time on a cover at comicvine like days ago and before that, just heard him in jokes where people bring up his name among serious superheroes.

Apparently Garth Ennis' least favorite superhero is Wolverine...but then he did intro for Wolverine Enemy Of The State where he praised the book. :wth: I think he mentioned how he didn't really like superheroes there too. :wth: :wth: :wth: :wth:

Foggle

Howard the Duck is about a talking duck living in a world of superheroes; ironically, he's the most "normal" protagonist in the Marvel universe. The current Howard series seems to be a parody/crossover book making light of comic books/characters past and present, while I hear the original series was more barbed and often used as a soapbox decrying conservative politics. It's good stuff.

Garth Ennis is a talented writer, but he's also completely nuts and has put out a lot of offensive/bad books over the years. His work is best avoided unless you hear it frequently praised beforehand.